MGB658 Scratch built

6 hours ago, foxy said:

Kev on the move again.

'Well we all do that'.

Great work Kev what ever you do.

foxy B)

He's just running away from the likes of me!

Martian

• Like 2

A short break building something totally different either alongside this build or instead of may well help your mojo. Plus, I will be there to encourage you! :evil_laugh:

Martian

• Like 1

On ‎25‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 11:09 AM, Francis Macnaughton said:

Even with an Optivisor or similar, I wouldn't  be able to see the bits of plastic clearly enough to work at that level of detail

Francis next time your in the opticians ask for your reading glass prescription at x 4 magnification. Great for modelling and you can use them with an optivisor for a boost

Taking so many steps I'm running........

Thought while I'm on a roll I'll do all the ladders/steps for the boat

P1030952%20Copy_zpsbmvhhihf.jpg

Including two inclined at 10'. Cut the inner inserts at the angle, hopefully you can see the difference

P1030953%20Copy_zpsqnxrrin5.jpg

Next up is a crate on deck for ropes, towing wires, fenders etc,,,,

Thought I'd show you how I jig up to ensure all square. As per usual all pieces cut on a chopper to ensure maintain the same size.

P1030946%20Copy_zpsk2es9tmr.jpg

P1030948%20Copy_zpsxzqd27xv.jpg

P1030951%20Copy_zpswdsr7bbj.jpg

P1030954%20Copy_zpspftezubb.jpg

P1030956%20Copy_zpsqefqol7n.jpg

Went with a solid bottom , (scribed for planks ) to ensure its rigid

Thanks for looking in

Kev

• Like 4

4 hours ago, longshanks said:

Went with a solid bottom ,

Which is more than can be said for my bottom these days! Nice work though.

Martian

• Like 1

Kev - I'm intrigued by 2 things:

1) x4 magnification readers - that really works?  I was never hot on optics - but if you use a x 5 Optivisor (as I do) that gives you ?x20 magnification

2) And the mention of "The Chopper".  I've looked for a mini-guillotine and haven't found one.  Is there such a thing??

And BTW - love the crate :worthy:

There's a whole book of ideas and methods in this build!

In Awe

Rob

• Like 1

Cheers Julian, can't take credit for the crate. Seems to be a common occurrence. Looks from various pics that tow wires were rigged at sea ready for emergency use.

51 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Which is more than can be said for my bottom these days!

Definitely to much info there Martian but if you need to make your bottom rigid I could send round the boys!! :evil_laugh:

30 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

x4 magnification readers - that really works?

Rob I could do bu**er all without my x 4 readers. When I asked the optician, after explaining what I used them for. His reply was I could have whatever mag I wanted. I seem to recall I paid £69 for two pairs, result.

I also slip a pair of x4 off the shelf specs perched in front for extra zoom. As to what the actual mag is I have no idea, most days I have to read my tag to remember my name. :wicked:

I currently looking at buying an Optivisor, any one any recommends?

Multi Angle Craft and Hobby Guillotine

http://www.proopsbrothers.com/multi-angle-craft-and-hobby-guillotine-c6035-870-p.asp

Rubbish as it comes out of the box but a simple addition and I wouldn't be without it. I will take a pic tomorrow and post. Far easier than trying to explain

Cheers Kev

• Like 1

Kev,

Thanks for the bit about glasses.  I don't actually need reading glasses (at least I don't think I do) but I'll investigate whether vanity is depriving me of a greatly enhanced modelling experience!  The chopper is something I had been thinking of so looking forward to more on this

Francis

• Like 1

Right here we go, as you will see it's not rocket science but it transforms the tool.

The bed flexes all over the place and the cross support from the angle setter does not come close to the blade.

A simple L shape formed from two pieces of plastic (I guess wood could be used)

P1030958%20Copy_zpsaqtqebiw.jpg

P1030959%20Copy_zpsehfmyzus.jpg

The plastic strip to the right (arrow) is a stop so that a batch can be cut to the same length. This I superglue to the bed. Remove, a quick sand and your ready for the next section. As you can see I use masking tape to keep the bed in position. When cutting thin strip I use another piece of plastic to hold the strip against the backstop.

Hope this helps, any questions feel free.

For me the other essential for accuracy is an 'Incra Rule'. Using this you can measure / mark to 0.25mm.

http://www.incra.com/measuring_marking-marking_rules.html

Not cheap but...........

P1030960%20Copy_zpsahvacwfm.jpg

The squares marked out are 1.75mm wide with a 1mm border and they look fairly consistent to me, try that with a ruler
P1030957%20Copy_zpsiqiyfi88.jpg

Kev

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 6