Airfix 1/76 MK1 Male Tank

Hello all,

I'm calling this done (till i find a suitable base). Not remotely up to the standards on this forum but the best I could do with what I had. This is my first airbrushed kit and the first kit I've tried to weather with powders (Humbrol Weathering powders). While the construction was simple and straight forward (although I did make a mess of the rear steering wheels) the final stages were a nightmare lasting 3-4 months. The varnish meant most of the weathering was blown off and 'frosted', wrinkled and destroyed the paint. But it was finally fixed and finished (thanks to a bottle of Valejo Matt Varnish and a lot of patience). Here it is, the completed model:

DSCN0888_zps61aee6e8.jpg

DSCN0889_zps3133965a.jpg

DSCN0890_zpsf7671136.jpg

DSCN0891_zps58f8959b.jpg

and the missing paint, a reminder not to use humbrol varnish again:

DSCN0892_zps69c505dd.jpg

• Like 5

Really nicely done! I love the effect you ended up with- it looks seriously like that little fellow has seen some battles. Given how they copped it in the Somme, I reckon that's exactly how the surviving ones would have looked, right down to the encrusted mud on the tracks.

I've also had similar problems with Humbrol varnishes, so I feel your pain. I've had bad experiences with their powders and washes too. I tend to use MIG powders, and fix them in place either with enamel thinners or MIG's own pigment fixer. Touch wood I haven't had problems with these- yet!

It's a great little kit. My little vignette was nothing more than a small ply base boxed in by 1/2'' balsa and filled with pollyfilla and painted, weathered etc. Embedded the tank slightly then removed before the pollyfilla dried just to make it look like it's trudging through the mud. Cheap and cheerful