He111 H2 and H6 differences

Algie75

With Airfix announcing a new He111 I thought I'd get my Revell/Hasegawa H6 built. I want to make an H2 as shown on an Xtradecal sheet.

What are the key differences between the two marks, are there any major external differences which would make this difficult?

Thanks in advance

Leighton

I had a look at this for my Airfix H-1 backdate, and I found the Kagero book very useful. So:

What Graham said, plus the spinners are a bit shorter front to back, the dorsal cover does not have any "lobster back" cover at the rear, and there may be differences in rear-firing gun installations in the tail. I think the gondola varied an awful lot (it may or may not have the three side windows) so I would look for pictures. However, once you get into the detail, you start to wonder how accurate the picture descriptions are...

Look forward to seeing an in progress thread!

Regards,

Adrian

The shape of the cowling appears closer to the P than the H-6, it is more rounded. The H-6 cowl appears a bit "chunkier", after all it had a bigger engine.

As a result the spinner was larger and less pointed.

The intake on the right side of the cowling was quite short with the area in front of the intake a trough.

The intake on top of the cowling is much smaller and lower. It is part of ther rear of the cowling and does not stand proud as a scoop.

The exhaust was a straight pipe, and the shape of the cowling and exhauts are where it met the leading edge of the wing was quite different ferom the H-6

No rear-firing MG.

The H-2 had five lower fusewlage windows above the ventral position and three in the ventral position. Some pctures show the windows in the ventral position paintted or covered.

Basically, need to rebuild the entire engine cowling.

Edited by Steven Eisenman

Steven, I'm surprised that the Jumo 211F was physically wider/taller than the Jumo 211D (excluding accessories), as this implies a major redesign that would have led too a new designation (akin to the DB601-605, perhaps?) However MMP's Stuka book does describe the Jumo 211F as being 404mm longer, which may at least partially come from a changed supercharger design - this is the only explanation I've ever seen for the Ju 87D version's greater length.

Another point worth noting is that the H-4 and later variants had external store carriers, so don't fit these.

Most references quote the nose gun position in the gondola being introduced on the H-3, and later modified on the H-6, but it is absent on at least some examples of the H-3 (eg the Romanian ones). Certainly beware of the photo captions, but sometimes the texts cannot be relied upon either.

Edited by Graham Boak

I understand that the F was a redesign, with changed supercharger design.

I believe the H-3 could be fitted with ETC in the belly. I actually have a picture of a P model with what appears to be an external ETC, so retro to an H-2 would be likely.

As for the forward ventral gun, this is subject to confusion. I've seen a reference say introduced on the H-6! But it may have been a retrofit to earlier model. I have a picture of what appears to be a H-2 or -3 with a foward ventral gun.

Edited by Steven Eisenman

The A-Stand of the H-6 (at least most in this fashion are described as H-6s) was strenghtened to take the MG FF, it appears to be slightly shorter and less domed as the original Ikaria swivelling A-Stand.

It was a totally different design for the 20mm. Shape and structure. It was shallower, for one thing.