MGB658 Scratch built

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's been a while but I've not been idle............

Not being satisfied with the results the hull has been painted and stripped three times :banghead:

I've tried acrylics, enamels, oils etc and I finished up using acrylics/airbrush and got the effect I was looking for

P1030988%20Copy_zpsnp8jehvp.jpg

P1030989%20Copy_zpsl90fkdcs.jpg

As you can see the hulls were pretty ratty mainly due to the fact that they were worked hard and operating from forward bases

First job was to mark the waterline

Step 1 mark the waterline on the hull, usually easiest on the side or transom Measured down from the deck.

Step 2 From a side elevation note the difference in height between the bow and stern. Set it up on the stand making sure its level across. Check height difference and adjust by packing up front or back.

Step 3 Find ' whatever ' to pack the pencil level with your earlier mark and draw around and we have a waterline.

P1030970e%20Copy_zpsronelmyy.jpg

P1030964%20Copy_zpseditx4cj.jpg

Hope your not bored ....

Coat of Vallejo French Mirage Blue = 507B. Grey black for anti fouling.

P1030972%20Copy_zpsvikrk7vk.jpg

Then it was a case of dribbling stains in random locations using seven different shades from white to black. Then I misted the whole boat with 507B lightened with white.

The results are difficult to capture on the camera but I hope you will trust me that its suitably 'ratty'

P1030980%20Copy_zpsng5dvdt6.jpg

P1030984%20Copy_zpsj6usl1om.jpg

P1030987%20Copy_zpsscaqwzx6.jpg

P1030992%20Copy_zpsu0vvb8vc.jpg

P1030996%20Copy_zpsvyllj3w0.jpg

Thanks for looking in

Kev

• Like 9

Paint job doesn't look ratty at all Kev, nice painted grey coat of paint :yahoo:

Not knocking your exhaust stains but if you see a bottle of Vallejo model air "Smoke" grab it. It has a nice oily, sooty color that I think you, being an aficionado, will appreciate :coolio:

• Like 1

Thanks guys for your kind comments............

17 hours ago, hendie said:

I'm way too heavy handed to achieve such subtle results. 

That's why it took three attempts :winkgrin:

Julien I already have a bottle and may well use it when I do the final weathering :thumbsup:

Now the bad news....

This build is on hold for a while. I need a break from the scratch building so I've started the Meng MkV Male over on armour WIP and your welcome to join me there. It will be built OOB so it shouldn't be tooooo long.

The good news, the only remaining significant sub-assembly left is the twin 20mm in power mount and from there it's down hill all the way.

Thank you all again for your support so far, I couldn't have done it without you

Kev

• Like 4

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 18:40, longshanks said:

Thanks guys for your kind comments............

That's why it took three attempts :winkgrin:

Julien I already have a bottle and may well use it when I do the final weathering :thumbsup:

Now the bad news....

This build is on hold for a while. I need a break from the scratch building so I've started the Meng MkV Male over on armour WIP and your welcome to join me there. It will be built OOB so it shouldn't be tooooo long.

The good news, the only remaining significant sub-assembly left is the twin 20mm in power mount and from there it's down hill all the way.

Thank you all again for your support so far, I couldn't have done it without you

Kev

Everyone over to armour to give Kev our support in the way only we can!

Martian

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 8:56 AM, foxy said:

Looking forward to seeing this completed.

You and me both, don't I'll be back !

6 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Everyone over to armour to give Kev our support in the way only we can!

Thank you kind Sir! I think  :winkgrin:

Kev

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm back from the Dark Side having built a  'rattling riveting rhomboid' as named by "J".  A Mk V Male tank WWI vintage, to the rest of us....

Having a had a change of pace and scale I thought it's time to get the bino's out and see what to do next. So to bring myself and you up to speed I thought I'd post some general pics to see where I'm at. Nothing fixed just in its approx location

P1040634%20Copy_zpsshjmeo2w.jpg
P1040635%20Copy_zpsk7vb5egs.jpg

P1040636%20Copy_zpsymg2texk.jpg

P1040637%20Copy_zpspjck9zpo.jpg

P1040638%20Copy_zpsokybup8x.jpg

P1040639%20Copy_zpsb8fktdbi.jpg

P1040640%20Copy_zpsigaw0vh5.jpg

P1040641%20Copy_zpsghiykidz.jpg

Inspired !!

Looks like the only major component left to build revolve around the Oerlikons, the twin power mount and the two single manual mounts.

So I guess these will be next up

Welcome back

Kev

• Like 6

Great! They have finally rounded Longshanks up! :yahoo:I look forward to more of this not entirely forgettable build! More please! :poke:

Martian