A 1/72nd C-17 Globemaster III - the hard way

Great stuff Tom

Goodness only knows where you plan to put it when it's completed !

Cheers Pat

Hi Pat,

Compared the 1/32nd heavy bombers I have in my collection it's a tiddler! In fact, I even have a shelf big enough for a 1/72nd C-17 so it won't have to go on the spare bed with the others and get me into even more trouble with the wife!

• Like 2

Tom

Why don't I send you the whole Anigrand kit so you can copy engines, wheels etc. I'm going home in about 2 weeks time so I can send it then.

Good work so far.

Ted

Hi Ted,

I've actually contacted Anigrand to see whether they sell parts individually. I'm hoping to get a set of landing gear from them which will save a lot of head scratching and scratch building.

I did think about seeing if I could get a set of engines too, but I'm a little apprehensive about handing large hunks of resin on a wing made of such thin plastic. Spars will help of course, but the last thing I want is some serious wing droop over time ruining the model.

I have been doing some digging and research regarding the vac engines and think I have a cunning plan... to be revealed later of course!

Your offer is very kind and I'll keep it in mind should Anigrad reply with a "no".

Cheers

Tom

Edited by tomprobert

Hi Ted,

I've actually contacted Anigrand to see whether they sell parts individually. I'm hoping to get a set of landing gear from them which will save a lot of head scratching and scratch building.

I did think about seeing if I could get a set of engines too, but I'm a little apprehensive about handing large hunks of resin on a wing made of such thin plastic. Spars will help of course, but the last thing I want is some serious wing droop over time ruining the model.

I have been doing some digging and research regarding the vac engines and think I have a cunning plan... to be revealed later of course!

Your offer is very kind and I'll keep it in mind should Anigrad reply with a "no".

Cheers

Tom

Tom

What about the Jerry Rutman details set as that has the engine fronts and undercarriage ?

Tom

What about the Jerry Rutman details set as that has the engine fronts and undercarriage ?

I've explored that route too, but apparently they're OOP.

It may well be worth sending him an email though as scratching that gear is giving me the shivers!

Tom

Tom, to save some agro... the C-17 looks great with engine covers on (IMO), you could fill both front and back parts with covers to save building the insides? The front one sits over the engine and the rear has inserts.... if I remember rightly, when working on the C-17 many moons ago... 99Sqn had the Puma on the covers and registration, back covers were just red. I will do some digging for photos if you want? :)

Photos here

The fuselage is now more or less structurally complete.

The sponsons and tail have had three coats of filler-primer, with sanding in between, to give them the same smooth surface as the rest of the fuselage.

There is a great deal of surface detail to be added, but this will be done when the flightdeck windows have been sorted otherwise I'll be sanding away all my hard work!

S1030382_zps938551a2.jpg

S1030384_zpsd98697ff.jpg

S1030390_zps41c8316c.jpg

S1030389_zpseaa9a56e.jpg

Speaking of flightdeck windows, I'm waiting for my decal sheet to arrive so I can use the window decals as templates to cut out the apertures. In the meantime, I think I'm going to have a think about the wings...

Until next time,

Tom

• Like 10

Very nice indeed Tom, will you be pre shading this bird?

This looks really good and you're working at a fair rate of knots!

In the last two shots though it looks like some sort of monstrous banana :)

Trevor

I must admit off yellow does seem a rather strange choice of colour for a primer!

Very nice indeed Tom, will you be pre shading this bird?

I'm not a huge fan of pre-shading; I try to add a little tonal variation after the base colour is down (post shading.) RAF C-17s seem to be pretty well cared for though, so I wont be going OTT with any weathering.

Tom

• Like 3

The fuselage is now more or less structurally complete.

The sponsons and tail have had three coats of filler-primer, with sanding in between, to give them the same smooth surface as the rest of the fuselage.

There is a great deal of surface detail to be added, but this will be done when the flightdeck windows have been sorted otherwise I'll be sanding away all my hard work!

Speaking of flightdeck windows, I'm waiting for my decal sheet to arrive so I can use the window decals as templates to cut out the apertures. In the meantime, I think I'm going to have a think about the wings...

Until next time,

Tom

Tom,

Nice progress, you wiz through these builds so quickly. :thumbsup:

Not sure where you are sourcing your decals from but be aware I believe the Draw Decals were designed for the Anigrand kit which has poorly shaped windscreen panels, If you can get a sheet designed for the Revell 1/144 kit and upsize them wouldl be a better outcome. I am going this way on my Anigrand build.

I've explored that route too, but apparently they're OOP.

It may well be worth sending him an email though as scratching that gear is giving me the shivers!

Tom

You could save yourself the headache by making it in flight?

Great work so far. I'm enjoying watching you bring it together.

Tom,

Nice progress, you wiz through these builds so quickly. :thumbsup:

Not sure where you are sourcing your decals from but be aware I believe the Draw Decals were designed for the Anigrand kit which has poorly shaped windscreen panels, If you can get a sheet designed for the Revell 1/144 kit and upsize them wouldl be a better outcome. I am going this way on my Anigrand build.

Thanks for the heads-up on the window decals - I am indeed using a Draw Decal set so will keep this in mind.

You could save yourself the headache by making it in flight?

Great work so far. I'm enjoying watching you bring it together.

Possibly - but then I'd have to make a stand large and strong enough to support it. I don't know what would be worse!

Is that ridge that has been crated by jining the sponson the the fuselage there in the real aircraft? I only ask because I can't see it in photos.

Ace work so far, it's far better than I could do :thumbsup:

K

The sponson shape can be seen well in this image - the join between the fuselage is quite pronounced: http://www.tntnphotos.com/2014/07/boeing-c-17-globemaster-iii/air_c-17_hawaii_boeing_and_usaf_lg/

Thanks for all the interest and kind words folks :)

Tom

Landing gear problem solved - I have contacted Anigrand and have a set of their gear on its way.

Really helpful and very resonably priced (£12 in cluding postage) so very pleased!

One problem solved :)

Tom

• Like 3

Now Tom.

Please confirm that when you bought the ...um....kit ....um.....challenge..... you paid a quarter .....um......a fifth.....um........half of bugger all because the vendors provide NOTHING and you make everything else yourself?

That's right isn't it? ... :coolio::winkgrin:

Cheers!

Now Tom.

Please confirm that when you bought the ...um....kit ....um.....challenge..... you paid a quarter .....um......a fifth.....um........half of bugger all because the vendors provide NOTHING and you make everything else yourself?

That's right isn't it? ... :coolio::winkgrin:

Cheers!

You've just about hit the nail on the head there... just a shell in the basic shape (although in this case incorrect) of a C-17...

Can't remember how exactly much it was, but I believe they're aound the £25 mark.

It's all good fun!

Tom

Edited by tomprobert
  • Like 1

... because the vendors provide NOTHING and you make everything else yourself?

What's the alternative though?

• The Anigrand kit is much more expensive and much heavier and somehow inherited all the dimensional inaccuracies.
  • Building a wooden master and vac forming parts from scratch would be significantly more effort and I suspect even more expensive than the Anigrand.

My personal view is that we should be grateful that CM saw fit to make something resembling a C-17 at all. Despite all its faults, Tom is proving that it can make a pretty impressive model, albeit with the application of bucket loads of skill and patience.

Kirk

• Like 1

Well said Kirk

• Like 1