Wessex HC2 - A Dauphin's Stablemate: 520 days later.... IT'S FINISHED ! (why, yes it is indeed)

hendie

Ohyes

I can just see Throat trying to interest a certain scruffy Wizzard in investing in a project to use Ballonnastick

For something or other

I used Alclad Aluminium and Pale Burnt Metal for the pipes on my HC2, I think it would work well for yours too

The burnt metal is a kind of light browny metallic and I used it for the outer portion of the pipes, the Aluminium went to the inner portions

Might be worth giving it a try if you have any about you

Those Gnomes are fantastic - the wooden starter bullet on the near one is hopeless, though; way too long, wrong shape, wrong colour. I'm surprised at you.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 5

Those Gnomes are fantastic - the wooden starter bullet on the near one is hopeless, though; way too long, wrong shape, wrong colour. I'm surprised at you.

The starter bullet on this one is a bit pointier.... this any better ?

470-6664_PI_1000286MN.jpg

• Like 8

I'm going to be a stick in the mud

and demand more building on this thread!

More building there shall be.... just not today. It's Thanksgiving here today and I am trying to teach the locals that lots of little bread cubes soaked in a tasteless broth with a sprinkle of celery salt is not turkey stuffing! Bread cubes I ask you..... s'like they'd just stepped off the Mayflower and didn't realize they had a Walmart down the road

In my quest to instill some culture in this heritage free zone I shall be providing a veritable bucketload of the manna that is skirlie to shove up the turkey's backside.

I'm also not particularly fond of their penchant for adding peanut butter to everything - it has it's place - just not anywhere near my meal. Therefore, I am planning a surprise offensive with clootie dumpling and custard - of course I've had to resort to the clean, NATO & Greepeace approved version of the puddin' .... due to the litigious nature of this crazy nation, I didn't want to lose my house 'cuz someone didn't have enough Darwin in them to realize that a coin wrapped in tinfoil was not supposed to be edible !!!

This is so beautiful. I dig this a lot. awesome helo.

Oliver

Thanks Oliver - high praise indeed coming from someone with your reputation

This is basically a multimedia modelling masterclass almost without peer :)

ah..... an MMMAWP ! I am sincerely flattered but I think of it more as an OBWHIGHTICU-OOSNAD.... "oh bugger what have I got handy that I can use - out of sheer necessity and desperation!"

• Like 5

Alan, You know I've been busy with my project, so really sorry for finding this so late in the game, but I gotta say congratulations on such a great build. I have learned a lot about adding ridiculous amounts detail with this thread. I have an armor build coming up next, and I've saved this posting for future reference, just for all the small stuff.

GREAT JOB!!

• Like 1

Alan, You know I've been busy with my project, so really sorry for finding this so late in the game, but I gotta say congratulations on such a great build. I have learned a lot about adding ridiculous amounts detail with this thread. I have an armor build coming up next, and I've saved this posting for future reference, just for all the small stuff.

GREAT JOB!!

RichO - I'm honored that you think so much of this build.

After looking at the level (and quantity) of detail you are putting into the Crawler, I'm (happily) surprised that you found new techniques in this thread. I'll look out for your armor build - and feel free to point me to it when you get started

manna that is skirlie to shove up the turkey's backside.

Hmm, skirlie is nice, I really like it but I am in command of Scottish black pudding and haggis - they are really good - you are seriously missing out hendie.

..... oh for some black pudding and haggis - and butteries ! I miss having butteries at breakfast time, and fruit pudding, tattie scones, lorne sausage, sausage rolls, mince pies, steak pies, chip shops, special fish suppers, mushy peas, real peas, irn bru

:hanging:

• Like 1

..... oh for some black pudding and haggis - and butteries ! I miss having butteries at breakfast time, and fruit pudding, tattie scones, lorne sausage, sausage rolls, mince pies, steak pies, chip shops, special fish suppers, mushy peas, real peas, irn bru

:hanging:

and it was so...........

http://www.scottishgourmetusa.com/category/smoked-fish-and-game-birds

Trevor

• Like 1

I had a long day sitting around in hospital waiting rooms yesterday (6 hours there for 3 periods of actual consultation totalling 55 minutes...). The bookshop at Salisbury District Hospital (which was built as a USAAF hospital in 1944, apparently) is good, so I picked up a copy of Meng Air Modeller magazine, issue 63. It has some good stuff in it - notably an excellent diorama of an F8 crash. It also includes a build of an Italeri Wessex 5.

It is a perfectly good, skilful build, and does indeed look like a Junglie Wessex at the end of it. But all the way I found myself thinking "Hendie's is better than that...!"

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 3

I get that feeling too Crisp, even looking at the Flybaby I think "Hendie did that better than that"

It has to be the in depth knowledge that makes the difference

Scottish breakfast rolls

Why can't English bakers make the bloomin things?

