IdolM@ster Typhoon; Here We Go Again! Finished!

georgeusa

That is probably what I will end up doing, just putting them on where I see fit and playing. I still am not real happy with how the bottom looks on this kit. The layout was not as good as the other two IdolM@ster kits I have done. It may be because the other kits were 1/48 and this is 1/72 and compromises had to be made; but it doesn't make me less unhappy.

Sit it on a bed of cotton wool and pretend it's flying through a cloud!

• Like 2

The first one of my Idolmaster kits was an Idolmaster 2 kit. They must have gotten a lot of complaints about the instructions for the decals on the initial Idolmaster releases. the instructions are much much better on the Idolmaster 2 kits because they actually color code the numbers for the decals and give a color installation order. IE: put all the Blue numbers, then Orange, then green, etc. This is so much easier because of the layered effect so you don't have to do so much detective work.

On mine, the white trim decals had words and designs on them that are intended to appear as though you are seeing the layers underneath the white. If you look near the wingtip on this photo you can see the words "Touch & Go! Yeah!!" it's part of the entire white stripe decal. I was going to paint the white lines but thought I couldn't because of stuff like that.

20141201_211402.jpg

If I read Japanese I could have seen that they did include those words and designs as completely separate decals for use if you wanted to paint the lines... I say that so that if you were inclined to build another one and did not want to fight with those big white trim decals you could still achieve the correct look by masking and painting instead.

• Like 3

I must have only first series kits. None of my instructions have the color code sections. And, I don't think any of the white borders have words imbedded in them. Thanks for the tips.

• 2 weeks later...

Small update. I had good intentions, really, but stuff came up. I had every intention of finishing this kit this past weekend. But, in my defense, a quick jaunt to the emergency room with SWMBO was necessary. So modeling got kicked to the side, albeit rightly so. The only thing left remaining on this kit is the undercarriage, installing the seat, sealing the canopy, finishing the weapons load out, attaching the nose cone and all the other miscellaneous pokey things that are left ‘till the last so I don’t break them off so many times. I sanded and painted the two types of large missiles, the Storm Shadow and Taurus. After I painted them, I realized I hadn’t put the tail fins on them yet. So back to construction they go and then a repainting.

I painted the wheels (always a joy; I don’t know why they cause me so much stress).

wheelspainted.jpg

Then I started working on the end of the wing attachment pods. My first question is why am I attaching a part this small to the kit?

smallthing1.jpg

But, I dutifully placed them on the wing pods.

smallthing2.jpg

smallthing3.jpg

Now, doesn’t that make all the world of difference in those parts? Is there anybody that will look at this model once finished and marvel at these pieces (there were 4) being placed on the pods and comment on how these 4 miniscule parts really complete the kit? Why do we hurt ourselves so?

I then moved on to installing the seat in the cockpit and that was painless.

seatinstalled.jpg

I was about to start constructing the undercarriage, but the emergency room trip called. (SWMBO is fine now and will be back to her full strength of shaking her head at me as I build small plastic objects.) So, hopefully, this will be finished during the Christmas downtime and before the end of the year. As always, all comments are welcome.

• Like 3

Then I started working on the end of the wing attachment pods. My first question is why am I attaching a part this small to the kit?

smallthing1.jpg

To show solidarity with Nigel and show that this insanity is widespread, not isolated.

BTW good to hear SWMBO is on the mend, no doubt shortly to be horsey prancing as is her wont.

Anil

• Like 1

But, in my defense, a quick jaunt to the emergency room with SWMBO was necessary

I do hope SWMBO is well on the mend. Was it one of your mental horses again? The painting of the wheels looks good to me.

We have had a tragedy here in Scotland today, so sad to hear of it.

No, she had a cyst develop that had to be drained and she will be checking in to the hospital for day surgery tomorrow to fix it, hopefully permanently. I guess Christmas duties will now fall onto me. Looks like Chinese takeout!!

Is it the bus accident that you referred to?

• Like 1

I did see that post, but have not looked into it more. It is devastating and you have to feel for the families involved. Just a shame. I was also saddened by Joe Cocker's passing and his losing his battle to cancer. I listened to "Mad Dogs and Englishmen" all day long.

I'm still busy trying to clear the shelf of doom. I recently posted two more builds. And now back to Nigel and his very superior detail work on a 1/32 kit he keeps trying to convince us is only 1/72.

• Like 1

Final update. Instead of waiting up for Santa Claus, I decided I would use the downtime to finish this little beast. SWMBO is resting after her surgery on Tuesday. (It has been an eventful week to say the least) The kids are at the grandparents. And, I have time to myself. All the very time consuming and what seems like a never ending chore of little bits and pieces to put together to finish this kit was done. The undercarriage and doors had to be completed and put on; the weapons pylon and weapons had to be finished, decaled and put on, the canopy had to be attached; the wing pods needed to be affixed; and there were some miscellaneous bits and finishing pieces that needed to be attached. So, Makoto Kikuchi’s IdolM@ster Typhoon is now complete.

finish1.jpg

finish2.jpg

finish3.jpg

finish4.jpg

finish5.jpg

finish6.jpg

Maybe sometime tomorrow if I have the time I can take it outside and get some shots in better light. As always, all comments are welcome. It will be Christmas in about 30 minutes. I hope everyone’s Christmas, or holiday of choice, is wonderful, glorious and meaningful. And, I wish everyone all the best for the upcoming year and hope your modeling wishes and goals are met beyond your wildest imagination.

• Like 6

That looks great George,well done,and the icing on the cake was those little fiddly bits that sets of the model nicely,Lol!

Best wishes to you and her indoors,lets hope for a speedy recovery after her op.You will know when she's better,the nagging starts again lol!

Dave.

• Like 1

glad to hear swmbo's sage and sound - Merry Xmas George!

*edited* - didn't have my eyes in this morning - I meant safe and sound, I assumed that she'd be sagacious anyway

Edited by hendie
  • Like 1