World has gone mad, sexism in space?

jetboy

hi,of all the stupid things in the world,? mmmmwell

seemingly theres a storm brewing over the shirt worn by a scientist on the comet landing crew,i actually though when i saw his interview pre-landing,its a crap shirt design,who am i to comment about bad taste,and he got tatooted as well,but hey ho....but this is mad,i cannot post a link etc too much swearing its on youtube though.

Captureshirt_zps80672497.png

mad,

don

It's a sign of the times.

Far more people were interested in Kim Kardigan's bum than they were in a man made probe landing on a comet 4 billion miles away after a 10 year trip.

I fear for the future of mankind....

• Like 2

Absolutely ridiculous, and to quote Stephen Fry...

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so f---ing what."

There does seem to be a niche that exists purely to try and make people feel bad about themselves, the fellows shirt was worth a few jokes and good amount of mockery but thats it. Very sorry state of affairs.

• Like 10

It was wrong, it was unprofessional; it sends a very negative message to women working in science about what their male colleagues really think about them behind their backs. The fact he was so upset when he realised what he had done shows, at least, that he could step up & recognise he HAD been wrong.

The real problem is that nobody thought to say to him "lose the shirt" before being broadcast to the world. Ten seconds of switched-on brain, & none of this happens.

• Like 6

I wouldn't worry about the women in science, they're doing just fine and are far too busy to be worrying about a shirt a chap wears. I know, I work with quite a few of them.

• Like 5

As a (former) woman in science, I am ashamed and offended by the rag writers who chose to focus on the shirt, probably because the rest of the announcement and its significance flew right over their pint-sized heads.

"I don't care that you landed a spacecraft on a comet"? Well, I don't care that you can pick a handbag to match your shoes, let's see you do something that will be remembered next week.

But in the meanwhile, please feel free to ruin the excitement and joy over the successful conclusion to several years of planning, over a matter of fashion.

Some people are but a fart in the universe.

• Like 13

...and in the same week we have one of the Cardassians (yes I know, that's what I call them because they are both horrible creatures) baring her naked behind on the front cover of whatever trash magazine is it and women are calling it empowering....go figure.

Edited by Brad

All I see is a cheap excuse to have a go at a male under the flimsy guise of protecting women's feelings, and not a care would be given if the shoe was on the other foot.

• Like 1

it sends a very negative message to women working in science about what their male colleagues really think about them behind their backs..

Sorry Dave but I think that's nonsense. All it says it that this guy has questionable taste in clothes. The only "negative" attitude belongs to those that choose to be offended because it suits their agenda to do so. You don't know what he thinks about his female colleagues any more than I do. Your comment is mere supposition.

This is political correctness gone daft. I wonder if anyone would have made a fuss if a female scientist had worn a "sexist" shirt featuring semi nude /nude men?

I have a couple of t-shirts with a Saltire design on them. I was wearing one in a Carlisle pub recently. I was told to my face by a couple of people that they found it "offensive". Once I had stopped choking on my beer and laughing at them, I sought an explanation for their comment. None was forthcoming. They just found it "offensive" . Was it insulting to the English?? People will be offended by anything if it suits their personal agenda. This is a complete non story.

What next? An male aid worker tending to the injured in a war zone is lambasted by the PC brigade for an "inappropriate and sexist" t shirt rather than being commended for his efforts?

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 6

It was wrong, it was unprofessional; it sends a very negative message to women working in science about what their male colleagues really think about them behind their backs. The fact he was so upset when he realised what he had done shows, at least, that he could step up & recognise he HAD been wrong.

The real problem is that nobody thought to say to him "lose the shirt" before being broadcast to the world. Ten seconds of switched-on brain, & none of this happens.

And what about all those WW2 aircrew with all those scantily clad ladies on their aircraft! How sexist, how demeaning. How wrong! Somebody should have told them that they were being "unprofessional".

• Like 2

surely it's about brilliant minds and a fabulous achievement, not what somebody is wearing???

as said above many times, too many people going out of their way to be offended - mindless idiots who, I suspect, have achieved little or nothing in their lives

and Albeback52, as a proud Englishman, I say keep wearing your Saltire with pride

SD

• Like 3

And what about all those WW2 aircrew with all those scantily clad ladies on their aircraft! How sexist, how demeaning. How wrong! Somebody should have told them that they were being "unprofessional".

Could we be through the looking glass at a crackdown on manufacturers who supply "inappropriate and offensive" decals with their aircraft kits? Seriously - the sort of individuals who enjoy generating such a tempest-in-a-teacup are always on the look out for a fresh target.

• Like 1

surely it's about brilliant minds and a fabulous achievement, not what somebody is wearing???

as said above many times, too many people going out of their way to be offended - mindless idiots who, I suspect, have achieved little or nothing in their lives

and Albeback52, as a proud Englishman, I say keep wearing your Saltire with pride

SD

:lol: Don't worry! I will! Sadly, it wasn't the first time it happened to me and I have been subject to some fairly unpleasant verbal abuse in recent years because of my nationality. Although I refuse to be bothered, that sort of behaviour in our own country is surely far more serious issue than a scientist wearing what was actually a truly crap shirt that not even I would be seen dead in!!

Allan

• Like 2

Sorry Dave but I think that's nonsense. All it says it that this guy has questionable taste in clothes. The only "negative" attitude belongs to those that choose to be offended because it suits their agenda to do so. You don't know what he thinks about his female colleagues any more than I do. Your comment is mere supposition.

This is political correctness gone daft. I wonder if anyone would have made a fuss if a female scientist had worn a "sexist" shirt featuring semi nude /nude men?

I have a couple of t-shirts with a Saltire design on them. I was wearing one in a Carlisle pub recently. I was told to my face by a couple of people that they found it "offensive". Once I had stopped choking on my beer and laughing at them, I sought an explanation for their comment. None was forthcoming. They just found it "offensive" . Was it insulting to the English?? People will be offended by anything if it suits their personal agenda. This is a complete non story.

What next? An male aid worker tending to the injured in a war zone is lambasted by the PC brigade for an "inappropriate and sexist" t shirt rather than being commended for his efforts?

Allan

hi,maybe should of apologised for being in a pub in carlisle,odd place to be?lol

and it was a crap shirt,as i said when i saw it..lol,and the tattoo was,nt much better,lol so it must be correct the cleverer you are,the worse your taste...lol

don

i would of got a better tattoo than that.no detail for a start,,,