Stew Dapple's Eduard 1/72 Bf110D Profipack - EprGr.210, Boulogne-Ost, Sept 1940

Hi Andy,

In terms of quality the Phoenix Precision Paints 'feel' similar to Xtracolor and WEM Colourcoats, and spray about the same, but they don't have the glossy finish of Xtracolor and seem less dark in shade than the WEM paints. I prefer them to both the Xtracolor and the WEM, but I can't quite put my finger on why, they just seem nicer to use, somehow.

Max, yes, I know, it's just those late-war colour schemes... 50 Shades of Grey just doesn't do it for me I'm afraid :lol:

I had another productive day: sprayed the RLM02:

DSCN1881.jpg

... and after a while, masked those areas:

DSCN1885.jpg

... then sprayed the RLM71 dunkelgrun:

DSCN1887.jpg

... and after a couple of little retouches, assembled the propellers and landing gear legs:

DSCN1901.jpg

The mottle is not quite as I intended, a bit darker than is apparent on the photographs of the real aircraft I think, but I don't think I could do it any better so I am quite pleased with it ^_^

In the post this morning I received the Print Scale decals set of Luftwaffe Bomb Markings:

DSCN1871.jpg

Yes I know it is hardly a necessity but I am such a sucker for things like this :D - this is how they came out added to the assembled and painted bombs:

DSCN1904.jpg

So all in all I had a pretty good day :)

Tomorrow I will hopefully complete the landing gear and start Klearing the model...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 5

Yet another reason I like my aircraft "clean"! Authentic decals for bombs... <walks away muttering>

Each to their own Bob, I am not suggesting that you should stick bombs on your aircraft, nor stencils on those bombs; no need to be sniffy about it.

Cheers,

Stew

The camo is looking really good, the bombs look the business too! It is the small details that make the difference. Looking forward to seeing this one with the decals on!

Rob

• Like 1

Lightning fast build and time for research too! I'm really impressed now. Also impressed that the paint dries quick enough to be masked up the same day, you would never get away with that on Xtracolour!

One question for everyone out there (but I'll ask here anyway), the choice to use RLM02 for the interior, where does that come from? I'm no expert on Bf110's but understood that they switched to 66 earlier than 109's. Is there any definitive evidence out there to identify when they switched interior colours?

Duncan B

• Like 1

Duncan, I have a seemingly well researched document/guide which I'll check later, but it lists Bf110 C/D/E as RLM02 but F and G as RLM66. I have no knowledge of 109s so can't comment on the comparison in time.
Max

PS I've copied and posted the guide in the Reference thread section.

• Like 2

Each to their own Bob, I am not suggesting that you should stick bombs on your aircraft, nor stencils on those bombs; no need to be sniffy about it.

I said I was muttering, not crying! But you apparently missed the twinkle in my eye, or tongue in my cheek. Incidentally, I would put bombs (etc) on a model if there were some particular reason (a "point" I was trying to illustrate), I just usually prefer sleek and clean, especially since it saves me extra things to have to fuss over! I was a bit amazed that there WAS a whole decal sheet for bomb markings, and such "esoterica" as accurate stencils on bombs is a detail I've never really thought about- but if you're going to the trouble of getting an aircraft's details right, why wouldn't you also think about the details of the "accessories"?

Meanwhile on another forum someone responded to a question about photo-etch instrument panels by saying "just close the canopy- you can't see that kind of stuff most of the time anyway". Each to their own, indeed...

bob

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 2

I was just about to ask what colour to paint MY bombs! Airfix instructs to paint them black and Eduard khaki green. I would have gone for RLM 71 black green or light blue anyway, but it looks like RLM 65 and a white tip are the way to go?

