Revell 1/32 Harrier GR1 AM ? XV278 Info Kestrel or GR1 or Other..

robvulcan

Hi all. even though I have plenty of Harriers on the stash and just finished a 48th GR3. I happened upon the Revell 1/32 Harrier GR1.

and I could not resist as this seems a great size for the Harrier.

I wondered if there has ever been any aftermarket parts or decals made for this. Or if anyone has any tips for the build.

I can see she represents the Early Harrier GR1 with Kestrel style fairings on the front thrusters and Kestrel style intakes.

I recently discovered this type referred to as P1127 (RAF) which was apparently an early version of the GR1 which was more similar to the Kestrel is this true ?

I noticed this recently on the Harrier XV278 which I looked at and thought , Hmm looks odd somehow then noticed there are a lot of differences to the normal GR1 especially around the intakes and forward thruster fairings.

RAF_HARRIER_XV278_AT_THE_LUFTWAFFEN_MUSE

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:RAF_HARRIER_XV278_AT_THE_LUFTWAFFEN_MUSEUM_RAF_GATOW_BERLIN_GERMANY_JUNE_2013_%289130940500%29.jpg

So what is this, Is it a normal GR1 , Don't look like it to me, Looks more like a Kestrel in the nose area. I'm not sure. The cockpit frame looks more slight too.

Info on the Kit and this type of Harrier very much welcome

Cheers Rob :)

This photo from Wikipedia seems to looks squashed in the post so if you click it you can see it in its proper dimensions. The nose looks like it sits different to a GR1 as the intakes seem less pronounced for some reason.

Rob,

IIRC, The P 1127 was the last aircraft to carry the Hawker label.

And was a development aircraft for the VTOL concept.

Four years later came the Kestrel. Nine aircraft ordered in 1962.

An agreement being made between the UK, Germany & the USA.

One of them famously crashed at the Paris air show in 1963.

The Kestrel was what we would now call a proof of concept vehicle.

I found a page from Scale Aircraft Modeller, Feb 2009 which shows

a drawing of XV278 to be a GR 1 in dark green & light aircraft grey.

It looks pretty close to your picture.

Regards

Pete

• Like 1

XV278 was one of a batch of 6 pre-production Harriers hand built for trials at Dunsfold by HS - they were initially fitted with Kestral type forward intakes and exhaust nozzles (6 vanes) but later some were refitted with standard Harrier 3-vane exhaust nozzles. They were used for lots of trials and appeared with various tail cones and in the case of XV277 a different nose cone linked to the Martel missile trials.

A very good reference is AIRfile 'First Generation Harrier' by Glenn Ashley, ISBN 978-0-9569802-6-7 which has some good colour profiles of these early Harriers.

• Like 3

This model pre-dates 'After Market" I'm afraid! The kit "represents one of the GRMk1 Development Batch ("DB") serials from: XV276-281(6 IN TOTAL). Its big enough and bulky enough as a model to withstand a lot of bashing, for thats what it needs! I started 'updating' one a long long time ago, and then decided to convert it further to a Sea harrier - this was before John's vacform conversion - so that tells you how long ago that was!!!(its in the 'to-do' pile somewhere!)

To update you will need to change the nozzle fairings - Milliput will help there! Deepen and define the rear lower fin area, scratch build a new cockpit and probably re-scribe. I think that the kit is overall decently proportioned, so thats a start.

Still.... proper modelling that lot is..proper modelling!

• Like 3

Or build it as one of the first 5 DB aircraft (the 6th had the proper intakes) - XV278 above was used as a ground instruction airframe at Gutersoh before going to the museum. XV279 is at Wittering, and XV277 is at East Fortune (but was updated to production intakes)

Some pics:

http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1038618/

http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1038620/

Edited by Dave Fleming

Rob,

IIRC, The P 1127 was the last aircraft to carry the Hawker label.

And was a development aircraft for the VTOL concept.

Four years later came the Kestrel. Nine aircraft ordered in 1962.

An agreement being made between the UK, Germany & the USA.

One of them famously crashed at the Paris air show in 1963.

The Kestrel was what we would now call a proof of concept vehicle.

I found a page from Scale Aircraft Modeller, Feb 2009 which shows

a drawing of XV278 to be a GR 1 in dark green & light aircraft grey.

It looks pretty close to your picture.