Asda sell a facsimile that gets close, but might as well be cigars

Not the same

(Holiday memories of the six week school hols spent in Hamilton, dashing across to the wee shop over the road of a morning to get the freshest ones and my aunty Maggie streaming back with me the morning the guy thought he'd get rid of some stock to the skinny English kid who wouldnt know any better...funny thing, that never happened again) :)

Ah Lorne sausage and golden yolked fried eggs, breakfast rolls and now I'm as hungry as a Nigel thread used to get me

:(

Never been much of a haggisser though, acquired taste nae doot

• Like 2

perdu, on 27 Nov 2015 - 1:52 PM, said:

Never been much of a haggisser though, acquired taste nae doot

Haggis has to be eaten freshly killed; the ones you get in the shops have been hanging around for far too long. The proper, humane way to kill a Haggis is to let it drown in a bucket of single malt (you may need to refill the bucket a time or two, especially for the larger ones). The whisky imparts the proper flavor to the Haggis.

• Like 4

You could be right there Jessica

I remember a three day stalk over the hills behind Balmacara searching for the damned things

They kept being scared away out of range by those blimmin great stag thingies

never did get a line on one

(Still got the O/C's notes on hill stalking somewhere... Never allow yerself to be skylined or you will not even see the quarry. Turns out he was right. Fancy that)

damnit man! now you got me hungry too.....arghhhh

Well, Thanksgiving over, a few chores out of the way (lots more falling down the hill towards me though) and almost two pages without any real photomographic updatery.

No Longer! I have phoaties! I have an update - not massive but an update nonetheless.

I mentioned in one of my last posts that I went and lost one of the windscreen wipers - maybe that was a good thing 'cuz now I had to make a pair. Initial thoughts were to cut the blade of the remaining one and cast a duplicate in resin..... seemed a long way to go to create a lumpy thing. Then it was a case of ratching around to see if I had anything suitable as a base..... eventually I found these seat belts left over from the Dauphin - they looked like it may just be possible to transform them into wipers.... sort of...

PB270003.JPG

First operation was to provide something that would allow me to glue them in place.... that meant drilling through one of the buckles then supergluing some wire in there. You can see the clunky armor plated wiper from the kit lying there looking sorry for itself. If you look very closely, you will also see some thin lead sheet.... the wiper! (the tab on the sheet is to fold over so I can glue it to the wiper arm).

PB270004.JPG

Here's one completed wiper!

PB270005.JPG

Two wipers ready for paint! Don't ask how many times I bent them and had to straighten the darn things out again. One of my early thougths was to try and solder something together, but this was so fragile solder would never have worked.

PB270007.JPG

The came a heart stopping moment or two as I drilled through the windscreen - by the time I was finished I had the shakes.

PB270006.JPG

....but finally, the two wipers were manufactured, painted and fitted. I just have to remember not to touch anywhere near the front or those things will bend/break or maybe even explode! I considered adding the wiper stops but by this time I was shaking far too much to consider it... maybe tomorrow

PB270008.JPG

The last of the access panels was fitted and given a bit of weathering (after this photo)

PB270009.JPG

The port side sliding window was fixed in place with white glue. - I cleaned up as much as I could, polished the windows etc, but there were a few specks of dust I just couldn't budge, but overall not too bad. Since the cabin door will be open, I just know that sometime in the far (or near) future, some dust is going to find it's way in there and deposit itself on the windscreen anyway. The emergency release handle was then attached.

PB270011.JPG

The kit pitot seemed very flimsy, so, brass tube came to the rescue....

PB190001.JPG

and that was dry fitted to check length etc... it's now off to the paint shop

PB270013.JPG

On checking reference photo's, I remembered I had forgotten to finish off the engine bay - these two fittings are the very last parts to go in there. It's some kind of ducting that connects to the nose door

PB270015.JPG

The last part of this evenings update is the intake grill. - I added a thin strip of lead around the perimeter of the intake grill to give it some depth and hide the ends of any wires showing. (It also looks much more like the 1:1 this way I think)

PB220001.JPG

The grill was then primed and painted... the lead sheet is very soft so even gentle handling resulted in the edge bending and twisting - which was great - have you ever looked at the real thing ? They're always bashed up, dented and scratched.

PB270016.JPG

... and a front view - looking at this I realized that I can still add the diamond shaped plates on the front

PB270017.JPG

... and that's where we are at tonight folks.

What have I got left ? Well, I am really glad I got the wipers out of the way, that's for sure.... that leaves the cabin door, the pitot, the two pipe thingies shown above, main and tail rotor and there's bound to be something else I have overlooked - but there's even a small (very small) chance that I will get the build finished this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*edit* oh... and those darn exhausts!

Edited by hendie
  • Like 13

When I looks at the guard grille I just KNOW you are glad you did that

It looks brilliant as is

There really ought to be a model of the year award round yere

This would be my nomination

nice wipers dude, too a great save

• Like 2

So close.....check out Foster's (used to be the English Pork Pie company....sausage rolls, pasties, meat pies...etc, etc.... They're in Buffalo....There are also a couple of places in MA....I know at least one sells Irn Bru.....love that stuff!

Ian

• Like 1