Italeri 1/48 Douglas A-4E/F/G Skyhawk

Hi everyone

Here's my latest US Navy Cold War jets offering, built as an A-4F aircraft, US Navy VC-5 "Checktails".

6e34305e66c4627c6fcb6b973ed57576.jpg

I believe this an Esci kit rebox and as such it went together well, OOB other than an Eduard colour etch cockpit . The only construction problem I had was at the end, when I came to fit the main canopy it wouldn't close over the seat....I know, I should have test fitted it....so I took the solution of having the canopy open which whilst there isn't a provision in the kit for this worked out OK I think.

eb154b0ed63547b5f81139f5ffe1ec5d.jpg

Following advice here on the paints section I tried Mr colour 325 for the upper surfaces, which went on beautifully, but I did purchase a 3M 06941 full face mask for spraying this paint which worked beautifully, not a whiff!

5667cf00c662e5dcb70685db80edc7bc.jpg

The only other problem I had was with the location of a couple of decals which was down to me not paying close enough attention I think, do you find decal sheets difficult to read?

2c90be5d7ed1061dc0fd262fb30d6f76.jpg

I pre-shaded the panel lines and then after the gloss coat I dry brushed pastels in varying shades of grey, I technique that I am coming to like more and more.

0b556c198629c6723f1ab0736cb59a99.jpg

Next up the HobbyBoss 1/48 FJ-4B Fury......

9a4c0c5b41e375cd37a52ec0cbe04da7.jpg

As always, comments and advice are welcomed.

Happy Modelling!

TonyS

Edited by dhdove
  • Like 7

Very nice work there. Gotta like a Skyhawk. With decals, i find the builders adage of "measure twice, cut once" works for me as well as trusting photos of the actual aircraft over the instructions.

That's a very nice A4. I had the opportunity of sitting in the cockpit of one in Roosevelt Roads in '93 and it seemed so small it gave the impression of as some pilots say of certain aircraft, 'you don't get into one, you strap it on.' (The plane I mean).