V-P

• Like 1

Rob, thank you very much, I am looking forward to getting the decals on too :D

Thanks Duncan, there was a space of several hours between the spraying of the first coat and masking for the second - four or five hours in fact - but yes, it was firm enough to mask after that time and I didn't have any lift when I removed the tape :) . As for the cockpit interior, mostly it is painted RLM02 because that is what the instructions called for, however in addition there is a picture of a gunner from one of the EprGr.210 aircraft taken from the wireless operator's seat looking aft which shows a pale coloured bulkhead behind him, which I took to be adequate confirmation for RLM02. I have noticed that in several pictures the interior canopy framing is visible and is very dark, so is probably RLM66 but whether that implies the entire interior is painted that colour is a debate I'd rather not get into :lol:

Max - thanks :)

Bob, clearly I misread your post, or rather read it 'in the wrong tone of voice' - as it happens I do have a reason for adding the bombs, as the last 110 I built was a fighter and for this one... well bombing was EprGr.210's business, so I wanted to differentiate between the two models as much as possible. As for the photo-etch, if it comes in the kit I will usually use it since I have paid for it :D but if I don't feel I can face it, I don't as I do usually have the canopy closed up anyway :lol:

V-P, as far as I can tell the bombs were painted all sorts of colours, black-green, dark green, RLM02, sky blue, grey... so take your pick really, I just found a picture with what looked to be pale blue bombs being loaded on a 110... as for the white tips, that seems to have been quite common but not universal by any means, I don't know what the purpose of it was but I thought it looked nice. I also painted the bombs in Humbrol 65 rather than the Phoenix Precision Paints RLM65 I am using on the underside of the aircraft, as I didn't want them to look too much like a part of the aircraft :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Stew, If I were doing a 110 of EprGr.210, I'd probably put bombs on, too, especially since I'd be "referring to" their bombing of the Supermarine factories in late September '40. Plus, as you say, it illustrates the fighter-bomber aspect of the aircraft's evolution.

I wouldn't be surprised if RLM66 was used on the canopy frames earlier than it was used "down in the hole", but I'm not basing that on actual knowledge.

I was really struck by the apparent "colour reversal" between these two photos! [Edit: for clarity, the first is after first top-colour sprayed, the second is after second colour sprayed, and the first colour went from looking "the darker one" to looking "the lighter one".]

DSCN1881.jpg

DSCN1901.jpg

Edited by gingerbob

Hey Bob, you are quite right, in fact the S9+HH was lost on the second raid of the day against the Supermarine factory at Woolston on 24 September.

My feeling is that the framing colour change pre-dates the cockpit colour change too, but like you I have nothing but a vague nebulous memory, or possibly just a gut feeling, to base that idea on :hmmm:

Cheers,

Stew

Stew it looks fab, I know what you mean about the Phoenix paints mine arrived and as soon as I opened the lid I fell in love they smell like enamels used too and seem thinner like they used to. Like old humbrols, it's a similar smell to the new Humbrol but there is a sweetness to the smell. I also see they still use lead chromate so hopefully they will be tough as they used to be too. Gorgeous paint and I've not even used it yet.

Might wear it for aftershave yet I'm so happy.

Love your paint on this one looks brill :)

• Like 1

Hey Rob, ah, perhaps that's why I like it, the heady tang of lead chromate in the morning :thumbsup: - I feel a bit guilty for my part in diverting you from the righteous path of acrylicness though :shrug: but not that bad... I hope you get on as well with them as I have.

I got the Klear-ing done first thing, having woken stupidly early again, and spent what seemed like most of the day applying stencil decals to the kit... all the decalling is done now, I won't post a picture because barring any dreadfulness I should be able to put up pictures of the finished model tomorrow :D

Just the varnishing and a bit of weathering to do first, what can go wrong? :huh:*

Cheers,

Stew

* Oh dear I hope that doesn't come back to bite me in the hinders later :unsure:

• Like 2

Hey Rob, ah, perhaps that's why I like it, the heady tang of lead chromate in the morning :thumbsup: - I feel a bit guilty for my part in diverting you from the righteous path of acrylicness though :shrug: but not that bad... I hope you get on as well with them as I have.

