Hi there,

having put some material on Nigel's thread on the GMC 353 refueller I determined that it would be correct practice to start a thread on my own, and different, Deuce and a half refueller conversion. I was looking about for a vehicle to support my Cuban Sea Fury and found the CMK conversion. Being a bit dim on that occasion I thought I had ordered the complete thing, when the surprisingly small package arrived I realised my error and started looking for a '353 kit. I finally decided to go for the Academy model because: it was the one the CMK product was designed for and it appeared to be the only kit available - fairly sound arguments I think you will agree?

It seemed to me that as the Cuban Batista Government had ex USAF A26s and P47s it would be not unreasonable that ex USAF refuellers would be purchased as well, so the above fitted the bill. My planned diorama is from the latter Castro period so by then the refueller would be some 15 years old (at least) and showing its age - a weathering challenge I must rise to. However, back to the model; unlike Nigel there was no mix and match as the Academy kit seems to be quite nicely made (I'll let you be the judges though). It certainly appeared a better model than my previous effort the Diamond T 980 tank transporter. So I got stuck into my second vehicle kit.

I fear that my build progress is far ahead of all the initial deliberations you might expect as I only considered creating a thread as a consequence of finding Nigel's thread by happenstance (oh, and a bit of Google). So this is what I am aiming for:

6147678931_36f576295d.jpg

The kit and CMK

DSCF5186.jpg

Some views of the model so far:

Bowser01.jpg

Bowser02.jpg

Bowser03.jpg

Bowser04.jpg

DSCF5184.jpg

The sharp eyed amongst you will notice that the FAR emblems on the doors have gone, I wasn't happy with them and was fortunate to find that they could be persuaded to peel off without too much bother.

DSCF5183.jpg

DSCF5185.jpg

The wonky wheels are apparent because they have only been lightly pressed onto the axles for appearance. The tyres need some work to remove the ridge line and will then be weathered off the vehicle.

That's it for tonight, Think I'll go and do some work on the blessed thing now!!

I've cleaned up the mould lines on the tyres and they will be painted shortly. In the mean time I thought I would share my method of making rear view mirrors (as seen on the Diamond T). However, this time I'll use steel for the support rods rather than the carbon fibre: 2 reasons it is stronger and flexible and it is .2mm in diameter rather than .5mm for the carbon fibre.

Firstly I cut out a piece of kitchen foil and punch discs using some backing plastic (these are 1.8mm diameter). I've not used sticky backed foil tape this time as those used on the Diamond T have become detached and vanished!!

DSCF5187.jpg

Remember, these are less than 2mm in diameter and are laid on the glass shiny side down.

The steel comes from acupuncture needles, of which I have a huge stock!!

DSCF5188.jpg

On this occasion I mixed up some rapid epoxy resin, lifted a tiny blob on the tip of each length of steel and placed it on to the foil disc. The right hand 'mirror' doesn't have quite enough of a blob so I will deal with that when it is dry either using more epoxy or possibly a blob of PVA..

DSCF5189.jpg

• 2 months later...

I have taken some flash photos this evening. What looks OK under normal lighting becomes grossly exaggerated with flash - The 'concrete dust' in the tyre treads looks far too light and I think I shall have to dull it down. Then again, it look better under daylight conditions so I'll have another look tomorrow and decide. I would appreciate your comments.

Bowser07.jpg

Bowser06.jpg

Bowser05.jpg

The look I am trying to achieve is a fairly worn out bowser, it's had a hard life and is operating during the 'Bay of Pigs' conflict.

Here is the complete diorama.

Diorama01.jpg

I had thought of doing some work to the protective grill to make it more realistic. My plan was to use fine wire and araldite, but in the end, it would just have been a way to delay the completion of the model. I am looking to achieve the 'right feel' for the subject(s) rather than absolute precision - my eyes and the bananas I have for fingers have convinced me that is the way forward!

I shall post the Sea Fury in the correct place 'for inspection' in due course