HMS Leander, Frigate, 1/600 Airfix, Ikara Upgrade.

This is one ship I thought I would never build,An Airfix Leander 1/600,last one was 1974! Also as Airfix not producing this kit any more.They can still be found on E... and other sites,don't pay any more than £10! They do pop up regularly. :pipe: ,Then along came 3D printing and HMS Leander now can look the part,I will get round to building more of the class in the future. :evil_laugh: The model was waterlined with added items from WEM and spares box .more details are on work in progress.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234963951-hms-leander-frigate-1600-airfix-ikara-upgrade/

There were 26 ships in the class,if you want to read more about the class here is a link,there is lots to read.

http://en.wikipedia....r-class_frigate

Now on to to shapeways this is link to this site for the upgrades for 1/600

https://www.shapeway...shops/bogeysbit

L1_zpsd244bdd2.jpg

L1_zps35243d8f.jpg

L2_zps34eaeacb.jpg

L3_zpsac4aaeb7.jpg

L13_zpsa2a208b2.jpg

L9_zps6f6baaa5.jpg

L4_zpsf1cdef27.jpg

L5_zpsa59cec12.jpg

L6_zpsbd56d299.jpg

L7_zps7cdf93ce.jpg

• Like 14

If there were a 'flat on my back-fainted from the sheer shock of seeing such brilliance' emoticon...I would have used it. But obviously only after having recovered enough to post it.

I'm in awe...I made several of these years ago; a nice little kit actually, but this is the best I have ever seen. Truly stunning. WELL DONE! :clap::clap::clap:

• Like 1

Spot On!

Why o why have we not got a 1/350 plastic kit? On top of the UK ships there are the foreign builds, add to that all the sales and resales, the various conversions could make additional issues or give the AM retailers some business, there must be a reasonable market for a kit. Don't mind who makes it.

• Like 2

If you check out atlantic models on FB Peter Hall is bring out one in 1/350 resin with P.E.

Thanks...I haven't checked Peter's work for a while now. I knew he had a prototype R09 in the offing, but for some unsubstantiated reason I thought PH had disappeared. (Such a straw in the wind type I'm realising I might be)

Is he still associated with White Ensign?

Peter Halls kit should be out after Christmas, he's already taking pre-orders, he was having website issuesa couple of weeks back, but his FB page is still OK.

I've said it before Chris, you've made Airfix's toy look like a miniature Leander, fabulous build.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That is an outstanding little ship - great work!

I have one in the stash & the WEM sets werre on my 'to get' list..... :(

Lovely model on a cracking base!

Keith

PS - the link to the shapeways bits appears to be broken, are they still available?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...