MGB658 Scratch built

• 2 weeks later...

Back again, the next project is to detail the bridge. I thought I might start with the trickiest bit .............

The steering wheel which is 11mm diameter with nothing available commercially. Thinking cap on and a came up with the following (plus a headache)

0.5mm brass rod. The outer/inner ring 8/3mm diameter wheel from Aber etch set with centre removed. Drew it out on ally sheet thinking I'd keep it neat.

P1030765%20Copy_zpsysyl2iuu.jpg

Couldn't get brass to stick. Thinking the foil might be sucking the heat out I put the same pattern onto wood. Still nothing would stick :banghead:

Then Rich suggested more heat so binned soldering iron and used micro torch.

P1030787%20Copy_zpsd2oqroyg.jpg

Not pretty but it stuck

P1030788%20Copy_zps9qqeaa44.jpg

A soak in Acetone and a good clean up and I reckon I got a result

P1030789%20Copy_zpsnd5sgz2p.jpg

Result on the clean up, my hand was shaking so much (involuntary tremor they tell me) I only had to hold the files still and the shake did the rest lol
P1030790%20Copy_zpsxfjh6ebb.jpg

Thanks for stopping by

Kev

• Like 12

Cheers Dan :thumbsup2:

Julian 'BFG' I told you all that muck in your beer was bad for you! Wee Friends are 1/35 I'm working in 1/72...........................

Hendie I think of soldering as I do computers..................great when they work. This job would be impossible without solder paint.

Martin Praise indeed. I seem to remember you looking for a small steering wheel.... was it for a Clyde Puffer?

Thanks guys

Kev

• Like 1

Cheers Frank, RB Models do some nice ship fittings, bit big for my needs though. The smallest wheel they do is 16mm across the ring, mine is 8mm.

Finished cleaning up the wheel and built a pedestal for it

P1030805%20Copy_zpscuofqums.jpg

P1030806%20Copy_zpsj6hux8kj.jpg

P1030807%20Copy_zpsd24rtiw2.jpg

Happy days

I've been meaning to make a scale centre finder. The one I've got is a bit industrial for the size I work in.

So I thought I'd share with you how I made it.

0.5mm card marked out. I used a 30' angle but in truth it doesn't matter as you bisect the angle. For those that can't remember their school days............

Using compass/dividers strike an arc from A giving two points B. Then from B strike two arcs giving C, where they intersect is the angle bisected. The shaded area to be cut out.

P1030798e%20Copy_zpsz1kjf55t.jpg

Having cut out the shaded triangle I glued two pieces of 0.5mm thick card to follow the outside triangle. Shown is a disc in position for marking when the jig is turned over.
P1030800%20Copy_zpsv4nsftmz.jpg

This shows the disc having been rotated/marked three times.
P1030802%20Copy_zpso6csjupj.jpg

Proof is in the marking, I've used this on a disc 2mm diameter
P1030803e%20Copy_zpsbnwjdeoq.jpg

Hope this of use to someone out there.............

Thanks for stopping by

Kev

• Like 10

Any chance of a view of the boat as she stands now Kev?

With my useless "B" hands this is the closest I can get to seeing my favourite boats! No modelling for me until the New Year(Doctors strikes permitting.

I even have to drive my car with a suicide knob now!

It goes without saying your work is incredible as always.

• Like 1

Dan " long may it continue :) " thanks buddy but not to long please. More Coastal Forces boats waiting in the wings.......

Paul I'm glad your enjoying my substitute. I'm afraid you going to have to wait a bit for a full view. My partner went in the shed to get to the freezer and knocked the hull of the worktop :fight: The result being the deck lifted at the bow like the toe of an old boot. Repairs have been carried out by pouring resin (fibreglass hull) in through the main hatch but I got a bit enthusiastic and I had resin coming out the portholes :banghead: So its clean up time and then I shall be laying on the final colours.

Cheers Hendie, your own work http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235001898-148-lysander-mk-ii-1960s-hawk-version-one-step-closer-to-paint/ is inspirational. Hope you find the centre finder useful.

Thanks again for all your support

Kev

• Like 2

Just a few small updates which have taken a ridiculous amount of time, what with rejects and an ever growing carpet monster :banghead:

The item bottom left is some sort of control for engine revs

P1030810_zpsm0mwircs.jpg

P1030811_zps5t9kkkjm.jpg

P1030812_zps4pivdyue.jpg

Anyone know a source for 1/72 deck gratings for helmsman and pelorus platform???

Thanks for looking in

Kev

• Like 8

Thanks for the encouragement folks

Not being able to source gratings I thought I'd have a go at making them............

Setting up so all square. Material 0.28 x 0.84mm. Frame 1.68 x 0.56mm. This gives a wood width/hole of 60mm /  2 3/8"

P1030813_zpsyczsphst.jpg

Spacers in between to keep everything in line
P1030814_zpslozzfoyk.jpg

Jigged up to cut infills 0.84 x 0.84mm. Note a line was drawn the length of this material so that if there were any in accuracies it all crept the same way.

P1030815_zpshedgvtax.jpg

Infills then verticals, hopefully you can see the lines going left to right. Spacers kept in to keep all true.
P1030816_zps9m2vldmv.jpg

All that remains is trimming the frame

P1030817_zps5pvnmz2o.jpg

and now the posing shots
P1030818_zpsjdm6i0ia.jpg

P1030821_zpsbcyw0hnh.jpg

Happy Days

Thanks for stopping by

Kev

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 8