MGB658 Scratch built

Thank you folks for your kind comments, there's plenty of room in here :bounce: They have even given me my own room with nice purple padding! From what I see on here there are plenty of contenders on here . . . .

" even if I know I will never emulate the skills on display "

06/24 Trust me there's not a lot of skill just doggedness, pushed on by you lot ! You get to see only a small proportion of my failures, the small instrument panel with clock and barometer was my third attempt :banghead:

Thanks again for keeping an eye on me

Kev

• Like 4

I thought for a bit of light relief I would put together the Great Little Ships 20mm Oerlikon :hmmm:

The detail is fantastic, barrels not even cleaned up

P1070671 (Copy)

Three pieces of etch make up the carrige each side

P1070693 (Copy)

P1070694 (Copy)

P1070695 (Copy)

Two pieces to make up the shield

P1070696 (Copy)

P1070697 (Copy)

Happy Days

P1070701 (Copy)

P1070702 (Copy)

Then a BIG black cloud covers the sun! I think you'll agree the above parts are rather tasty but some one put a lump of white metal in from another kit.

The deformed object is supposed to be a magazine, you even get etched front and back plates - shame they don't fit . . . .

The piece on the right is my progress so far in making the correct shape

P1070700 (Copy)

Can you spot the difference ? :winkgrin:

I guess I'll try and make a master and cast some replacements, so 'after market' for 'after market'

Ok rant over, normal service will be resumed after a dispose of a rather nice bottle of red . . . .

Thanks for looking in

Kev

PS Whats the best filler to wipe in between the layers of photo etch?

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 5

I thought for a bit of light relief I would put together the Great Little Ships 20mm Oerlikon :hmmm:

The detail is fantastic, barrels not even cleaned up

P1070671Copy_zps1b9e0e8f.jpg

Three pieces of etch make up the carrige each side

P1070693Copy_zps3de03a76.jpg

P1070694Copy_zps6e0e47f5.jpg

P1070695Copy_zps2912c3f5.jpg

Two pieces to make up the shield

P1070696Copy_zps9dbb1b9b.jpg

P1070697Copy_zps5096b28f.jpg

Happy Days

P1070701Copy_zps1972d9ed.jpg

P1070702Copy_zps1b8e50c6.jpg

Then a BIG black cloud covers the sun! I think you'll agree the above parts are rather tasty but some one put a lump of white metal in from another kit.

The deformed object is supposed to be a magazine, you even get etched front and back plates - shame they don't fit . . . .

The piece on the right is my progress so far in making the correct shape

P1070700Copy_zpse8e7608f.jpg

Can you spot the difference ? :winkgrin:

I guess I'll try and make a master and cast some replacements, so 'after market' for 'after market'

Ok rant over, normal service will be resumed after a dispose of a rather nice bottle of red . . . .

Thanks for looking in

Kev

PS Whats the best filler to wipe in between the layers of photo etch?

Best filler is "Gator Grip Glue" available from Kenny Loup down in "Coon- bottom" country USA, ( can be found on JImbo's site).(hey ! autochange of Coon**s to Coon bottom !!!! This will tickle a lot of American's from Louisiana pink).

Have you checked around for after market parts in the appropriate scale? ( bet you have).

Try a South American Pinot Noir, (preferably Valdevieso). This will ease the pain.

Keep going mate :boxing: you are winning :)

Edited by Gremlin56
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Been struggling with soldering up hand rails on the searchlight platform.

As good as I'm going to get

P1070748 (Copy)

P1070749 (Copy)

Followed by splinter padding, anyone know what they were stuffed with?

P1070750 (Copy)

P1070751 (Copy)

P1070752 (Copy)

P1070753 (Copy)

Still need to lace up the corners but need to find something thin enough! Bear in mind the loops are formed from 0.15 wire . .. .

Whilst I can still remember how to do the above I reckon I'll go on and do the new gun platform on the Vosper foredeck.

Thanks for looking in

Cheers Kev

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 9

I can't believe that I haven't chipped in before now, this really is a bit blooming wonderful, from the useful book tips on the first page to the superb detailing all the way thru, I'm loving it. I cut my teeth re coastal forces on a tatty copy of "Battle for the Narrow Seas" before I was ten. I've been fond of MTBs & MGBs & their ilk since. Gunboat 658 was a much enjoyed read, as was "in Harms Way" by Kiwi sailor Geoffery Hobday also in Dog boats. The cost & logistics of getting all the bits to NZ for a build like this are daunting, let alone finding the skills required, but heck, its getting easier to start to talk myself into with every installment. :)

Steve.

I love the detail and quality in this build. :goodjob: It makes me want to restart my stalled Ton Class model.

If you are open to advice, my thoughts would be to use Uschi super fine thread for the lacing.

I am looking forward to the next episode of a master class. :popcorn:

• Like 1