Star Wars new model kits from Bandai

Despy

I have total faith in Bandai, which ever version they make im sure it will be amazing!

https://youtu.be/L_udTzI_49A?t=1m37s

Imagine that tiny Bandai Star Destroyer model scaled up to 1/1700 - 94cm long, the detail would be mindblowing :wub: What Star Wars collection would be complete without one? Im sure even George Lucas would want a 1/1700 Bandai Star Destroyer.

Wouldn't it be ironic if Revell's lawyers banned George Lucas from having a bandai Star Destroyer on the grounds of Disney's trade and copyright legislation :-)

All I can say to that is "Welcome to our world George" rofl

• Like 2

I could see a 1/1700 scale Bandai Star Destroyer being used in the Star Wars Identities Exibition. With the new films being so much CGI they could paint one white and use it as one of the ships from the upcoming Rogue One film. They will need a new Finalizer Star Destroyer too.

Im sure George Lucas will get to approve one and then keep it haha! He will be like "This isnt the Star Destroyer youre looking for.. Its mine.. ALL MINE.. MuWahahahaa!"

Funny story, we sold 2 Bandai Resistance X-Wings to the chap who designed them for the film. You'd have thunk that the least Bandai could have done was let him have a couple for free!

• Like 3

It wouldn't surprise me if ILM/Lucas shot the star destroyer separately, close up, making it look like the sides looking more interesting with a strong perspective effect, and thus not ending up with a "flat" perspective that you would get if you take a photo of something from afar.

I am somewhat annoyed that I see a photo of a star destroyer model where the sides are not parallel. I can only hope that the original design has parallel sides. :|

Funny story, we sold 2 Bandai Resistance X-Wings to the chap who designed them for the film. You'd have thunk that the least Bandai could have done was let him have a couple for free!

I think Star Wars should let him have one of the full sized props when they are done filming them or at least the "cardboard cut out" one. Its such a cool new design, really well balanced and well proportioned, light and agile looking. It makes the T-65 look more like a fighter bomber, which i guess is what it was haha! The new T-70 looks more fighter than bomber.

How wude!!

I'sa have one!!

Me'sa tink dat be groovy!

I think hed look good splatted onto the front of the droids speeder like gravy haha!

It wouldn't surprise me if ILM/Lucas shot the star destroyer separately, close up, making it look like the sides looking more interesting with a strong perspective effect, and thus not ending up with a "flat" perspective that you would get if you take a photo of something from afar.

I am somewhat annoyed that I see a photo of a star destroyer model where the sides are not parallel. I can only hope that the original design has parallel sides. :|

This was the early concept model, the front end of the side trench was always designed to be "open", i like it, gives it a kind of cruising slightly open mouthed shark look on the front of a giant spearhead.

EarlyStarDestroyerdesign.jpg?format=1000

The Rogue One Star Destroyers trench is open at the front, then just past the cutout tall part the trench is pinched to its narrowest point. The hull plating might be thicker there too, then the trench looks like it flares out slightly towards the back?

Star-Wars-Rogue-One.jpg

I like them all, not all Battleships/Aircraft carriers look the same, they are constantly evolving, we now have the Finalizer. I do really like Bandai's mini 11cm Star Destroyer design, i put it on my TV Screen and enlarged it to 94cm and it looks *FANTASTIC*! At 60cm long though it looked WAY too small and lacked the visual impact a Star Destoyer needs. I think a 94cm 1/1700 model would look best, its big enough to have a serious WOW Factor and see all the detail, but not being too wide it is still easily displayed in a home as a centerpiece to a Star Wars collection. With a metal tube running the length inside for support and mounted on a metal stand, with the option of mounting on a standard size height adjustable stand, Bandai would have built the best Star Wars Model ever!

Edited by BobSolo

I've just been looking at my wickle SD, and it also has parallel sides, although at that scale the difference would be minimal. Lovely little kit that builds up quite quickly, and if you run some liquid glue into the superstructure gaps, can be made without those obtrusive lines. A little scraping and sanding, and away they go :)

• Like 1

This was the picture i used to scale it up on my TV, Andy's lovely build, it does look parallel, with a slight opening at the front. Forward from the cut out the lower front hull side slopes down. At the front the trench also appears to be slightly more recessed from the hull side or the hull side sticks out more at the tip, which adds to the open front look. A really good looking Star Destroyer.

