Wessex HC2 - A Dauphin's Stablemate: 520 days later.... IT'S FINISHED ! (why, yes it is indeed)

hendie

Great stuff (and the prospect of seeing it all over again in 1/32...!)

More nice work and I look forward to seeing you build the Fly kit!

Martin

Whooaaaa there guys! I said a bought one - I mentioned nuffink about opening the box or actually building one!... well, I might open the box to do an inventory check, but I have a feeling it may lay in, and be the foundation of, the stash for some time to come. Now, I like masochism as much as the next guy (<- don't read too much into that) but I think the abomination that is the italeri Wessex has put me off trying another one for a little time to come yet.

• Like 4

After seeing what you've achieved with the Italeri offering can't wait to see what you do with a 1/32 Wessex!

Go on you know you want to

Great work as always

Roger

• Like 1

Whooaaaa there guys! I said a bought one - I mentioned nuffink about opening the box or actually building one!... well, I might open the box to do an inventory check, but I have a feeling it may lay in, and be the foundation of, the stash for some time to come. Now, I like masochism as much as the next guy (<- don't read too much into that) but I think the abomination that is the italeri Wessex has put me off trying another one for a little time to come yet.

All true. But you know you'll build it eventually.

I have 4 Lynxes in my stash (3 x 1/48, destined to be my two Broadsword Flight Mk3s - XZ722 & ZD260 - and a Mk2 with its nose blown off on Broadsword's deck in 1982, plus 1 x 1/32 Mk3), and I expect I will buy more - I quite fancy an 847NAS Royal Marines skid job, for instance. They won't get built simultaneously, or even close together... but they will be built!

• Like 1

All true. But you know you'll build it eventually.

I have 4 Lynxes in my stash (3 x 1/48, destined to be my two Broadsword Flight Mk3s - XZ722 & ZD260 - and a Mk2 with its nose blown off on Broadsword's deck in 1982, plus 1 x 1/32 Mk3), and I expect I will buy more - I quite fancy an 847NAS Royal Marines skid job, for instance. They won't get built simultaneously, or even close together... but they will be built!

Crisp, I think you may have just missed an oportunity for cheap Lyns kits to swell your stash. Tesco on-line had them for a tenner...

Colin

• Like 1

Great admiration for your tenacity in getting this done as accurately as possible.

Fantastic job and many modelling tips to help those of us at a level below yours.

Enjoying this very much, more so because I've flown in the Wessex on a few occasions whilst attached to 18 RAF Sqn Guttersloh.

• Like 2

Methinks you need to have a go at the 1/32 Fly kit, it seems to be imminent.

Martin

I placed the order a few weeks ago so it should be here anytime soon... but after this is complete, I must spend some time on that train thingy

Wow, is about all I can say after reading this thread for about a month of evenings now. I only now, feel I can say something about this build because I wanted to get caught up. I started reading your rail car build and after you referenced this build I came over and got hooked by your attention to detail and scratch building skills to even the smallest parts on the Wessie. I'm mainly a car builder but, scratch building is universal in its inventiveness and use of varying materials to improve on or add missing detail on a kit. This has been a great read and I can't wait to see the finished product; now that I've had an education on all things Wessex helicopters. Outstanding work!

• Like 1

Well, I made it back from the windswept shores of Lake Erie and what's more.. I passed my exam!!! Now I'm back I have another 10 weeks of weekly assessments then straight into exam number 2! Oh goody... NOT!

Life kinda got in my way upon my return but I have finally managed to snag a few moments dans la basement. I am desperately trying to get to the point where I can get the last coat of semi-gloss on but I keep finding things that need done first. As I left my last post I had managed to make one o' them thar sticky-outy sharp thingies. That is now fixed in place, painted, and pointing backwards as per my reference photo's.

PA050001.JPG

As a slight diversion I decided to tackle the winch hook. Italeri have molded it as a sold disc, and just for a change, *cough* I didn't like it. After some mulling over the issue I decided the best option was to carve out the existing disc to make three spars - that allowed me to make a small brass ring that was the ca'd in place around aforementioned spars.

PA050003.JPG

Then when it's all painted up and glued into the winch I think it looks a bit over-scale but I'm drawing a line at this one. Since the trans deck door will be down, very little of it will be seen, so in this instance I think it will suffice.

