Star Wars new model kits from Bandai

Despy

• 2 weeks later...

Y-Wing is available at both HLJ and Hobby Search, though HLJ have stopped taking Pre-Orders, Hobby Search are still taking Pre-Orders.

Down as July release but no pictures on either site!

Cheers,

Warren

As nice as these are, they've been done to death. Instead of redoing all the same old ships it would be cool if they (Bandai) would do something different like a super star destroyer or some other capital ship that's not a normal SD. Even an MC80 which is only available as an expensive and rare resin kit would be a welcome addition than yet another snow speeder or X-wing. It's not like Bandai can't produce such massive kits.

Don't get me wrong, I love Star Wars just as much as the next person but I am bored with the usual line up of ships that get rolled out.

Still, as has been pointed out many times before, new movies = new ships = new kits. So here's hoping for something new soon.

• Like 1

I guess they have to produce what will sell. X-Wings and TIEs have been done before but they are the ones most people will buy. There's plenty of more obscure ships that I'd like to see done but I won't hold my breath.

I see the Y-Wing's had a price jump compared to the earlier stuff but I suppose it brings it in line with the price for the Finemolds one so I shouldn't complain. I want both but I'll hold off until there's more info on the Y

Andy

I have an R2D2 phone which looks so much better than the kit shown above, and it makes the noises and head turns when someone is calling (or you can change the chirrups to a standard phone ring but what's the point in that ?).

It's 30 cm tall too.

The posts been… R2's got a buddy!

Looks great in the flesh and is mostly undercut with the sprue joins so I should be able to keep that fantastic gold! :yahoo:

IMG_1477_zpsm8aau1vm.jpg

The posts been… R2's got a buddy!

Looks great in the flesh and is mostly undercut with the sprue joins so I should be able to keep that fantastic gold! :yahoo:

IMG_1477_zpsm8aau1vm.jpg

Woo-Hoo,Master Luke! Looks good!

• Like 2

Can we see inside the box please? :)

I'm at work at the moment but I will take a pictures tonight.

I've only opened one bag to look a 1 sprue but the moulding seems exceptionally crisp… oh and the gold is great so for once I'll not be stripping that off. From what I can see the parts connect to the sprue from behind not the side so they should remove cleanly. Most of the joins are along panel lines so will be hidden, the original suit is like armour after all. The only part that'll be visible I think from a quick look will be the hips and possibly the side of his chest.

Box contents can be seen here on Hobby Search Site but some nice close up shots would be very nice.

I'm reliably informed that you can fit 3mm LEDs into the eyes!

Guess what I'll be trying when mine arrives!

• Like 1

The Threepio looks lovely - much better than the cartoonish mock-up I saw on one site a while back. Now... can we petition them (whilst pretending to be in their catchment area) for a 1:48 Y-Wing, which has been my fervent wish for years now :crying: An A-Wing & B-Wing wouldn't be bad either :pray:

Is there anything to recommend the Bandai X-Wing and Snow Speeder over the previous Fine Molds ones? I have both, and am loathe to spend any of the precious kit tokens for minimal or no gain :hmmm:

A B-wing in any scale is something I've longed for. There's been no further mention of the other things Bandai have hinted at like the AT-AT and Star Destroyer and with the inevitability of kits from the new film, I don't think we'll see any more original trilogy releases for a while. Hope I'm proved wrong though.

I did give in to temptation this morning and pre-ordered the Y-Wing :thumbsup:

Andy

ScootyPuffJunior posted these earlier in the thread.

Here are some side-by-sides I took of a painted Fine Molds kit next to an unpainted Bandai kit:

xwing%2B001.jpg

xwing%2B002.jpg

xwing%2B003.jpg

xwing%2B004.jpg

There are subtle differences and obviously the FM one can be lit much easier!!

I have a FM Snowspeeder but sold it on and again would say from the pictures available that they are of similar quality.

Cheers,

Warren

• Like 1

The major differences from a quick squint seem to be the size and placement of the cockpit, and the relationship between the nose cone and the corresponding width/height of the front of the fuselage. :hmmm: I'll hang onto my Finemolds X-Wing, and wait to see what's said about the Speeder :)

Luke's speeder would be nice too. I know we've got the Revell snap-together kit, but it would be good to have things in scale, as it were :nerd:

The Finemolds X wing may not be accurate though… there are differences in a lot of the x wing models built for the film.

Bandai offer you 2 different noses. Red 5 has a longer nose than the other x wings.

Bandai also offer one cropped back jet nozzle as well as 4 the same. Again Luke's X wing has one shorter than the rest.

The panel at the back where they were attached to poles for filming on the Bandai is separate and can be placed either way up. Again Luke's is different and has the lip at the bottom not the top.

Bandai's cockpit is also superior… but that's just my opinion.

All with a cool base.

Not easy to light but for around £10 plus postage I'm more than happy with mine.

A quick look in the box. I apologise for the quality of the photo's I've had to use my iPhone and it's struggling to focus so tightly on such shiny parts… seems you can get a bigger image by clicking on them and then using the enlarge icon in the window that opens.

IMG_1477_zpsm8aau1vm.jpg

Instructions front and back.

C3PO_Instructions_cover_zpsqzme2skz.jpg C3PO_Instructions_back_zpselsahjq3.jpg

Sprues.

C3PO_B1_zpsn1sak0gl.jpg C3PO_B2_zpswgimsxnq.jpg

C3PO_B3_zps8um3p3b0.jpg

C3PO_Base_zpscow5hk0u.jpg

And a shot to try and show what I mean about the undergating. Although difficult to photograph I think you can see what I mean here with the attachment points to the sprue being at the back, inside if you like rather than the traditional side attachment points.

IMG_1489_zpswylcrm0x.jpg

A close up of the crispness of the details… this is much bigger than the actual part.

C3PO_detail_zpszictwvnd.jpg

• Like 1

Wow! Gold plating is very impressive!

But I'm waiting for the Destroyer.... after I've finally finished with my MPC kit I want to build it more, than any other kit....