Munich Crisis biplane lower wings question

Procopius

So did the RAF biplanes hastily camouflaged in 1938 have the "shadow shading" or whatever it was on the lower wings? What colours would those have been, if so? Also, does anyone make acrylic colours of them?

Can't give you a definite answer to that but if it was a rush job it may have been just a case of slapping some dark green and dark earth on. I read in a magazine in 1988, I think it was The RAF Yearbook or something similar that there were some cases of mud being applied to upper surfaces.

I'm sure someone will provide you with precise FS colours and ratios of colour mix but the above would be a decent starter for ten.

There are loads of acrylics of those colours on the market. One of my favourite is Citadel 'Graveyard Earth.' Brushes and sprays really well

According to James Goulding in the "Camouflage & Markings" pub on the Gladiator, Gauntlet, Fury, & Demon,

"By the summer of 1938 the war clouds were gathering in Europe, and by August and September the Munich Crisis engaged all the countries of the Continent. …plans made earlier during 1936 by the Air Staff regarding war emergency paint schemes were put into effect… all operational biplane fighters were given a camouflage scheme of Dark Green and Dark Earth in two patterns - Scheme A, and its mirror image, Scheme B."

Later it goes on to say,

"…during 1939 the Royal Aircraft Establishment (R.A.E.) at Farnborough, Hants., devised a special form of camouflage scheme; a much more complicated and intricate patterning involving the use of four upper surface colours."

So, it seems that if you want to portray an aircraft during the Munich Crisis of 1938 you would go with a two-colour (DE/DG) scheme, as apparently the four-colour scheme wouldn't appear until a while later.

• Like 2

Sorry, but not true; shadow shading was introduced in January 1935 (at least,) so would have been well established by the Munich crisis.

PICT0136_zpsb2cd6404.jpg

Note the date in the bottom right-hand corner.

Edited by Edgar

Can't give you a definite answer to that but if it was a rush job it may have been just a case of slapping some dark green and dark earth on. I read in a magazine in 1988, I think it was The RAF Yearbook or something similar that there were some cases of mud being applied to upper surfaces.

I'm sure someone will provide you with precise FS colours and ratios of colour mix but the above would be a decent starter for ten.

There are loads of acrylics of those colours on the market. One of my favourite is Citadel 'Graveyard Earth.' Brushes and sprays really well

They wouldn't be FS colour matches, Surprisingly the British (or Americans) didn't use US Postwar standards pre war!

Selwyn

Sorry, but not true; shadow shading was introduced in January 1935 (at least,) so would have been well established by the Munich crisis.

PICT0136_zpsb2cd6404.jpg

Just out of interest Edgar- what does the handwritten note on that dope scheme tell us, anything interesting or significant?

Will

I don't dispute the existence of this scheme at that early date, Edgar. But I would propose that while it may have been developed then, it was not introduced until later. While the newer "Expansion Scheme" types such as the Hurricane were coming off the assembly line in camouflage, the biplane fighters were left in their aluminum finish with colourful squadron markings (until Munich). I have read in a couple places that the RAE, having developed the "shadow shading' scheme as your document shows, tried it experimentally on one Gladiator in 1936.

Just out of interest Edgar- what does the handwritten note on that dope scheme tell us, anything interesting or significant?

"Break the straight lines on stbd side & port side. Spinner - light green. Vertical surface of nose - light green. Green struts should be light. Another view from stbd bow (I think - it's very indistinct) Light green on top of fuselage under centre section."

I don't dispute the existence of this scheme at that early date, Edgar. But I would propose that while it may have been developed then, it was not introduced until later. While the newer "Expansion Scheme" types such as the Hurricane were coming off the assembly line in camouflage, the biplane fighters were left in their aluminum finish with colourful squadron markings (until Munich). I have read in a couple places that the RAE, having developed the "shadow shading' scheme as your document shows, tried it experimentally on one Gladiator in 1936.

RAE's own documentation on the development of RAF camouflage makes it clear that they were first asked to consider camouflage schemes in 1933 and that the basic Dark Green and Dark Earth with shadow shading principles were applied soon afterwards. After experimental trials at RAE further trials aircraft were camouflaged for use in the Army manoeuvres of September 1934. Further service trials were then conducted by army co-op and fighter squadrons. As a result the scheme was "generally" adopted for service and from 1934 to 1939 detailed schemes applying the principles to specific types of aircraft were prepared.

So the two stages in the introduction of the scheme were the development of the basic colours and patterns, then the preparation of application patterns for specific aircraft types. Since the trials and development began in 1933-34 the "one Gladiator" in 1936 was probably related to the second stage activity.

Flight magazine documented the RAF decision to formally introduce the scheme for medium bombers, heavy bombers and army co-op aircraft in April, 1937 with schematics showing the A and B patterns for single and twin-engined medium bombers and heavy bombers. It is clear from the article that at that stage fighters were not included. In the article the term "shadow shading" is used to describe the scheme as a whole.

That was more than a year before Munich so it seems unlikely that the subsequent application of camouflage to fighters resorted to expedient or ad hoc colours and patterns rather than those already being established. That conclusion is reinforced by a further Flight article on the introduction of the Hurricane and Spitfire in October 1938 that refers to both machines being camouflaged "in accordance with current Air Ministry practice".

The relevant Flight articles can be viewed here by typing 'RAF camouflage' into the search box:-

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/index.html

• Like 3

Here are a few interesting photos I came across which may help:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8270787@N07/9737831400/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8270787@N07/8665161030/

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/382/Roundel-Round-Up.aspx(scroll down to the "Type B Roundel" section - the Battle photo with the Gladiators in the background)