I got the Klear-ing done first thing, having woken stupidly early again, and spent what seemed like most of the day applying stencil decals to the kit... all the decalling is done now, I won't post a picture because barring any dreadfulness I should be able to put up pictures of the finished model tomorrow :D

Just the varnishing and a bit of weathering to do first, what can go wrong? :huh:*

Cheers,

Stew

* Oh dear I hope that doesn't come back to bite me in the hinders later :unsure:

Wel you have certainly reminded me how much I love enamels. I never used to use acylics I hates them at one time. That was because they are weak scratch off easy and I used to view them as childish as when I was a teenager watercolours were for babies and enamel was "proper mans paint" (wanting to grow up and all that now I wanna be younger again ...) I used to love enamels you could brush them and they would cover and stick to plastic no need for primer, then they took the lead chromate out and changed the formula, so the. I looked at acrylics and I did not know you had to prime them, as soon as a games workshop modeller pointed that out it opened a new world to me.

Now I want to take what I learned with acrylics and try enamels again as in the past their permanence was not as it used to be, with primer that should not be a problem.

I bought some new Humbrol enamels today and I am very pleased to see hu163 is now back to being a deep brownish green rather the insipid pale green of the last decade which just don't look right for modern green. Not sure it passes for ww2 but whatever good to see Humbrol getting back to what they was 20 years ago.

I must try wem too I like their dark shades and while I'm

At it might give xtracolour a try too. Nowt like diversity to make modelling more fun.

Your build is rather quick and rather good too. I have never built and Eduard kit but I really want to give one a go.

Cheers Rob :)

• Like 1

Bloody Hell,Turn me back for a nano-second,and Stews got another out of the gate,and down the home stretch! :)

I'm starting to think there must be more than one of him.....It's just not possible otherwise? :hmmm:

I have never built and Eduard kit but I really want to give one a go.

Well worth the price.....If you like La-7s or Hellcats their dual-combo kits are awesome. I've also enjoyed their Nieuport, but that's a weekend kit without all the bells & whistles. :coolio:

• Like 3

I'm starting to think there must be more than one of him.....It's just not possible otherwise? :hmmm:

Well worth the price.....If you like La-7s or Hellcats their dual-combo kits are awesome. I've also enjoyed their Nieuport, but that's a weekend kit without all the bells & whistles. :coolio:

I'll check them out I know you have good taste in kits and a great skill for finding good deals. The kit you recommended Steve of Precision Ice and Snow blew him away. He's not made it yet but he can't get over how many sprues it has and the detail level.

(I've not seen it yet) but I'm sure it's good

:)

I thought you were going to say, "because Max will get mad." But I see you're going to go and finish it anyway! Oh well, back to the cockpit minutiae on my Eduard...

Not mad Bob, jealous may be! I'm not even at home today nor most of tomorrow, and visitors over the weekend so I'll have to be sociable......what chance to indulge in modelling? :(

Max

• Like 1

The kit you recommended Steve of Precision Ice and Snow blew him away.

After I recommended it to Steve, I finally broke down and bought two of 'em myself.....They are quite literally the best AFV kit I have ever seen and they cost less than the equivalent model in 1/72 from Dragon, indeed they're only a quid or two dearer than Trumpeter's own 1/72 T-34s. Compared to those kits, the Eduard La-7s and Hellcats are pretty average TBH! :wicked:

But this is very much :offtopic: Sorry Stew! :blush:

• Like 1

Hey Bob... you read my subtext :lol: ... must not incur the wrath of Max...

Hi Carts... yes I know, sorry about that :D

Thanks Rob, I'm happy with it so far, and I hope you find the paint to be as good as the paint we had in the days of yore :clif:

Sarge, it's a fair cop, Nigel Heath, Duncan B, Col, Harry Lime and myself are all actually the same person, it gets lonely up here in the wilds of Aberdeenshire and I need something to keep ourselves sane.

BTW Rob and Sarge, I don't mind the OT - we are approaching the end now and it is a bit like the post-dinner scenario where we sit with cummerbunds loosened over cigars and coffee... - but at least tell us what this wunderkit is!

Max- sorry to hear you won't have the chance to do any modelling for a few days but it should at least sharpen your appetite for a return to the fray :hobbyhorse:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3