Chrome Paint recomendations please

Stuck

Can any of you recommend a good chrome paint for a car i am building. I seem to have a problem getting hold of Alclad at the moment , so have just been checking out Mr color super metallic, but it does seem quite pricey, is it worth it ?. Also will I need black primer ?.

Thanks for any advice,

Humbrol Chrome Silver in a can is pretty good and easily available... You need a well-prepared surface (as with all chrome) and leave it to dry for 24 hours before handling it, to be on the safe side...

bestest,

M.

Well with work like yours that has inspired me to have a go at cars that i know absolutely nothing about , then i better take your word for it and give it a try .

Certainly a bit cheaper !!.

Yes, I've read that Mr Hobby Mr Color Super Metallic SM08 "Plate Silver Next" (whew!) can give a pretty good likeness to chrome - and doesn't necessarily need a gloss black undercoat like Alclad. I'm waiting for some to arrive from a fleaBay seller in Hong Kong at the moment - I'll let you know what it looks like when I get it. It is pricey (I paid £9 for a bottle) but I guess it just depends how much you want to pay for a convincing chrome effect...

Edited by Tarnish One

The polishing powder is interesting but I didn't see any reflections in it - it looked a bit like graphite powder?

I wonder if it works (and would look better) over a really glossy black? Alclad Chrome can some up like a mirror over a suitably polished base.

Will

Well thanks for all the advice, i have just got back from a rare visit to the nearest model shop, apart from a good range of Tamiya paints he hasnt got much else but he did have one solitary bottle of alclad on the shelf which just so happened to be chrome, I have just tried it out over some gloss black rattle can I found in the local supermarket for 3 and a half euro. I am totaly gobsmacked with!!. I have also tried the humbrol which is also very good, and does have the advantage over alclad that it can be applied with a brush.

Liveing in France, what with postal charges and restrictions its best for me to buy here, with a recomendation from a BM member I now get most of my supplies from these

http://www.oupsmodel.com/mr-hobby-pots-de-peintures/7750-peinture-maquette-mr-color-super-metallic-sm01-super-chrome.html

With the strength of the pound against the euro at the moment it might be worth a few of you over the pond to consider them, their delivery service is second to none, and also offer a fidelity points system, and reductions on future orders. But if your out there Mr Oups please can you replenish your stocks of Alclad pleeeease !!,.

I also found this useful comparison vid on utube

Will post a pic of my results later.