Metamorphosis: Bf110D-3 to E

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back from the winter break, so spent a bit of time, no actually a LOT of time yesterday masking the canopy. My intention was to make life easy for myself and just fit the whole canopy closed up. I was using Frisket film and it was going quite well until I heard a crack - yep, canopy split right down the middle!! Damn, damn and triple damn! I guess I must have been holding it a tad tightly! So, Plan B: the separate canopy sections. I just used Tamiya masking tape this time, all went well and I gave them a coat of RLM02 yesterday evening followed by my "black" mixture this morning. I was pretty pleased with the results when the tape came off, though I have to say that the instructions are really pathetic and give no idea whatsoever about how the different canopy sections fit together in the open position. Without Bf110 photos and references you'd be totally at sea:

DSCN7054_zpsf39566b6.jpg

DSCN7057_zps8db63b89.jpg
DSCN7053_zps3eed73f0.jpg
DSCN7058_zps38ea0f1a.jpg
The sections are just placed in position at the moment and of course the pilot's side and top glazings aren't there yet. Just fiddly bits remain......might just about make 1st Feb. :)
  • Like 1

Those engines look superb . can you post another close up of one with its bulkhead please .

Lucky it comes with another canopy section but i can see how easy it is to crack it as my Eduard one almost bit the dust

It was a nuisance Henrik, but to be honest it forced me to do what, in my heart of hearts, I knew I should do and that is to make the sectioned canopy. It's all worked out for the best in the end and it'll fit in better with my planned "montage"!!

I'm pleased with the way the engines worked out Alistair, both the installed one and t'other on the ground; I have a little "twist" in store with that one. I'll take another pic or two for sure but it won't be till Wednesday afternoon I'm afraid.

.... can you post another close up of one with its bulkhead please .

Pictures as requested Alistair. The canopy's just about finished apart from the side windows, so really it's just the aileron balances, radio antenna etc before I can wrap this one up:

DSCN7061_zpse6e9c12b.jpg

DSCN7058_zps38ea0f1a.jpg
DSCN7059_zpsc60658f4.jpg
DSCN7070_zps69e51e21.jpg
DSCN7065_zpscefc1980.jpg
  • Like 3

Thanks for posting Max . Are those banjo bolts on the end of the pipes ,if so a little spot of metalic brass / copper on inside of them would look good .

I notice you have wing walk lines along with most other builds here . funny that Eduard dont supply them in their 1/48 kits.

Hmmm, wing walkway lines are a bit of a problem in that I'm sure, as I've read, that they soon "disappear" through wear, dirt etc so perhaps Eduard just decided not to bother!? I've got to do a bit more about mine on the E, not happy about the forward edges yet, especially on the starboard wing. Agreed that a touch of metallic might add a highlight on the bulkhead pipe ends. I've found out this evening that Dragon don't supply the clear navigation light covers at all! So now I've got to fettle a couple from clear sprue, not difficult I know but very odd not to include them.

Max, this is looking really good, the finish and details are brilliant. Love the engines. I need to finish mine, just not had the free time to do much modelling recently.

This GB has opened my eyes to the '110 and its history. Two Eduard 1/72 kits in the stash now, hoping to build one in the BOB GB.

Looking forward to seeing the end result of this project :)

Rob

With a bit of luck and a fair breeze, this aircraft should be finished today. Bob will be relieved to see that the starboard engine and prop gauges are now on their correct inboard side - though it was an "engine out" job to do it!!!

DSCN7077_zpsftinbfdf.jpg

DSCN7080_zpsuarekixa.jpg
Away for the weekend so final pics on Monday if I'm home in time.
  • Like 2

So the metamorphosis is complete! Changes from D3 to E comprise a new tail end, new nose (thanks Bob!), new pitot tube and replacement single seat for the bordfunker and gunner.

DSCN7106_zps9ctd6put.jpg

DSCN7088_zpslsmcb9dh.jpg
DSCN7091_zpsufajucge.jpg
DSCN7095_zpskaozfvbq.jpg
DSCN7098_zpsmuynpftz.jpg
Pictures in the Gallery tomorrow - one or two extra.
  • Like 4

Well paced Max with a superb result and only 4 days to go. Did you manage to paint oil under the mechanics finger nails ?

Ah ha, but the burning question is......will the G4 be finished in time? Struggling with the radar antennae right now. The Geschwaderkommodore is expected for an inspection tomorrow so all is spick and span, including finger nails! :)

WOW!

That looks amazing Max! I wish I had the time to even attempt a diorama let alone do one, they always scare me!!!

She looks great, wish I had thought of the well covers........would have saved me from doing two sets!