A 1/72nd C-17 Globemaster III - the hard way

Tom, is it possible to scribe panel lines into this filler? Is this Halfords stuff acrylic? The only brand I could find in my country is Prisma colour and it is nitro-acrylic. I'm not sure what effect the 'nitro' part would have on styrene and filler.

Its a thick acrylic paint, if you apply it too thickly in one go, it will run and fill all the surface detail.

Thin coats and then re scribe as deep as you would normally go. It's main benefit is filling minor imperfections without the need to keep re treating areas normal primer reveals.

As Bentwaters has explained, scribing is no problem on this stuff. It dries nice and hard, but is soft enough for a scriber to do its magic.

As for the 'nitro' ingredients - maybe check on a scrap piece first before committing it to your latest creation?!

The undercarriage sponsons went on last night - a bit of filling and fettling required but all in all a pretty successful operation.

Tom

• Like 2

I may have to invest in some of this filler primer, looks good, after seeing it on Iains Connie

That's where I first read about it - I wish I'd discovered it sooner as it would have saved me a lot of work in the past :banghead:

Tom

Evening all :)

I've been working on getting the undercarriage sponsons attached to the fuselage over the last few sessions. After working out exactly where they're positioned (using Revell's 1/144th scale kit) work began by adding some basic detail to the fuselage sides which form part of the wheels bays:

S1030337_zps6944ef98.jpg

The sponsons themselves had some structural detail added to box in the bays, add the small intakes on the front edges made from plastic card and the APU exhaust added to the right side. The small doors on the outer sides were opened up, too:

S1030340_zps6a195438.jpg

Once this was complete, they were given a final trimming and sanding and added to the fuselage sides. A quick lick of filler and they were on:

S1030346_zpsd8ac07bf.jpg

S1030348_zps9defea1b.jpg

S1030351_zpsdf2298ed.jpg

S1030352_zps5efdb8d7.jpg

S1030355_zpsdedc95f8.jpg

Next up is the fin...

S1030344_zpsb5464659.jpg

Until next time,

Tom

• Like 9

Tom, as usual great work.

One question what glue did you use to add the sponsons onto the painted fuselage, usually I find that liquid glue crazes the paint. I am sure you also need a good bond secure the sponsons into place. Also how long did you let the paint cure before adding the sponsons.

cheers Ali

Tom, as usual great work.

One question what glue did you use to add the sponsons onto the painted fuselage, usually I find that liquid glue crazes the paint. I am sure you also need a good bond secure the sponsons into place. Also how long did you let the paint cure before adding the sponsons.

cheers Ali

Hi Ali,

I used a mixture of Revell Contacta and good old fashioned superglue. The Contacta goes on first, and then I also add the superglue after. This means the latter dries more slowly and final adjustments can be made. The superglue then dies and it's rock solid.

The paint has been on since Saturday, and the sponsons were actually added on Tuesday. I had no adverse reaction with the paint at all.

Tom

I am loving this matey

Hi Ali,

I used a mixture of Revell Contacta and good old fashioned superglue. The Contacta goes on first, and then I also add the superglue after. This means the latter dries more slowly and final adjustments can be made. The superglue then dies and it's rock solid.

The paint has been on since Saturday, and the sponsons were actually added on Tuesday. I had no adverse reaction with the paint at all.

Tom

Hi Tom

Thanks for that, I will be trying that technique out for sure sounds rather clever. To be clear and sure do the two glues mix / go on top of each other, or do you first use contacta and then add super glue around edges? Sorry to be so pedantic but want to get the process right.

Ali

Hi Tom

Thanks for that, I will be trying that technique out for sure sounds rather clever. To be clear and sure do the two glues mix / go on top of each other, or do you first use contacta and then add super glue around edges? Sorry to be so pedantic but want to get the process right.

