Stew Dapple's Eduard 1/72 Bf110D Profipack - EprGr.210, Boulogne-Ost, Sept 1940

I can almost feel the grass growing under my feet, so I would like to start my second build... :D

It's another one of these:

DSCN1778.jpg

I'll be finishing it in the markings of this aircraft from Eprobungsgruppe 210 (the middle one):

DSCN1781.jpg

...from the Authentic Decals sheet 72-40 for the Bf110D:

DSCN1780.jpg

I've bought the Quickboost exhausts to add to it as I was very impressed with them, and their ETC 500 bomb-rack... which actually doesn't look very different from that provided by Eduard, but I will use it anyway...

DSCN1784.jpg

... and it will be painted with Phoenix Precision Paints RLM65/71/02:

DSCN1787.jpg

So today I will be mostly assembling cockpit components and will hopefully get a coat of RLM02 on them before the day is out :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

Hi V-P, nice of you to drop in :D

Hi Max, no worries, I won't get it finished today :D

Houston, thank you very much :lol:

Duncan, make yourself comfy mate, nice to have you along :D

I started off by masking the canopy again, so I can get that out of the way and start enjoying myself... first the internal frame:

DSCN1791.jpg

... then using the supplied pre-cut mask for the external framing:

DSCN1793.jpg

Incidentally I got a 'free gift' from Eduard, an extra set of the etched parts; I will add those to my Weekend Edition of this kit; thank you Eduard :) :

DSCN1800.jpg

I built up most of the interior parts ready for painting:

DSCN1807.jpg

... and sprayed them with RLM02 along with the canopy frames which I stuffed inside with Blu-tak to prevent paint seepage:

DSCN1812.jpg

The eagle-eyed amongst you may have noticed that I put the spare cannon magazine rack on backwards; this has now been corrected :blush: - next will be the addition of the etched detail bits and the other interior parts :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

Hmmm, the sun shines on the righteous!

... or the devil looks after his own :devil:

Thank you gents, I've had another productive day; finished the interior:

DSCN1823.jpg

... closed up the fuselage halves, and assembled and test-fitted the wings:

DSCN1828.jpg

Before I knew it, I had glued them on :o ... and after applying a smear of filler at the wing-root, added the clear parts and tailplanes...

DSCN1832.jpg

I used the tailfins with the smaller trim-tabs; in John Vasco's book 'Messerschmitt BF 110 - Bombsights over England' there are three pictures of the S9+HH and one appears to show the earlier-style small trim-tabs. I will add the underwing radiator grilles and their housings shortly and then call it a day I think :)

Hopefully I can get some primer on it early tomorrow morning and perhaps follow up with the RLM65 in the afternoon... ^_^

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

I know, I know, I don't mean to show anyone up and I am sorry... but I've got some time on my hands at the moment and I want to make the most of it (and I am already quite bored with sitting around waiting) :boom: so just humour me, sooner or later I will run out of kits anyway :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Lightning fast building! I'd still be looking at the instructions and flicking through references at this point (note to self: must work faster). At this rate you'd have my entire 110 stash (7 various marks of Eduard 110 IIRC) complete in a fortnight.

Duncan B

Hi Duncan, actually you are not exaggerating by much, at my current rate I will be through my stash of 110's in a month :bye:

Houston, thank you - well threats work okay, but you should see how fast I would build for a bribe :wicked:

I got the primer on this morning (Xtracolor Gull Grey Primer, fact fans):

DSCN1838.jpg

While that was drying I set about some of the smaller sub-assemblies, and sprayed the propellers black-green:

DSCN1843.jpg

... having a bit left in the paint-cup, and remembering Ettore's impressive results here I thought I might try a little basic pre-shading:

DSCN1855.jpg

DSCN1857.jpg

... yes, it looks a bit pony :shit: - but it doesn't look too bad when the top-coat is applied:

DSCN1870.jpg

It's actually a bit more visible in real life, but no doubt it will re-appear in the 'finished' pictures.

So tomorrow, I hope to complete the propellers, build the bombs and undercarriage and spray the RLM02 upper camouflage... what? I can do that :whistle:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 4

Hi Max, topsides and undercart today, hopefully it will be a bit drier as yesterday's spraying was severely testing the efficacy of my compressor's water trap :huh:

Hi Sarge, yeah I know, it seems to be flying together even to me; I thought the first one was pretty quick but this one is going even faster... if this trend continues by the end of the year I may be able to build an Eduard 1/72 Bf110C/D Profipack in 25.2 seconds... :lol:

Anyway as indicated above today I hope to start on the topside camouflage. This aircraft is in the lighter RLM65/71/02 scheme and I am going to have to deviate from the Authentic Decals painting guide, as they show the older-style pattern with the RLM02 taking the place of the RLM71. Looking at some photographs from the time it is apparent that the RLM was overpainted on the black-green RLM70 portions of the camouflage pattern so the colours on the Authentic decals sheet appear to be transposed. I can't find a picture of the S9+HH where the upperwing area is visible, but its contemporaries the CH and the DH both indicate this.

So don't pull me up on it later :lol:

Right, roll on daybreak, and to work! :D

Cheers,

Stew

Hi Max, topsides and undercart today, hopefully it will be a bit drier as yesterday's spraying was severely testing the efficacy of my compressor's water trap :huh:

Hi Sarge, yeah I know, it seems to be flying together even to me; I thought the first one was pretty quick but this one is going even faster... if this trend continues by the end of the year I may be able to build an Eduard 1/72 Bf110C/D Profipack in 25.2 seconds... :lol:

Anyway as indicated above today I hope to start on the topside camouflage. This aircraft is in the lighter RLM65/71/02 scheme and I am going to have to deviate from the Authentic Decals painting guide, as they show the older-style pattern with the RLM02 taking the place of the RLM71. Looking at some photographs from the time it is apparent that the RLM was overpainted on the black-green RLM70 portions of the camouflage pattern so the colours on the Authentic decals sheet appear to be transposed. I can't find a picture of the S9+HH where the upperwing area is visible, but its contemporaries the CH and the DH both indicate this.

It

So don't pull me up on it later :lol:

Right, roll on daybreak, and to work! :D

Cheers,

Stew

Wow, you don't hang around! Are you going to build every variant of the 110 by the end of the GB? :D

Rob

Hi Rob,

Ha, no, I've only got two more 110 kits in the stash after this one, and I'm not all that interested in the mid- to later-war aircraft, so that ought to do me nicely :D

As an edit to my camouflage note above (and as proof that you should always keep an eye out for these things) in John Vasco's book 'Messerschmitt BF 110 - Bombsights over England' on pages 114/115 there is a double-spread photograph showing the S9+DH from the left-rear-quarter and it is clearly painted in the later-style camouflage pattern. As the DH was werk nr. 3378 and the aircraft I am depicting the S9+HH was werk nr. 3384 it is reasonable to assume that they both carried the same scheme... so that is what I will do :pipe:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1