A 1/72nd C-17 Globemaster III - the hard way

Rhino, aka 'Mr Galaxy' has also kindly leant me one of his Anigrand engines to use as a guide for making mine - thanks mate!

As well as finishing off the cockpit, I've also got to make the nose gear bay, so plenty to keep me busy!

Until next time,

Tom

WARNING! As with most of the Anigrand kit the engines are not shaped well. The kit engines are too round, they need the sides sanded flat and the intake lip where the material was removed, thickened. I have started work on mine.

The rest of the dimensions are pretty good lengthwise.

If you can get your hands on the Braz CAD Drawings used for the Revell 1/144 C-17 they will give you a good reference for the engine shape.

Impressively built, impressively nonchalant :) Tom - you tackle with skill and confidence tasks that would make others (ok - me ;)) quail.

Many thanks - but after seeing your masterpieces I'm sure you'd be fine. It just takes a little extra thinking outside the box with kits like this, but they're nothing a modeller of average skill could master.

Tom

Many thanks - but after seeing your masterpieces I'm sure you'd be fine. It just takes a little extra thinking outside the box with kits like this, but they're nothing a modeller of average skill could master.

Tom

I'm with Steve on this, it's great to watch such a daunting task done so well :)

This is a hugely inspiring thread. I have the Combat Models vacform C141B that I'm planning on building (and back dating to a 141A) for our museum.

I am learning a lot from your techniques.

Thank You.

That sounds like a lot of fun!

Be sure to share your build with us when you get around to it, please.

Tom

I have completed the flightdeck over the New Year period - after showing you the basic structure which was done in the last update, I've added some seats from the spares box (I think they are old Monogram B-52 seats which with a little modification suited the job well.) I have also scratch-built the throttle controls on the centre console, as well as making up some instrument decals from various old sheets I found in the 'save them for a rainy day' decal stash. I did a little old fashioned brush-work too; great fun.

I'll go on record now and say it is by far from a 100% accurate representation of a C-17 flightdeck, but when one peers through the windows and has a nose it is certainly good enough for my tastes. And considering it's completely scratch-built by my own fair hands I'm quite happy with it!

S1030484_zps40a49266.jpg

S1030480_zps41eaacea.jpg

I've also masked the cockpit windows from the inside to protect the details during the painting process. Once this is completed, I'll remove the masking and add the glazing from clear acetate.

Tonight I'm hoping to get the nose wheel-bay made up and added to the lower nose area, before adding some weight and re-attaching the crown.

Until next time, happy modelling in 2015 folks :)

Tom

• Like 16

The words "Quite happy with it" do not compute, with regards to that wonderful office

Now considering how elated I was with the office I built for the Sherpa a while ago with far less 'in it' in it

I will just mentally juxtapose the phrase "Bloo*y over the 'expurgated' moon with it"

Of course that is just between you and me guv, know wot I mean? ;)

This just gets awesome in huge step changes Tom, fabuloso stuff indeed

b

All I can say is WOW!

Thanks for the kind words once again - it certainly helps with the motivation on projects such as these.

Not the most exciting of updates but progress continues on the C-17...

The crown area has be refitted and some final shaping of the nose area done. You can see in the picture below some filler which was added to the extreme nose area as I felt this wasn't pointed enough. With some careful sanding this has been rectified:

S1030501_zps60047e5b.jpg

I've also cut out and boxed in the nose gear bay from plastic card - this needs additional detail adding but this won't be completed until later in the build:

S1030505_zps66e886e0.jpg

And once again we have a complete airframe:

S1030489_zpsdcd44f07.jpg

This will now receive a good rub down from some very fine sandpaper and a final coat of filler-primer. I will then set about scribing on surface details and adding the raised areas, too.

Slowly coming together now :)

Tom

• Like 10

I can't wait to see this bird finished, cracking job so far. A friend told me you built a 1/72 747 as well! How does this size up to that?

Thanks Chris

I can't wait to see this bird finished, cracking job so far. A friend told me you built a 1/72 747 as well! How does this size up to that?

Thanks Chris

Hi Chris,

Yes I did build a 1/72nd scale 747 - the finished model is on here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234912715-172nd-scale-boeing-747-300-klm/?hl=%2Baircraft+%2Bminiature+%2Bboeing+%2B747

The 747 is substantially larger - I may get them both out and photograph them together at some point if I can find my wide-angled lens... ;)

Tom

• Like 1