Potez 540, Spanish Civil War, Heller 1/72

JWM

Hi,

The second of my heavy French bombers from Republican side of Spanish Civil War is Potez 540 (the first one is Bloch 210, which I just posted).

Some ten French Potez 540 were send to Spain and they formed "Esquadrilla Espagna" (Sguadron The Spain) in 1936. The key person in this was French writer and movie maker - Andre Malraux. He was volunteer there, like Ernest Hemingway or Eric Blair (who is better known as George Orwell).

The markings are of machine of cpt. Mellado, Northern Front in Autumn 1936.

She has individual name "Aqui te espero?" - I think it meanas "What are you waiting for?" but please correct me, if I am wrong. (EDIT '2017- it is wrong, see post by Luis Alfonso below)  Decals hand painted. Narrow white stripes on side of red ones are for machine of commander.

I was experimenting here with rigging - I used here steel string from guitar... Not very good idea.

Similar to Bloch 210 she was also waiting long time in stash for construction - I made the model in 2001 whereas bought the kit in 1974....

Please enjoy and comment

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

potez 540 DSC02773potez 540 DSC02772potez 540 DSC02771potez 540 DSC02770potez 540 DSC02769potez 540 DSC02774

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 28

Very nice!

Love Spanish Civil War aircraft, especially the Republicans. So many different aircraft, maintenance must been a nightmare.

You have to wonder what the French were thinking when they were designing those beasts.

• Like 3

Hi Jerzy!!!

I was wondering how many jewels have you in your nice collection , and looking what you have been posting it deserves a nice trip to your wonderful country just for know your nice city, know you and share many many moments looking and enjoying your nice collection. Yes sir!!!

I have the pleassure of watch just once in my life this very old kit in the stash of a friend, and with the other three/four that made the Heller collection of pre war bomber were sealed AND completely out of reach of anyone hands, as he had a room fullof things in towers fron the floor to one meter and little more high. He moved to USA BUT first sold many of his collection, and when I went to his home and ask about he answered me " The one who bough them paid very good money for them",,,with a lot of reason.

I have enjoyed this one ç, a rare and valuable kit, and liked a lot the finish you got and the version you chose, and also, the photography and story. Its a realpleasure to watch your post.

AND BTW a little correction: in Sapnish language the Phrase "AQUÌ TE ESPERO" means "I WAIT HERE FOR YOU", but congratulations for the big effort you did with a language unknown and very different for yours, I'm sure that trying to speak polish I'll do that thousands of miles far, very far from the real meaning and with words that have nothing to see.

Thank you very much for sharing,

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso.

• Like 1

I like her very much as I haven't see many of this kit. The subject is very interesting too and there are many aircraft to build. I have been a lttle more on the Republican side since I met some years ago a former I-16 pilot in France.

Thank you for sharing.

Patrick

• Like 1

Thank you mates for very positive feedback :)

Luis - if you just decide to visit Krakow - welcome! Besides my collection there is also a nice Aviation Museum in town :).

Did you have to reinforce the landing gear, I don't know if it's just the stance of the thing, but it looks heavy.

Oposide, it is rather not heavy, so its only looks so massive.

BTW - I have still second one on the stash which I want one day (or rather one or two months :) ) convert to the transport Potez 62 or 65. - look, what a nice camouflages and machine itself:

http://www.lasegundaguerra.com/viewtopic.php?f=236&t=12347

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 2

Thank you mates for very positive feedback :)

Luis - if you just decide to visit Krakow - welcome! Besides my collection there is also a nice Aviation Museum in town :).

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

I know there are low-cost direct flights Paris / Krakow and it could be a nice idea too.

On the other hand you could have a trip to ModellBrno, Czech Republic, next June where some friends and I are attending this big show.

http://www.modellbrno.cz

Patrick

• Like 1

BTW - I have still second one on the stash which I want one day (or rather one or two months :) ) convert to the transport Potez 62 or 65. - look, what a nice camouflages and machine itself:

http://www.lasegundaguerra.com/viewtopic.php?f=236&t=12347

That's incerdibly graceful compared to the bomber version.....The nose reminds me of a Dragon Rapide. :coolio:

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Tony, many thanks :) 

I posted already 29 my models from Spanish Ciil War from both sides. I joined BM in August 2014,  they are spread over those 3 years... They should not be difficult to find, if you interesting. I made them mostly over last 20 years...

Cheers

J-W

Beautiful Potez Jerzy!

Painted just right!

The Potez 540 and the Bloch 210 are possibly two of the best kits from the Heller Musee range. They sure are a pleasure to behold.

JR

• Like 1

John and Jean - many thanks. 

3 hours ago, jean said:

The Potez 540 and the Bloch 210 are possibly two of the best kits from the Heller Musee range. They sure are a pleasure to behold.

Indeed. Jean - have you said "Bloch 210"? - if you would like to see - here is Bloch 210 :) :

Cheers

J-W