Ali

Hi Ali,

The contacta goes down first, on the edges that are to be mated. I then apply the superglue to the same location after, and the two naturally mix together. When the part is applied to the model, the spuerglue dires a little more slowly due to the contacta, but the result is a very strong join - with the bonus of a little 'wiggle time' before the superglue hardens.

Tom

• Like 1

You do realise Tom that after you having done all this work, AirRevItalfix will be announcing a 2015 release of a brand new tool,accurate, highly detailed IM kit of a C-17...........................................................!!!!

Allan

Is this beginning to hurt yet as the dog looks a tad concerned. If you pull this one off appoint yourself Lord High Comissioner of Hetton-Le-Hole and Grand Admiral of Seaham

This will be easy peasy for Tom, considering the other vacforms he's done

You do realise Tom that after you having done all this work, AirRevItalfix will be announcing a 2015 release of a brand new tool,accurate, highly detailed IM kit of a C-17...........................................................!!!!

Allan

Story of my life... are there any other obscure projects out there you chaps want me to tackle as sure as it'll get dark tonight an injection moulded example will soon follow! You may be pleased to know I'm lining up another 1/48th Shackleton next... :rolleyes:

This will be easy peasy for Tom, considering the other vacforms he's done

It's proving relativly straight forward so far Kev, but you wait until you see the engines. They are going to cause a serious headache! But that's all part of the 'fun'... :)

Tom

• Like 1

The 'blueprints' that CM provides with their kits are ridiculous. I could probably draw a better looking Globemaster with my eyes closed...

You are doing a great job with this challenging kit Tom (and you are very fast too :) ). I'll follow this one with interest.

I've been eyeing with a Sanger Candid, but I'm not sure I have the skill to finish such a big vacuform kit...

Good luck!

OOH I'd like too see your 'eye -closed 'drawing.. :wicked:

Tom,

I got the impression from the Revell 1:144 kit that the difference in sponson length is more pronounced than is apparent in the CM. I can't quite make out from your pics whether or not you had to do any adjustment after all?

Kirk

Hi Kirk,

The Revell sponson certianly looks longer than the Combat example. In truth I probably could have spent some time lengthening it - it probably needs half an inch or so. However, life is too short and when viewed in plan form the right is longer than the left, so that's good enough for me. Once the APU exhaust and natural metal area around the APU is on it'll be passable I think.

Just caught up with this one. Very impressive all around, Tom. You're a braver man than I to add filler then SAND something so perilously thin!

Ian

Sanding it is cetainly a challenge - that's why I apply plenty of filler as it takes the brunt of the sanding process. The filler-primer is certainly helping too - there's 3 or so good thick coats on the fuselage which has given it an extra half mm or so thickness!

• Like 1

I've been working on the fin this week.

First task was to get it constructed - internal spars from wooden dowel and sprue gave it some much needed strength. I also removed the rudder and boxed in the hinge line as you often see C-17s parked with the rudder kinked over:

S1030358_zps06e45a1e.jpg

It then came to fitting it to the fuselage - those of a slightly nervous or squeamish disposition look away now:

S1030359_zps98877c3c.jpg

However, some P38 car body filler and a good sand with some wet and dry, and all was well in the world again:

S1030365_zps4ac5c432.jpg

I also filled the panel detail as it was fairly crude and I want to add my own at a later date.

Now the fin is on the model is really starting to take on the look of McDonnell-Douglas' finest:

S1030361_zps7eb7db64.jpg

S1030369_zps9692a7d9.jpg

S1030372_zpsdcf25352.jpg

S1030374_zpsb0c6dff6.jpg

S1030377_zpse777d49b.jpg

S1030371_zps535114ba.jpg

There's still a fair bit of surface detail to be added to the fin, but this will be done once it's had a generous spraying of filler-primer. At the moment it's freezing outside and not ideal for spraying - the joys of winter!

Tom

• Like 6

Looks great in the last photo Tom...!

gets better

and better

Stunning work Tom, absolutely stunning.

Nik

Thanks for the kind words guys... it's starting to come together nicely now.