Star Wars new model kits from Bandai

Despy

I don't know how they are compared to Fine Mold ones but they are now available at hlj.com.

I especially liked those proton torpidoes... It calls for a diorama for sure

Looking at the photos they appear to be of Bandai's usual good quality, the construction looks a bit chunky, almost snap-fit but looking forward to receiving mine soon!

Hobby Search have details of sprues and instructions.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10295172

Cheers,

Warren

Edit: Looking through the X-Wing & TIE kits they are nicely detailed, the X-Wing only has one set of markings for Red 5 in a clean state, worryingly though they look like they may be stickers rather than decals, though the TIE appears to have both stickers and decals.

Like the green laser fire on the TIE and the pre constructed wings

Lighting them up could be fun!!

• Like 2

Like the look of the X-Wing. The nose (in particular) on the Finemolds kits always looked a bit off, to me. This new Bandai one looks much better. Plus it seems as if they supply 2 optional nose cones, depending on which X-Wing you want to do. Kewl. B)

Nice but looks a bit milliput-ish rather than something from a machined mold. The instruction sheet has waterslide decal instructions using the wing markings as an example.

Need to get myself a squadron of these. I didn't see any mention of Y-wings though, has anyone seen anything of those?

I'm not convinced by the very deep panel lines on the X-Wing, but the TIE looks nice. As does the Stormtrooper figure - for once having it poseable isn't a problem because the real armour is largely made from rigid pieces.

Will

• 2 weeks later...

Mike,

Bandai kits tend to look snap-fix but are usually not. As for which is best once I get hold of both kits (currently in transit!) I will let you know.

From the photos the Bandai kits look a bit more chuncky with FM having a finer finish to the details.

Cheers,

Warren

The Bandai kits are snap together jobs, but there's nothing to stop you using glue, of course.

Given the choice, I think I'd lean towards the Bandai over the FM kit. They seem to have captured the look and shape really well.

Like I mentioned, the nose of the FM kit has always bothered me. The wing opening is something else. The Bandai kit has the big wide open X-wing look,that I like, where as the open wing angle on the FM always looked a bit shallow. However, I am a SW nut, so I really notice little things like this. If you aren't that bothered and just want a nice X-Wing model to build, the FM is a very nice kit.

If I get a chance at the weekend, I'll post up some comparison shots of the 2 kits, if you like.

A Flickr contact of mine has posted some really good sprue shots, including a comparison of the Bandai and Fine Molds TIE Advanced:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/neinnunb

From what I can see, the detail is generally finer on the Bandai kits, and while the panel lines are quite wide they're about the same as FM. Honestly I don't think there's much in it.

The one thing to watch with the snap kits is that if you're gluing them, the snap pin friction can make it hard to seat parts fully home sometimes. It helps to cut the pin ends off on the diagonal, which will make them less stiff and also allow you to test fit and then take the pieces apart again. You don't want to cut the pins fully off since they're also the alignment mechanism.

Like Warren says, the Bandai snap-ness doesn't stop them being good models, and it also means they have to be engineered to fit really well :)

Will

• Like 1

Don't let the snap together aspect of the Bandai model fool you, these aren't anything like the shoddy Revell kits you find in arts & crafts stores.

Overall, it's a very nice kit with a couple of cool features and a few "interesting" design choices. The thing I really like is the droid socket behind the cockpit. Unlike the Fine Molds version, a fully assembled astromech droid slides into the socket, instead of just the dome. You remove the butt plate and slide the power generator trench back and out comes the droid. It also comes with two droid bodies so you can build both an R2 and R5 series droid. The detail is really crisp and quite impressive. Also, the S-foils lock together better than the Fine Molds version making it easier to display the craft in a landed position.

The thing I dislike the most is the addition of the red panels on the fuselage; it's pointless and adds unneeded complexity. The fuselage goes together sort of like a Lego kit with various small pieces plugged into various openings, some of which leave slight gaps. The finished product looks fine, but I prefer Fine Molds method of keeping the fuselage in two main pieces to eliminate most seam lines and gaps. Outside of the gaps in the fuselage, the only other areas I've had issues with is the laser cannons staying on the wingtips, but this will be solved by gluing the kit (which I intend to do).

As to which I prefer... it's a toss up to me. The Fine Molds kit is what I am most familar with (I have 5 or 6 of them, both in 1/72 and 1/48) but they aren't without their faults. That being said, neither is the Bandai kit (as previously mentioned). There are lots of areas that have different proportions and different detail and the Bandai version is certainly more "busy," especially along the fuselage. I am a huge Star Wars fan, but regarding which model is a more accurate resemblence to the "real" X-wing, I don't really care. Despite their differences, they both look like X-wings to me, which is all I'm really interested in.

Here are some side-by-sides I took of a painted Fine Molds kit next to an unpainted Bandai kit:

xwing%2B001.jpg

xwing%2B002.jpg

xwing%2B003.jpg

xwing%2B004.jpg

Edited by ScootyPuffJunior
  • Like 5

That Bandai X-Wing does look nice.

My 1/12 Darth Vader kit arrive from Japan today and I have to admit I'm very impressed.

Cheers,

Warren

I too have the Darth Vader kit and I've built it already as well... it's a very nice kit. The joints are pretty well hidden and the seam lines are not very noticeable, making the kit look prefectly fine being built OOB with the use of the supplied stickers or decals. I plan on filling seams and painting my kit so I didn't use anything on it, but it still looks cool in my display case as is.

• 3 weeks later...

The Stormtrooper figure was waiting for me when I got home from work last night so all other plans went out of the window!

Great looking box.

IMG_0167_zpse046e5fa.jpg

And after a little over 60 minutes of snipping, cleaning up and push fitting I ended up with this.

IMG_0168_zpse2b8bc59.jpg

IMG_0169_zps533abc54.jpg

I have to admit that initially I was a bit sceptical about the figures, wasn't sure how good they would look or how articulate the would be but I have to admit I am very pleased with the finished article.

In my rush to build I forgot to take any pictures of the sprues, there are 4 in total, the white has a very nice shiny gloss finish, the black is semi-gloss and also incorporates clear dark green for the helmet lenses, and soft white for the ammo pouches. There is a sprue of black vinyl parts and a second black plastic sprue for the base, which includes a clip to connect it to the Darth Vader figure base. Finally there are 2 sets of decals, one water slide and one stickers, these are mainly for the helmet.

The kit also comes with choice of 3 blasters and 3 sets of hands, all in all a great kit.

Cheers,

Warren

• Like 4

I'm not hugely into Star Wars, but I did build a few of the kits from many, many years ago.

The Speederbike kit from Airfix was astounding.

I remember cutting the legs off the figure, making new ones with Plasticine, and wrapping them with real fabric.

I also made a fabric 'roll' to go on the back of the bike.

I made the diorama from Plasticine, card tubes, bits of twig, moss, all sorts of outdoor stuff.

Sadly, the model is no more.... It was pinched from a cupboard in my classroom when I was a teacher.

Awful pictures, but it was back in the days of 35mm film and a mediocre camera.

Roy.

starwars2.jpg

starwars3.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 7

The new Stormtrooper looks OK… I've wanted a decent trooper for years.

With a little paint to fill in the details in his helmet he should look good on my bookshelf.

To me though the proportions don't look right although that may be the pose or photography? He seems to have a short neck, long chest, huge belt and short legs?

Perhaps he's a "little short for a Stormtrooper" :rolleyes:

Edited by SMD70

Must admit the proportions do look strange, the belt is too thick but needs to be to be snap fix.

There are decals and stickers for the helmet detail just ran out of time last night to add them.

Cheers,

Warren

• Like 1