MGB658 Scratch built

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Great! They have finally rounded Longshanks up! :yahoo:I look forward to more of this not entirely forgettable build! More please! :poke:

I take it you feel I should stay in the Maritime section, out of the way lol

2 hours ago, BerndM said:

Awesome project, your modelling skills are simply amazing

Thank you sir but I'm just a master at plagiarizing! There is so much info/help available from friends/forum and club (Cornish Scale Modellers)

Kev

• Like 2

2 hours ago, longshanks said:

I take it you feel I should stay in the Maritime section, out of the way lol

Thank you sir but I'm just a master at plagiarizing! There is so much info/help available from friends/forum and club (Cornish Scale Modellers)

Kev

Not at all but I suspect that some might be discombobulated by some of those that escape with you! :frantic:

Not forgetting all the "encouragement" coming from the Red Planet! :devil:

Martian

• Like 1

Right where to start, nothing to taxing to start...........

I know a 'Mushroom Farm' 

There are 15/16 mushroom vents so I needed a way to cut 18 (spare for carpet monster) tubes 2mm long. Don't know about you by I can't tube in a straight line and it's too thick to 'roll the blade'.

Solution drill hole in block of wood, adjust depth with spacers in the bottom and saw off.

P1040645%20Copy_zpscqux8bex.jpg

P1040647%20Copy_zpspdkpkxct.jpg

I was so impressed with the results I drilled a new shallow hole in a Knot (my version of hardwood) and cut a bunch of deck plates .3mm thick, result....

P1040649%20Copy_zpsbwv86jeh.jpg

P1040652%20Copy_zpscmvo7x4z.jpg

Then it was on to cleaning out the resin cowl vents using various shape grinding stones. If you hold the piece up to the light, dark means OK light getting close....

P1040642%20Copy_zpsuzwd09j6.jpg

P1040643%20Copy_zps8lknn0im.jpg

Got to say it's good to be back :D

Thanks for stopping by 

Kev

• Like 7

Rather impressed with that technique, very useful for when the diameter of tube is too great for the Albion Alloys Cutter.

Martian

• Like 1

Hi Kev Just managed to catch up on this one.  Great stuff as usual. 

Fantastic tip about cutting tubes, Ive never managed to do it properly especially when making cable reels. Wish I had seen this a while back as most of them look like someone has driven a car into them...

Cheers

Guy

• Like 1

Started working on the smaller vents, all going well until I shot my self in the foot :banghead:

P1040658%20Copy_zpsosjjda5p.jpg

Managed to hollow them out but I was to clever, soon as I started to handle them, bits were crumbling off :hmmm: Nothing like making work for yourself. Back to pull moulding

P1040653%20Copy_zps8lgq8y82.jpg

Bit of faffing and I came up with these

P1040659%20Copy_zpspexychqv.jpg
P1040660%20Copy_zpsih31koyy.jpg

P1040661%20Copy_zpstwghspgj.jpg

Touch of primer and plonked in position, good enough for government work. Still need a clean up!
P1040662%20Copy_zps1yzpea77.jpg

P1040663%20Copy_zpspxkderro.jpg

Probably shouldn't show this (health & safety)  but..

Cutting of the dome can be a real pain so I rough cut them, blade hold them on the end of the former and spin the drill away from yourself. Place on mark and touch it to the rotating plastic. I use a normal DIY type battery drill cos its a lot slower than the small hobby drills. Nice clean straight cut. Please note you are responsible for your fingers/blood 

P1040655%20Copy_zpsrbzrmpdj.jpg

Thanks for stopping by

Kev

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 9

I was afraid I would be seeing a photo of all the finger tops lying on the bench and blood everywhere but luckily you seem to have everything under control Kev.

Good progress and several good tips here (and I don't mean the sacrificial removal of your fingertips).

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

I would say that those vents look better than the resin offerings.

I knew there would be one and that you would be that one :fight:

27 minutes ago, Gremlin56 said:

I was afraid I would be seeing a photo of all the finger tops lying on the bench and blood everywhere but luckily you seem to have everything under control Kev.

I can report thank no body parts were removed or damaged in the making of these vents (yet)

I know it's dumb but how else can I do it, open to suggestions...

As for being under control and not sure what / when that last occurred, if I had a mast I'd have two black balls up !!

Kev

• Like 1

The only thing I would try is coating the resin vents in an acrylic glue to create a layer around the vent. Not sure if this would work but would probably be the first experiment to save the resin vents. Glue of choice would be Kenny Loup's Gator Grip Glue from Louisiana USA, Coon-bottom country.......................................

Bottom of course being a**...................................Or posterior, or stern end or buttocks or derriere or arsch.....................................................

• Like 1

3 hours ago, longshanks said:

I knew there would be one and that you would be that one :fight:

That's great, a genuine compliment and all I get is abuse! Methinks I'll go back to being rude!

Martian (cut to the quick!)

• Like 1

Good idea for beefing up the resin but I was asking how to cut the tops off. :winkgrin:

The stretched plastic is only 0.04 mm thick having started at 0.35. Gluing the wire 0.17 around strengthens it no end.

21 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Methinks I'll go back to being rude!

and there in lies the problem :wicked: are you saying there was no devilment what so ever in your suggestion I make the larger vents to replace the resin ones I already have.

Kev

• Like 1

17 hours ago, longshanks said:

Good idea for beefing up the resin but I was asking how to cut the tops off. :winkgrin:

The stretched plastic is only 0.04 mm thick having started at 0.35. Gluing the wire 0.17 around strengthens it no end.

and there in lies the problem :wicked: are you saying there was no devilment what so ever in your suggestion I make the larger vents to replace the resin ones I already have.

Kev

Are you sitting down Kev? Good. No, I really did mean the plastic vents look better! Kev? Kev? speak to us!

Martian

• Like 1

Martian Please accept my apologise I didn't recognise you being sincere and thank you.

A  rather eclectic mix tonight 

Fairleads! After several attempts I came up with this

First off started with 1 x 2mm strip and drilled 0.8mm hole in centre of 1mm side

P1040668%20Copy_zpsyibw7fvq.jpg

Then separated and glued to 2 x 0.5mm base.
P1040669%20Copy_zpsqtadchwy.jpg

Glued a 1 x 0.5mm strip on top left to dry and worked at with files/sandpaper

P1040665%20Copy_zpsqld9qiee.jpg

P1040666%20Copy_zpss0ox6jp9.jpg

P1040667%20Copy_zpsbdeovmfj.jpg

Reckon when its had a final clean and a dose of primer it will pass muster

Next up were the bitts

Small ones midships for springs

P1040671%20Copy_zpsqhigsei3.jpg

Larger ones fore & aft for mooring/towing
P1040672%20Copy_zpshbxtr5zq.jpg

Lastly we have a pair of panel doors for the chartroom. Knobs were made from plastic rod fixed in position and brought a solder iron close to until it melted back to form knob
P1040674%20Copy_zpsvk1o0o1t.jpg

Thanks for looking in

Kev

• Like 7

Well looks like the old mojo for the floaty things is well and truly back

looks like you are now doing a speed build marathon all this scratch building production line stuff  :popcorn:

Beefy

• Like 1