26996642885_538ea5ff62_b.jpg

I should point out that the trench on the Bandai SD is (or should be) completely parallel. The slightly wider gap at the front is down to me not fully clipping the hull halves together, which I didn't notice until I'd finished it :doh: . The detailing on the tip of the nose probably needed trimming slightly to allow the hull halves to sit tighter together

Most models are filmed separately, them composited together at the end. It's very hard to make something look huge on screen without employing a bit of forced perspective.

It's worth remembering that filming models are often very different to how they subsequently appear on screen, both in shape and colour, to allow for aspects of the filming process.

On a personal level, I'd rather see kits based on how we saw the ships on screen, rather than be slavish copies of the original studio models. Otherwise all you end up with is a model of a model, which to me is a bit of a dead end

Andy

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Andy, i think yours looks better for a slight gap at the front, the one on Bandai's site http://bandai-hobby.net/sw/jp/products/vm.htmlhas a very slight gap too:

BANDAI-Vehicle-Model-Series-001-Star-Des

It will be interesting to see what Bandai make at 1/1700, imo this lil ones gap looks the right height running the full length of the hull, some model trenches look too tall. If Bandai can make it like this one but bigger, with or without a bigger front gap id be happy!

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see what Bandai make at 1/1700, imo this lil ones gap looks the right height running the full length of the hull, some model trenches look too tall. If Bandai can make it like this one but bigger, with or without a bigger front gap id be happy!

Yes, I agree. I'd rather see it done with a narrower trench gap than a wider one. It makes the ship look much sleeker

Andy

• Like 1

The modelling news has this first look of the A-Wing

http://www.themodellingnews.com/2016/05/bandais-star-wars-kits-continue-with.html?m=1

Edited by andygif290368

Short answer is, it depends on the shooting miniature.

Definitely tapered:

http://www.anenglishmaninsandiego.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/image-Star-Wars-behind-the-scenes-Grant-McCune-empiremagazine.jpg

Pretty much parallel:

http://d2rormqr1qwzpz.cloudfront.net/photos/2013/06/14/48965-lucas_destroyer.jpg

I wouldn't be shocked if they built one with tapered sides to add a forced perspective sense of depth. Makes it seem like the ship is much longer, because it converges towards the horizon, which in turn adds a sense of mass and depth to the shots.

The simple answer for the different Star Destroyers is that the smaller one was the original model built for ANH. Then, a much larger (8ft iirc), more detailed version was built for TESB.

This also explains the difference in colour (the original is lighter than the big model). I like that Gareth Edwards team have recognised that and gone for the original look for the SD's seen in the Rogue One trailer. B)

I think bandai updated their website nice and early. On ebay sellers say that although they are taking pre-orders, it wont be released unitl 28th May 2016 and they will ship when they get stock.

Looking at the original Star Destroyer prototype BANDAI showed at the hobby show there is a gap on the very front of the superstructure

Bandai%20prototype%20stardestroyer_zpslz

https://youtu.be/2pJFMFpfJCI?t=1m19s

It can also been seen on the protoype in the latest video, with a bit of darker blue light coming from it too

https://youtu.be/2EKAbXDe1BM?t=4m10s

So imo this isnt the production version yet, it wouldnt have that gap for sure. Hopefully we will see BANDAI build a scaled up 94cm version of the little one.

Edited by BobSolo

I have a suspicion, which is not based on anything concrete, that Bandai may be delaying the release of larger and more expensive models until they are able to sell their kits overseas again. The development process for something the size of a scaled up ISD would just be too expensive for them to make their money back in Japan alone, where smaller kits are more popular due to limited size and space.

Bandai is not directly famous for their large size Star Wars kist so far. Apart form a 1:48 scale X-Wing they are all rather small. Now that the ISD and the AT-AT in Rogue One are not really AT-ATs or ISDs as we know them from ANH, ESP or ROTJ I wonder if our chances to see such in a larger scale from Bandai have really risen by the announcement of Rouge One. I still hope though...

Speaking of small & hope I do hope to be able to pick up an A-Wing on my trip to China next month...

A 16" or so ISD is in the same realm as their 1/1000 Yamato 2199 kits, just wider.

I am pretty certain Bandai knows their kits are selling well outside Japan even with the restrictions. Overall sales numbers are what is important, not if they were purchased by proxy or through eBay. We have no idea how long it takes for a kit to be prototyped for production, but they are determined to make things as accurate as possible before doing so.

Seems to me like the majority of development work has been done, maybe just not up to the tooling stage. We could be looking at 3D printed parts perhaps? I dunno... it's all speculation. Do we know if there's a time-limitation to Revell's (wasted) Ep.7 model license? That might give us more of a clue :)

• Like 1