Italeri 1/48 RAAF Boston

Gday All,

for what will probably be my final build for the year (if I dont finish that Dragon Opel Blitz on the bench) and the second half of my Boston double build

I present my Italeri Boston finished as a strafer from 22 SQN RAAF

Did you really think I was just going to do a RAF one Tony O Toole? :winkgrin:

Kit is the standard Italeri/AMT A-20B/C kit with redroo tropical cowlings and decals. The cowlings fit like a glove, msot impressive, unfortunately the decals were impervious to any and all setting solutions used and refused to sit down into the panel lines. I wish I had of masked the roundels, however I thought the redroo decals were spot on for clolour to match faded RAAF decals, and their decal instructions are second to none.

This is one of thoswe builds that did not turn out as well as I thought it would, the boston is a nice kit but the landing gear and door attachment leave a lot to be desired and are literally the weakest parts of the kit. Macine gun barrels, (which need to be bent back up, I notice are from Vector for the 50's and Master Barrel for the .30's. If you have not used these two brands before, do so, they really add to the final look. Finished with Humbrol enamels and weathered using various shades of same. I tried the oil dot technique, the lesson I learnt here was do your panel line wash first!!

Still undecided on the value of this technique. For those wondering what I am talking about, it involves dabbing tiny dots of various colours of oil paint all over the model, then scrubbing them into the paintwork to subtly alter the tones of the paintwork

Anyway, on to the pics

Boston11of1_zpsa3969705.jpg

Boston21of1_zps7875a7c4.jpg

Boston31of1_zps379e6361.jpg

Boston41of1_zps56c5f6c9.jpg

• Like 22

Loving the paint on that. Very smooth indeed. What paint/colour did you use for the interior of the gun position in pic 3?

Dave, it was Gunze RAF interior green, not sure of the actual number as I am away from home

Thanks again to all who commented. It does spur you on

I wish I had thought of the scalpel idea Ed

Cheers

Bruce

Neat work Bruce

came out really well. the wash has worked in the photos.

Yeah - thanks for that mate! Now I'm going to have to grab the kit and get in touch with Red Roo - and just when 'm trying to reign myself in.

You've done a great job.

Blackbird Models in the UK now carries Red Roo products, as post from Oz can be prohibitive

http://www.blackbirdmodels.co.uk/red-roo-models-432-c.asp

Cowl and decals not listed but worth asking.

T

• Like 1