Spitfire in a Halifax

Pete in Lincs

Hyperscale.com, Currently page 2 on Plane Talking

Look for this thread

Some unusual RAF subject matter (well for me anyway) - Greg Taylor on Nov 12

Some nice WW2 pictures including one of a Halifax modified to carry Spitfire fuselages.

I've never seen this before. I Imagine not many have?

Enjoy

Pete

My computer failed to copy the link, Maybe someone else can try.

• Like 1

Would it be safe to say that the Seafires in the last shot are in TSS? If so, the colourisation seems to have increased the contrast between the two colours on the aircraft nearest us hugely as compared to the ones behind! Also, what kind of pattern has been applied to the nearest aircraft, it doesn't look like a standard scheme?

DC

The scheme on the nearest aircraft seems to be a variation on the standard one as the fuselage looks almost standard to me while the wing is not completely. However if the picture is colorized I wonder if whoever did this job did it properly....

For the same reason, I'd not attempt any discussion on the scheme, although the contrast is quite high for TSS and looks more what can be seen on DFS painted aircrafts....

There has been some discussion in the past regarding the presence of DFS on Seafires, based on the interpretation of photos, but no evidence has been found in Westland records. There is at times considerable difference between Seafires in the same photograph, but the same is also true of Sea Hurricanes even where there is no suggestion of DFS.

Seafires were painted with the same synthetic finish as Spitfires, which was known to fade and chalk quite markedly (the formula was discarded, post-war, and a different synthetic paint used.) Also, the "different pattern" on the nearest airframe to me looks more like a shadow from part of the ship's superstructure; if you look through the darker area, it's possible to see the normal pattern forming a sort of "X," and no ship's NCO would allow that.

I suggest the Seafire in the immediate foreground has been misinterpreted and the colourizer has coloured in green, giving that strange non standard camo pattern, what, I too, strongly believe is a shadow of something on the conning tower of the carrier !!! Add to that the colours are very dubious being as the photo was originally monochrome. A shade of green is used as to the non expert Seafires/Spitfires were green and brown or green and grey so it s kept simple.

I definitely would not use that photo to model from.