F-105 Thunderchiefs in 1/72

Mario

Hello modellers,
No propellers this time (sorry), but another old warbird - the Republic F-105 Thunderchief. Originally designed to carry a nuclear weapon in an internal bomb bay, it became the backbone of US-fighter-bomber forces in the strategic bombing campaign against North Vietnam called “Rollin Thunder”. Although lacking maneuverability, Thunderchiefs were famous for their high speed/ low level capabilities and their ability to carry heavy weapon loads. A number of two seaters (about 60, I think) were modified as Wild Weasels to surpress North Vietnamese SAM sites. Nevertheless half of the production of F-105s was lost in the three years of Rolling Thunder.
The F-105 has always been my favourite among the century fighters and I have built a lot of models of them.
There are only three kits available in 1/72 - the obsolete Hasegawa kit, the Revell/Monogram and the Trumpeter kit. Never built a Trumpeter F-105, but made two Hasegawa and a lot of Revell/Monogram Thuds. I remember well, when it came out in 1988 and must say that it´s still a good choice, although it has no recessed panellines and not the best decals.
For the camouflaged F-105Ds, I choosed once again the do-it-yourself-approach. As the kit comes with wrong colored markings for a“Memphis Belle 2” and no nose art, I decided to make Js from the RU tailcode, print “Hanoi Special” and the pilot´s name at the canopy by myself and take the rest of the decals from the spare box. The multiple ejector rack was changed with one from the Hasegawa weapons set and the 750 pound bombs installed according to my references.
The silver F-105D is a model from the early nineties. I wanted an early Thud, as it appeared before their deployment to Southeast Asia. Under program “Look Alike”, these aircraft were painted with a protective aluminium paint - so no worry about panel shading. I painted it with Revell 66 aluminium and took the decal sheet of Monogram´s two seater F-105 F, as I had no other alternative. Additionally, the additional air scoops were not installed and the gun camera casing removed. The auxilary fuel tanks were removed, too and multiple ejector racks attached to the wing pylons. I have seen an aircraft in such a configuration in my reference, but it is obviously an ordnance test flight and not a combat sortie.
The two seater was built with the kit´s decals It represents a late G-model with Standard and Shrike antiradiation missles and fuselage mounted ECM bumps. Two of these G-model Thunderchiefs can be found in Germany: one in the aeroplane exhibition at Hermeskeil and one as gateguard at the Spangdahlem airbase.
For the builds I relied mostly on the Squadron Signal books “Thud”, “Wild Weasel” “Thud in action” and some issues of Aircraft and Aeroplane magazines. I also read “Thud Ridge” by Jack Broughton. There is a very good internet site about the F-105 by Craig Baker. You can find there a lot of multimedia material, mission audio files and hours of video.

Best regards,

Mario

IMG_1848_zpsa902a743.jpgIMG_1845_zpse69b3bd0.jpgIMG_1858_zps65c4dd84.jpgIMG_1862_zpsf0e45815.jpgIMG_1866_zps244dc720.jpgIMG_1859_zpsa2c1db2d.jpgIMG_1855_zpsf27ea0a5.jpgIMG_1850_zps038123a5.jpg

Edited by Mario
  • Like 24

Superb collection,which reminds me I have never built a kit of this aircraft!

I haven't either. Last time I saw one was in a model shop in Durham in the '80's. Bought a Seahawk instead and some white metal goblins, dobbies and things. I think I maybe missing out. May have to add to stash now

• Like 1

Great aircraft, great models and very well presented. I like the look of your diorama setting, they can really bring a model to life when they are displayed.

You can NEVER have enough Thuds!!!

• Like 1

Being of a generation made post Vietnam war, I didn't acquire any modeller lust for the century series aircraft. The thud alone captured my interest after the trumpeter kit came out and I bought it. I think it is regarded as being over riveted, but that can be easily solved by filling them to your taste.

Your models are outstanding, I agree with the previous comment about the diorama. That display really adds visual value to your great write up. Would you try a trumpy thud now that you have a few classics under your belt.

• Like 1

Thank you very much, Pascal, Steve, Darby and all others!

To modelglue:

Thank you very much for your compliments and for the description of the Trumpeter kit. I knew about the rivets and have heard that the wheels look strange and that the national insignias on the decal sheets have a too light blue. I´m not sure if I will buy a Trumpeter Thud as I still have a lot of Revell Ds and Monogram Gs in the stash. Bought some Printscale decals recently and also have a Microscale sheet for the G-version. Startet rescribing one of the Wild Weasel kits, but then shifted to other projects.

Best regards,

mario

• Like 1

Excellent collection and very well done! I love seeing them all together at your "base". :)

Those are all Monogram kits, right? You mention you have have built a couple of Hasegawa ones too. I would very much like to see them!

Best regards,

Jorge.

• Like 1

Another great diorama Mario - I especially love the Wild Weasel!

Thank you very much, Cookenbacher! Already prepared some Starfighter pics... Greetings to New Mexico.

Excellent collection and very well done! I love seeing them all together at your "base". :)

Those are all Monogram kits, right? You mention you have have built a couple of Hasegawa ones too. I would very much like to see them!

Best regards,

Jorge.

Thanks to you also, Jorge!

Yes, you are right - all these Thuds are Monogram origin. But the singleseaters were sold by Revell here in Germany. They are hard to find at the moment, but I have stockpiled kits of both versions. I also have two Hasegawa F-105s built and one kit in the stash, as I wanted the Arkansas Traveller decal option.Have made a picture of my better built Hasegawa Thud for comparison. I scratchbuilt a gun camera casing and some other additional details. Canopy is only single piece, air scoops at the rear are very basic, but the wing tanks/pylons are the most evident disadvantage of the model in my opinion. It is a post Vietnam war Thunderchief of the Virginia Air National Guard, but I copied the weapons load from the Monogram kit.

Greetings to Argentina

Mario

IMG_1926_zpsc5ae9c74.jpg

Edited by Mario
  • Like 2

Nice work Mario, the airbase is great too. The Trumpy F-105 was done by me two years ago and i think its no real improvement over the Monograms.

Nice paintwork on the not so easy SEAC camo !

Bernd

• Like 1

Mario,

many thanks for taking the time to post a pic of the Hasegawa kit. It looks splendid to me and in spite of its age shows a very nice model can still be made out of it.

I have been considering buying the Hasegawa "combo" for nostalgia purposes and your build will help making it happen! :analintruder:

Keep up the good work, mate!

Greetings to you too!

Jorge.

Edited by f4h1phantom
  • Like 1

Hi Uncle Mario:

I have missed this one as I haven't had not too much time last weeks but now, I have the pleasure of admire another masterpiece in every sense: Planes, Pics and Presentation are always great every time you appeared here, as i have said. I liked a lot all the variatins in the same theme made here by you, really outstanding!!!

I have in the stash the Hasegawa Kit. Two B's, One D, and the ubiquitious Monogram kit, seconded by two Airfix Weassels, and haven't got in time the Revell D and I'm praying the good souls of Revell Germany makes another time this much searched kit to get at least three. Hope to do soemthing with at least one of them soon, watching yours really deserves to replicate your wonderful work.

Thank you very much for sharing this nice collection,

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

• 3 years later...