Metamorphosis: Bf110D-3 to E

If I considered myself to be delusional when I started my G4, my condition has deteriorated to that of Barking Madness since I'm contemplating starting another build before I've finished my first one! This project has been on the back-burner for some time; I couldn't resist the Wingtech D-3 kit when I saw it on offer at Telford 2 or 3 years ago, though I really wanted to make an E, but not just any old E, it had to be this one:

Schnaufer_zps5a27bdbd.jpg

This particular aircraft was flown by none other than Heinz Wolfgang Schnaufer in his early days when he was with NJG1. I'm lucky enough to have a copy of his bordfunker's (Fritz Rumpelhardt) autobiography in which he talks about flying G9+ LN (Ludwig Nordpol).

fritzcover_zps2d8ce4cc.jpg

DSCN6609_zpsb34315ba.jpg
So comparing the Revell/Monogram G4 with Wingtech's fuselage there is a lot of similarity, so I reckon I can amputate the aft end of the D-3 and graft on the G4 tail end!!
DSCN6611_zps7f59418d.jpg
It gives me the chance to do some interesting stuff with an engine or two. It may end very messily and in tears!
Max

I think my sanity is already in question Andy, but being a senior citizen a) I have a good excuse and B) i don't care!

Ettore, retirement is a blissful state, no pressures of any kind and loads of time to do what you want. My problem is fitting everything in.....I should be on the golf course this morning but I also want to prime my G4 and I've got a tree down that needs cutting up!

I'm looking forward to the E Alistair. I've not build a Wingtech kit before but the quality of the parts is mouth-watering, and the beautiful engines will be exposed on it. Just hope it doesn't disappoint like the Eduard one did.

Max

I've been going through some of my Bf110 reference pictures, thought I'd post one or two:

NJWD3_zpsa42f274d.jpg

NJWD2_zps61856702.jpg
I guess those worn away areas on the leading edge in the picture above is from the fuel hose rubbing on it.
photo-03_zpsb797d725.jpg
The shape of the nacelles shows this isn't an E, probably a C2, but it's a great picture for detail.
Max

The spare nose would be very much appreciated Bob! I realised I'd have to make that little inlet between the machine guns but a ready made one would be excellent. I'm only looking at the very aft section of the fuselage to replace the extended dinghy stowage section so there shouldn't be any other implications for the rest of the plane (I hope).

Yes, I believe they're all the same kit but others may know better.

Max

Ah, you are doing the same one as me, though I am sticking with the kit all the way through. Be aware that the instructions are a little vague for the engine, as I found out last night. When fitting the cam covers, I aligned them to meet the pipes leaving the top of the reduction gear housing, where they should have been fitted all the way to the rear to meet up with the mounting for the supercharger and ancillaries. It is too late for me, but forewarned etc.. BTW, I am pluggin on regardless as I am hoping that the shift in cam cover position is not noticeable once installed.

I've been putting the engines together (pictures later I hope) and taking my courage in both hands, made the cut:

DSCN6625_zpsc6a5eed4.jpg

having checked everything carefully with callipers. The G4 section is slightly narrower than the Wingtech fuselage but I'll put a spacer inside the grafted section. This is what I'm trying to achieve:

DSCN6622_zps16e3e93e.jpg

John Vasco's profile book notes that this aircraft G9+LN had the upgraded scissors link tailwheel fitted so I was able, just, to retain that from the G4.

Max

OK, it's not quite as straightforward (is it ever?!) as I first thought, there are implications for both the upper and rear areas of the empennage. I'm lucky in that I have several spare bits of a Revell G2/4 so I've been hacking the tailplane about to see if I can get everything to fit, and although it's still very rough and ready I think it's going to be OK. There's no doubt that some filling and filing will be necessary but I'll try to keep this to the nearest minimum.

Max

Managed to get some time in on the cockpit. John Vasco's Illustrated Study of Bf110C/D and E shows some very well worn interiors so that's my aim with this one in particular:

DSCN6634_zpsc3f54c28.jpg

DSCN6632_zpsf58581d8.jpg
Max
  • Like 3

In my case Max it is a lack of ability that governs my preference; you clearly operate under no such restriction :coolio: I would have left silver blobs daubed over the floor whereas yours looks like someone has walked on it and scuffed their feet about moving in the gunner's seat - to have the confidence to even try that let alone be able to do it is something I envy a bit.

Cheers,

Stew

• 3 weeks later...

So here's the underwing centre section to fuselage problem with the Dragon/Cyberhobby D3:

Bf110hackedbits_zps32289118.jpg

DSCN6735_zpse14f406e.jpg
The fit is not good as can be seen, but I haven't yet been able to isolate exactly where the contentious area causing the problem is. The arrows show places where I've started hacking in order to improve the fit but none of these have worked so far. I'm going to try whacking some paint on the gun bay area (which can't be seen AT ALL I don't think once the assembly is complete) then mating it up in the hopes of seeing where the paint transfers to on the other part....if all that makes sense! (I know what I mean :) ).
Max
  • Like 1

So you could say you're trying to smear this kit :winkgrin: . What is it with 1/48 110 wing/fuselage joins? (Which reminds me, need to get some attention directed back at the beast...) Though I don't remember any complaint about the Monogram one.

bob