Airfix Bristol Blenheim IV - the old one

PietB

So, this is my first input since I joined this forum a few weeks ago.

Probably some of you will be bored by another Blenheim building report - especialy the 40+ year old airfix model.
However building this kit will hopefully be an important step to improve my skills.

As usual I started with interieur details. Actualy I planned to add some details to the cockpit to make it look more interesting. But in the end I build up a totaly new cockpit section, using only some fragments of the kits parts.

Pictures will follow ...

Edited by PietB
  • Like 1

I did the same kit last year, just before they told us a new kit was coming out, damn typical lol. Hope my thread might be of some use as some of the things to look out for along the way such as the humps and upper engine fairings...

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234948033-bristol-blenheim-twin-build-frog-airfix-finished/page-1

Look forwards to seeing more :)

• 3 years later...

Great to see this back on the go! Note to self: Stop looking at that kit on the shelf above the work bench!

Martian

• 2 weeks later...

some progress from the past ...

engines and props:

39536491720_7c31e9a184_c.jpg

wheels: the tailwheel is a semi-scartch build

39536492030_473785e9bd_c.jpg

fuselage and wings went together:

39536491450_a9ae1269dd_c.jpg

Edited by PietB
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

You are doing a lovely job Piet on this old Airfix classic kit. I love to see this old - fashioned approach to modelling, your scratchbuilt interior is superb.

I built two of these back in 1972, one for me and one for my friend. They were always available in Woolworths department stores back then.

I enjoy seeing these old kits being built well with imagination, skill and determination ............  like yours.

adey

Edited by adey m

On 10.4.2018 at 9:02 AM, adey m said:

You are doing a lovely job Piet on this old Airfix classic kit. I love to see this old - fashioned approach to modelling, your scratchbuilt interior is superb.

I built two of these back in 1972, one for me and one for my friend. They were always available in Woolworths department stores back then.

I enjoy seeing these old kits being built well with imagination, skill and determination ............  like yours.

adey

Thanks and sorry to tax your patience Adey.

I started this build 3+ years ago - at the moment RFI is planned to happen early in 2020 :huh: hope you dont mind.

Maybe I can accelerate by following Martians advise not to look at any other kits - a real challenge and I do not promise anything ...

At the moment I prepare the cockpit to be closed by the squadron canopy and there is one issue still unsolved.

I sratchbuild a stool for the navigator but I'm unsure whether my approach is somewhat realistic:

39536491810_35785b494a.jpg

Edited by PietB
typing errors
  • Like 1

The stool itself looks fine but as I recall it was fitted to a bracket on the starboard side of the fuselage.

Martian

18 hours ago, PietB said:

Thanks and sorry to tax your patience Adey.

I started this build 3+ years ago - at the moment RFI is planned to happen early in 2020 :huh: hope you dont mind.

Maybe I can accelerate by following Martians advise not to look at any other kits - a real challenge and I do not promise anything ...

At the moment I prepare the cockpit to be closed by the squadron canopy and there is one issue still unsolved.

I sratchbuild a stool for the navigator but I'm unsure whether my approach is somewhat realistic:

39536491810_35785b494a.jpg

No problem Piet, most of my builds on BM are from some time ago too. Your project sounds like the building of a real  Blenheim at Duxford  ............. due to fly in 2020..........

For a moment I thought you were getting visited in the night by those space men who put thoughts of not looking at any more models into your mind  .................. I keep thinking that there cannot possibly be anything else that I would want to build  and then Special Hobby or Azur or Valom go and bring out something new that I cannot resist that I had not considered before  .....................  sigh

regards,  adey

Edited by adey m

• 8 months later...

little update to this never ending story ...

I've started to fit the squadron canopy - a real nightmare. More details will follow later.

And the stool has been changed 🤤 Thx to Martian:

46424886432_8004695b11_z.jpg

31536061677_028d373528_z.jpg

• Like 1