A 1/72nd C-17 Globemaster III - the hard way

Talk about making a silk purse from a sows ear, I am so impressed at the sheer quality of your build considering the lump you had to start with!

Thanks once again for this very kind comments :)

When you do the RFI, you really need to post a "before and after" shot so everyone can see just how far this has come.

Will do Jessica - it certainly wasn't Tamiya quality to begin with... ;)

Mind.... Blown! Could only be better if she were marked as an RCAF bird, but none-the-less, an incredible build!

The thought did cross my mind to do a Canadian one, and an Auzzie version was a possibility too - but in the end my patriotic streak took over...

Talk about making a silk purse from a sows ear, I am so impressed at the sheer quality of your build considering the lump you had to start with!

Fantastic, an ugly blob of badly deformed plastic to this beauty. A bit of modelling inspiration for sure. Just shows what modelling skills can do.

Cheers guys... kits like this do test one's resolve, but I love them!

Looking good tom.
Really amazing after seeing what you started with.

Have you seen this c-17?
http://speedsociety.com/the-c-17-is-the-biggest-rc-airplane-in-the-world/

I have seen the RC one before... it's quite amazing. Not sure if I'd have the courage to fly it though!

No further updates unfortunately - being a teacher and with the end of the school year on the horizon, the only thing on the bench at the moment is exams to mark and end of year reports to write. Still, the summer holiday will soon be here B)

Tom

• Like 4

Well done Tom, what a fantastic project all round.

You've really done a superb job of taming the kit in the first instance, but all the detail work just makes it something special. :clap2:

Inspirational stuff in one respect, but just watching it all come together was worth the entrance money :popcorn:

Al

Remarkable; My first vacform was the AM 1/72 B747-300 and I too have this beast (and quite a few others) waiting for years now. I did manage to order the Rutman detail set. One look at the dented and misformed upper wing halves scared me away from building it at the time, but now that I have seen your work, I might be tempted to have a go at it.

• Like 1

She's all done now guys and gals:

18839155738_e203295ccb_c.jpgDSC_0042 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Lots more pictures can be found here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234983904-172nd-scale-c-17a-globemaster-iii/#entry2021919

It was a pleasure sharing the journey with you all, and thanks for your words of encouragement along the way :)

Tom

• Like 9