PA220016.JPG

Moving along, it was time for more aerials, this time the towel rail hanging off the port side. I don't believe there's anything supplied in the kit for this one (though I may have cut it up for something else) so I had to roll my own (again). As you can see here, I had loads of fun making aerials then deciding it wasn't good enough - I'm going with the one at the bottom.

PA210010.JPG

The top one was made from some solid brass and some wire - took me ages to file down the pins - then I decided it was way too big. That led me onto version number two - this time I used some small diameter brass tube squeezed in the vise - and then I couldn't figure out how to attach it securely... which brought me to version number three - this time I didn't squeeze the brass tube quite so hard, which left a small gap between the walls (see below). I then clamped some brass wire in the vise to flatten the end down - then the flattened end of the wire slid nicely into the almost flat tube, and a touch of solder was flung on to keep everything in place.

PA210009.JPG

Then followed a quick run over with the file to clean things up and I added some styrene at the bottom end to create the bracket mounting.

PA220011.JPG

In the photo above you can see that I made two plates to mount the aerial on - I spent ages looking at photo's before I spotted the "plates" then took ages to make them, get them in the right place and drill the mounting holes..... wait for it....

PA220012.JPG

Then I realized that the "plates" were not in fact plates at all, merely a small lip above and below the aerial - thankfully this was spotted before I slapped any glue on the beast.

Today I must have spent at least an hour and a half trying to finish the aerial off - the 1:1 is chrome with aluminum (I think) mounting brackets. I tried using BMF but when I finally got the darn stuff on (took forever!) I thought it looked to chintzy. The I tried painting it, then I painted it again, then I stripped the paint off and then I painted it again... which is where I am at now. The brackets will get a smattering of some kind of aluminum paint and that should be it ready to fit.

And didn't I mention somewhere that the rotor head was now finished ???? Yeah, I was wrong again... I forgot that I still had to make the droop stops. I had made one a as test a while back, just to see if I could do it - now i had to make the remaining three, well four actually - when I test fitted the old oner I discovered it was too long so I had the make the new ones a good deal shorter.. this is about the limits of my skill shown here.

PA220014.JPG

Yup, there's brass rod top and bottom, with three uprights - and yes I was stupid enough to fit a "spring" around the center post. All four are now painted and should be fitted to the rotor head tomorrow.

... and I still haven't got the darn thing sprayed with the semi-gloss yet!

• Like 12

stupid....possibly, skillful...definitely! More exquisite work chez Hendie, I just hope to god I don't get tempted to follow your example in 1:72....

Ian

thanks guys - I am sure everyone is getting tired of these small, almost insignificant at times updates - but I think all these bits need doing to capture the essence of the Wessi.

I've been desperate to provide one of those earth shattering "wow... look at it now" updates with some real progress, and I think I am almost there (but don't want to count my chickens and all that.) ..... soon......

Wow, just gets better!

And very well done on passing your exam Hendie!

Cheers

Viv

Thanks Viv ! I am now 1/4 of my way to a certification program in injection molding (a bit strange 'cos I'll never operate one, but I need to be able to talk [with authority!] to those who do) and now have the Materials/Chemistry part under my belt. Next up is mold design and engineering, followed by Processing and finally Part Design.... this time next year I should be done! It's all a bit nerve-wracking as I am a Mechanical Design Engineer and up til recently new nothing about amorphous vs semi-crystalline, or electronegativity. I didn't even know plastics had electronegativity - I just knew that this kit was utter pooh!

I'm really starting to understand why Italeri have bodged this from start to finish and why there seems to be so many issues with some new kits, (whose manufacturers shall remain nameless. )

• Like 2

Well I think Nigel missed the bit where you

broke his copyright on soldering skills. Phew!

Didn't the towel rail have black ends?

Small & insignificant? Don't care.

Keep them coming.

BTW - BRItmodeller = VICE, better than vise.

You'll just confuse the young' uns

• Like 2

Pshaw

and ptoooie

Anybody can do the impossible in 1/48 scale (if their name is Hendie)

I want to see him do it to a Wessex in the gentleman's scale

:)

Nah seriously I dont, no one deserves to get tinymania like that

I have a picture somewhere hendie, of the elusive towel rail on XR525, will it be any use to you for finishing purposes?

• Like 1

Well I thought I had some of 525 with the towel rail

But have to report a fail this time :(

No sign so far

Lots of others on the net showing slightly aluminium painted stays and a silver OR white rail

Possible little black end caps too ;)