Regards

Pete

Cheers Pete, I will hunt a copy down on ebay. :)

XV278 was one of a batch of 6 pre-production Harriers hand built for trials at Dunsfold by HS - they were initially fitted with Kestral type forward intakes and exhaust nozzles (6 vanes) but later some were refitted with standard Harrier 3-vane exhaust nozzles. They were used for lots of trials and appeared with various tail cones and in the case of XV277 a different nose cone linked to the Martel missile trials.

A very good reference is AIRfile 'First Generation Harrier' by Glenn Ashley, ISBN 978-0-9569802-6-7 which has some good colour profiles of these early Harriers.

Cheers for the info I thought it must be something along those lines. I wonder if she actually flew in wrap around, Or if this was added later.

I might well model her as in the Picture. Cheers Rob :)

Tigger models do vacform parts to build a Sea Harrier or a twin seater.

That sounds interesting, I think I will stay with GR1 however, But I could be tempted by a 2 seater.. :)

This model pre-dates 'After Market" I'm afraid! The kit "represents one of the GRMk1 Development Batch ("DB") serials from: XV276-281(6 IN TOTAL). Its big enough and bulky enough as a model to withstand a lot of bashing, for thats what it needs! I started 'updating' one a long long time ago, and then decided to convert it further to a Sea harrier - this was before John's vacform conversion - so that tells you how long ago that was!!!(its in the 'to-do' pile somewhere!)

To update you will need to change the nozzle fairings - Milliput will help there! Deepen and define the rear lower fin area, scratch build a new cockpit and probably re-scribe. I think that the kit is overall decently proportioned, so thats a start.

Still.... proper modelling that lot is..proper modelling!

Cheers Bill, I am not surprised it pre-dates AM but I would not know. I do know that the Nostalgia of the old box, Chunky kit in green plastic got the better of me though.

Its interesting that the kit seems to represent this Development batch of 6, Something I never knew about harriers, I thought from the Kestrel it went straight to the GR1, I guess this is a GR1 however.

I am sure I will be in for fun regarding the Pit I wonder if there is anything I can used to help me such as parts from Eduard maybe. (Still need to actually try some of their stuff)

The shape does look nice and the idea of a 1/32 Harrier seems right to me, Not too big or small. Not sure which area you mean when you say deepen the lower fin area, I will give it a good eyeballing when it arrives.

Or build it as one of the first 5 DB aircraft (the 6th had the proper intakes) - XV278 above was used as a ground instruction airframe at Gutersoh before going to the museum. XV279 is at Wittering, and XV277 is at East Fortune (but was updated to production intakes)

Some pics:

http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1038618/

http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1038620/

Cheers Dave I will hunt down as many photos of all of them as possible and choose an airframe and scheme that appeals, I cant decide Wrap around or early LAG belly scheme, The latter for me is the Classic Scheme for a GR1 but the Wrap around appeals too.

I wonder if they flew in the wraparound, For some reason I am guessing not.

Just found this fab documentary with some stunning footage, Particularly the FRS1 display at the end.

Rob :)

All the photos I've seen of the 1127(RAF) aircraft are in either natural metal or three colour camouflage. Think wraparound came in long after these birds were grounded. If you want something a little different there was one used to test the GR.3 LRMTS style nose ;)

• Like 1

All the photos I've seen of the 1127(RAF) aircraft are in either natural metal or three colour camouflage. Think wraparound came in long after these birds were grounded. If you want something a little different there was one used to test the GR.3 LRMTS style nose ;)

Sounds interesting, I would like to see photos. However much as I love the GR3 I have plenty so far and I love the GR1 sleek look but dont have any in my collection.

:)

There is this one in Cosford. Standard short nose Kestrel with a laser behind 'eyelids'.

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/research/collections/hawker-siddeley-kestrel-fga-1/

• Like 1

There is this one in Cosford. Standard short nose Kestrel with a laser behind 'eyelids'.

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/research/collections/hawker-siddeley-kestrel-fga-1/

I have seen that one, Nice thing to look at.

I don't know if the following is right but I learned from a documentary that the original P1127, Kestrel and Harrier GR1 where totally different aircraft with 100% unique components betwean all 3 designs, Thats why this one intrigued me as it was again seeming to be a different type which I now am informed by people here there were 6 of this variant the "P1127 (RAF)".

Harriers I love em. So many types to model, and all of them wonderful

:)

I think what you have in that phot is a dormant Transformer. You know the type of thing that wakes up when Albion is in peril, like King Arthur, CSGT Bourne and Captain Mainwairing. Yeah it does look a bit hybrid at first glance