Revell 1/144 fletcher class destroyer

stevej60

Very neat work :goodjob: !!

• Like 1

oh oh, slippage

Fear not! I got the rest of the rail posts on today and a couple of sections of evergreen strip completed will post a picture update when I get a chance.

Hi all,onward we go,all the deck gun's have had their top's painted today so tonight I'll dry brush them along with the two set's of torpedo tubes.

SDC13802%20640x480_zpsv2lliclu.jpgSDC13803%20640x480_zpsvtyripd2.jpg

• Like 7

coming along well. Perhaps you could answer a question as I am not too hot on Naval stuff - is this a WWII British Destroyer? I ask as my grandfather served on the Ulster during the war - when alive and while sat on his knee for an old war story, he told me they depth charged more whales than U boats..

scrub the above question - that was one of my Berkshire Blonde moments as I have just seen the words "US" on the boxlid of your first WIP photo - doh

• Like 1

coming along well. Perhaps you could answer a question as I am not too hot on Naval stuff - is this a WWII British Destroyer? I ask as my grandfather served on the Ulster during the war - when alive and while sat on his knee for an old war story, he told me they depth charged more whales than U boats..

scrub the above question - that was one of my Berkshire Blonde moments as I have just seen the words "US" on the boxlid of your first WIP photo - doh

That said I would love to see someone do a British Destroyer like Cossack or Kelly in this scale.

That said I would love to see someone do a British Destroyer like Cossack or Kelly in this scale.

MMMMMMMM Kelly, would gots to get me one of those if it ever happens. The Kelly occupies a special place in the hearts of the people of my home town, Hebburn, as she was built there (Hawthorn Leslies yard) and was towed there for repairs after being mined in the North Sea. Lord Louis Mountbatten served as her captain until she was sunk off Crete. When I was a sprog in the ATC I attended a memorial parade and remembrance service in Hebburn cemetery (where the remains of several of the crew are buried) which was attended by Lord Mountbatten, then when I reached my majority used to regularly attend "The Kelly" pub, named, not unsurprisingly, after the ship.

Edited by spaddad
  • Like 1

MMMMMMMM Kelly, would gots to get me one of those if it ever happens. The Kelly occupies a special place in the hearts of the people of my home town, Hebburn, as she was built there (Hawthorn Leslies yard) and was towed there for repairs after being mined in the North Sea. Lord Louis Mountbatten served as her captain until she was sunk off Crete. When I was a sprog in the ATC I attended a memorial parade and remembrance service in Hebburn cemetery (where the remains of several of the crew are buried) which was attended by Lord Mountbatten, then when I reached my majority used to regularly attend "The Kelly" pub, named, not unsurprisingly, after the ship.

I was on the Tyne cruise last Sunday and Kelly came up in the conversation I think I visited the cemetery a few year's ago must go and have another

look.even a decent priced 1/350 kit would do!

• 3 months later...

Hi folk's well not 100% accurate but the plan seems to have worked. It took just under an hour to complete one side of the ship including a couple

of coat's of paint and from "looking" distance it certainly looks better than the supplied thread and at a fiver a pack cheaper than the alternative's,so

another couple of session over the coming few days and should be "railed" up.

DSCN0209%20640x480_zpsjkzkdtan.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve. Sorry I'm late (very) to the proceedings (although it looks like you've been taking some time off here and there!)

Anyway it all looks very interesting. :thumbsup: Not my usual thing but I often look at some of the boxes of these rather large ships in the model shops. Really haven't got the space to build or display something like this.

:popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Steve. Sorry I'm late (very) to the proceedings (although it looks like you've been taking some time off here and there!)

Anyway it all looks very interesting. :thumbsup: Not my usual thing but I often look at some of the boxes of these rather large ships in the model shops. Really haven't got the space to build or display something like this.

:popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank,s Stix I got a rapid start then hit the problem with the rails,I,ve done a session a week on her recently and am about to permanently

fix the major superstructures in place and move the build on then find a place for her (shes just short of three feet!)

• Like 1

Open to a little criticism?

I think the (navy blue?) band around the ships drops way too much around the bow area. There is also a "drop" or a sharp bend where the band starts running unsupported

from the hull.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Open to a little criticism?

I think the (navy blue?) band around the ships drops way too much around the bow area. There is also a "drop" or a sharp bend where the band starts running unsupported

from the hull.

Cheers,

Just checked the hull against the paint plan and the medium blue/light gray demarcation is as Revell suggest the black waterline follows the raised

panel lines molded as a guide so if there is an issue I,m blaming Revell :devil:

• Like 1

Just checked the hull against the paint plan and the medium blue/light gray demarcation is as Revell suggest the black waterline follows the raised

panel lines molded as a guide so if there is an issue I,m blaming Revell :devil:

Hah, sounds like sabotage to me, them Jormans is out to get you Steve! :door:

• Like 1

Hi folks,many apologies for the length of time since any work was done on this project it really was those railings that did my head in! anyway

as promised Tuesday is "Fletcher" day so this morning has seen a head down get the railing posts done session which I,ve managed! so a

couple of shots to show her size as opposed to the size of my work table,and said posts in place you know I could get right back into this

as a rest from the up coming BoB GB!.Thanks for looking in.

SDC13616%20640x466_zpssd9yecuy.jpg

you are correct so far, just trying to help as this is something (if wanted) could be fixed quite easily I guess?

The blue band starts running on it's own around the 20mm gun mounts midships in your build while in pictures this stars way earlier,

this is why it might look different.

Running parallel to the black band is just fine I guess. Just trying to give some input :)

USS_Kidd_2015.jpg

• Like 3

What a superb photo! wish I,d seen it earlier,looks like again comparing it to Revell's plan they were nearly correct but missed the drop away which

the photo shows,I could correct it but as you can see from the railing compromise I,m not averse to a bit of artistic licence but thank,s for the input

hopefully I can get an update in soon and start to head for the finish line.

• Like 1