KV-2 and Elefant Diorama possibilities

modelglue

I am looking for any known scenarios where a KV-2 and an Elephant would have been either engaged in combat or working alongside one another in a captured Russian armour event. The Germans used KV tanks in proposals and plans and the 1/72 Trumpeter example I have even has German markings.

I would like to produce a diorama incorporating the two 1/72 kits I have of the Elefant and KV-2, it seems probable they met in combat as the panzer was one of the few which could tackle the KV's armour.

Does anyone have any ideas about what sort of area or battle these two would have been seen in?

The Elefant was first used at Kursk where the KV2 would have not being withdrawn from front line service after being mauled in early battles of 41/42

The only scenario where you may have seen both may have being a show of captured armour or a gunnery display

• Like 1

Anti partisan for the KV2 and the Elefant passing by???

Kv2 used as a target ?

D

I'm glad you stopped by, that is total news to me. I read up a bit on wiki and seeing as I knew nothing of Anti-partisan operations that was an eye opener of possibilities.

I suppose given the operational time frame disparity between the two, the Elefant passing by scenario seems the most likely and constructable.

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

Borrowed word for word from a previous post of mine:

"The last KV 2 to see combat was in 1945 when it was used in defense of the Krupp plant in Essen against advancing American forces."

With that in mind, maybe you could find out what other German forces were involved in that action/area and what equipment they had. Bit of an "industrial area last ditch effort" diorama.

• Like 1

Thanks for that Crayons, too bad I didn't come across it on my own. Seems like there are a few more possibilities here than I had initially thought! Maybe a return trip to the discount shelf where I got the KV 2 is in order. I will have to do some reading first.

Found this in good old Wiki

"KV-2 (334) – A heavy assault tank with the M-10 152 mm howitzer, the KV-2 was produced at the same time as the KV-1. Due to the size of its heavy turret and gun, the KV-2 was slower and had a much higher profile than the KV-1. Those captured and used by the German Army were known as (Sturm)Panzer kampfwagen KV-II 754® and often used for artillery observation due to its height."

So you could maybe have one as an Obeservation post and directing an Elephant tank? (one of those shrug shoulder moments :) )

• Like 1

Found this in good old Wiki

"KV-2 (334) – A heavy assault tank with the M-10 152 mm howitzer, the KV-2 was produced at the same time as the KV-1. Due to the size of its heavy turret and gun, the KV-2 was slower and had a much higher profile than the KV-1. Those captured and used by the German Army were known as (Sturm)Panzer kampfwagen KV-II 754® and often used for artillery observation due to its height."

So you could maybe have one as an Obeservation post and directing an Elephant tank? (one of those shrug shoulder moments :) )

"artillery observation" essentially means, that they would use the heavy armour of the KV 2 to rumble to within visual observation range of X target whilst indirect artillery dropped shells, then using radio, the KV 2 spotters would relay adjustment co-ordinates to the artillery, which more than likely would be 3+km away. The 88mm on the Elephant 'could' be used as artillery but if it was alongside a friendly KV 2, the KV 2 would be better for artillery mode and the Elephant being the spotter given the better optics on the Elephant.

The Elefant was first used at Kursk where the KV2 would have not being withdrawn from front line service after being mauled in early battles of 41/42

The only scenario where you may have seen both may have being a show of captured armour or a gunnery display

Just a point of correction - at Kursk they were Ferdinands & renamed by Hitler as Elefants after that battle. The bow MG was added post Kursk after their vulnerability to infantry attack was revealed.

• Like 1