Metamorphosis: Bf110D-3 to E

I don't know whether it's me or not, but I'm massively disappointed with the way that the nose and weapons' bay cover fit on this kit. The cross-section profile of the nose doesn't match the mating fuselage profile on the lower "corners", and the weapons' bay cover either sits too proud on the top edge or too wide on the port and starboard sides. It's going to need some remedial work to get an acceptable finish, but then I risk losing the detail of catches etc. Photos tomorrow I hope.

No I'm afraid internal sanding doesn't help Alistair, the part is simply too wide and if you "pinch" the sides to make it fit widthways, it becomes too high! Anyway, it's sanded now with some lost detail on the starboard side but I can live with that on a plane that's going to be predominantly black!

Max

The main bodywork is finished and primed, then the yellow area on the aft fuselage sprayed ready for masking prior to the "black" of the rest of the fuselage and wings. I've mixed the black already, it's 50% flat black and 50% dark earth. I'll have another look tomorrow morning in daylight to re-assess but I'm also tempted to add just a touch of blue to it. Pictures tomorrow.

Max

Just caught up on your progress here Max, I like the work you're doing on the engine bays.

I found the same thing with the nose / gun bay cover that you mention, I ended up fitting the gun cover tight at one end then sanded out the step, filled the gap and rescribed a join at the other end. That said, these parts didn't necessarily fit together well on the real thing!

Keep up the good work, I notice you haven't tackled those inserts in the port wing yet ;-)

Jon

Yep, that's exactly what I found. I decided to make a good top edge fit the priority and fill the lower, less visible side. Bit of a compromise but I think in black it will be less obvious anyway (hopefully) :) .

She's looking pretty smart in black! I've still got further tonal work and post-shading to do but again the Gunze paints went on supremely well:

DSCN6848_zpsd4a353fb.jpg

DSCN6849_zps473266a2.jpg
DSCN6850_zpsb1f85237.jpg
When completely dry I'll be decalling then adding a coat of flat finish.
  • Like 1

Thank you Henrik and Mish, must admit that I'm quite pleased with the way she's coming along. I've done as much decalling as I intend to do - no point putting tiny black warning signs on a black aeroplane! I bought the decals specifically for G9+LN, they're by LSP, a Brazilian company but not as good as I would have wished. The carrier film is rather too thick for my liking and the register isn't accurate in places:

DSCN6851_zps586050ab.jpg

DSCN6852_zps4de922ca.jpg
DSCN6853_zpsacaab772.jpg
DSCN6854_zpsd8825717.jpg
I've started a bit of scuffing on the wing root area, especially around the fuel tank covers and then knocked back the brightness of the decals with a fine thinned scale black. The exhaust staining is heavily thinned Vallejo Sand, gradually built up to give the appearance of a lean running engine. Flat coating tomorrow I hope.
  • Like 2

I've had a really busy few days so either not much time for modelling, or for photography in a good light, but finally some time for a couple of shots of the engine installed. I've used reference photos to add some extra cabling, fuel lines etc and then attempted to make it all look pretty greasy and grimy:

DSCN6870_zpsc1b9ddf5.jpg

DSCN6872_zps8370469a.jpg
DSCN6874_zpsf3b3a907.jpg
Undercarriage is being progressed - she may be on her "legs" later today, with luck.
  • Like 2

Main parts of the undercarriage legs are on:

DSCN6879_zps84a3a2f2.jpg

Since she's in for an engine change, the mechanics have taken the trouble to fit the wheel covers too!

DSCN6888_zps40db35cb.jpg
DSCN6887_zps9a28517d.jpg
Canopy masking next..... :hypnotised:

Since she's in for an engine change, the mechanics have taken the trouble to fit the wheel covers too!

maybe I could do that to mine, fit wheel covers to save me some work! :whistle:

Looking very nice, well done.

I've never really thought about that Bob, I know that there's no "handedness" to the nacelles i.e. they're interchangeable but are the dials really read from the cockpit or are they more for ground crew use during run-ups and maintenance etc.? I dunno!! :)

Damn, looks like you're right Bob! Seems like some delicate surgery's required when I get back from my break. Thanks for spotting that, another smidgen of info filed!