Revell 1/144 fletcher class destroyer

stevej60

Hi folks,many moons ago I used to build the odd ship in between my usual aircraft models not with great success I may add, so

this might join the list.The two ship models I always wanted to build were Matchbox,s 1/72 corvette,or this one,so now it,s time

have a go. I am going for an OOB build only variation will be the hull railings which I will address later in the build.Big problem is

my work space size(pic. 1).I have joined the hull.added the bulkheads and prop shafts and fixtures.The hull fit was superb and

after a little sanding along the seam is now ready for priming.The box art scheme looks superb but I never like ships painted in

this type of scheme but hav,nt decided on which version yet.So here we go!SDC12351800x533_zpsf3557e34.jpgSDC12353800x533_zps5b9d5c17.jpgSDC12355800x533_zpsa4d0093d.jpg

• Like 8

Hi folks, while the hull red/brown dries nicely I thought I would make a start on some sub-assemblies,so three of her guns completed which were a lovely fit with some nice detailing.

SDC12375800x600_zpsc1efec61.jpg

SDC12368800x533_zps63f9ca57.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 3

Looking forward to following Steve, i think i'm getting ever closer to adding a ship build to the (long) list of builds i already have...

Looks like you have about as much workspace as me, fun isn't it!

:banghead:

Nick

Have a go Nick,1/350 seems to be the "in" scale right now decent enough size for detail and storage.

• Like 1

Hi all, just an update on her,I have completed the other three main gun turrets,painted and fixed the props and primed the decks over the last few

mornings.I have decided to go for the camoflage option so next job will be the hull upper paintwork.Thanks for looking in.SDC12391800x600_zpsad02544e.jpgSDC12392800x600_zpsfffcfa8d.jpgSDC12396800x600_zps98cb8c79.jpg

• Like 2

Hi folks couple of half hour sessions on her over the weekend have sprayed the decks their correct colour and the upper hull.Tonight I gave her a

couple of coats of the very dark gray hull camoflage which I need to possibly give one more coat.Thanks for looking.SDC12420800x600_zpsfd0d66b4.jpg

• Like 5

Hi all, sorry but in the cold light of day I had not done a great job on the hull scheme so took the decision to revert to the plainer USS CHEVALIER

scheme so a re-paint on the hull and I am a lot happier.I have sprayed all the main armament and funnels etc and the multi part superstructure on

the sprues so I can wash and dry brush the detail as each section is assembled.Thanks for your interest.SDC12424800x600_zps5159d820.jpg

• Like 2

Aww what a shame! The Measure 12 Mod camouflage is a challenge, but worth the effort. The Measure 22 does look really smart on the Fletcher hull though!

Keep going, there's a lot of work in this kit, looking forward to more!

• Like 1

Hi all making another appearance this time all complete,sprayed and glossed are the main armament ,funnels and torpedo tubes.Also to give you

an idea of the superstructure detail here is a section which is also all done ready for a wash and dry brush.The plan is to build a complete section

add to the deck after weathering.Thanks for looking in.SDC12428800x600_zpseac8bf78.jpgSDC12429800x600_zps408df9a8.jpg

• Like 3

Hi all, thought it time to re-visit this build,so I have been painting the moulded on details on her deck in the gray finish of the upper superstructure

and applying a wash to the already painted and glossed parts already built so here,s a photo of one of her main guns after a bit of weathering. I

have applied the same to the rest and hope to post more tomorrow(the camera needs charging!).SDC12440800x600_zpse891b160.jpg

• Like 6

Hi all, got a half hour tonight on this build so added the details to one of her funnels the rails are a six part affair which were a great fit(I was dreading

it) so no issues,I am trying to get one stage done twice a week to keep up the momentum.Thanks for looking in.SDC12453800x600_zps4902c5f5.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 3

Hi all, here,s the latest, apart from a few more sub assemblies I have started adding the superstructure and to make it easier I still have not fixed

the deck in place I plan to do that on Monday,still no issues with fit etc this really is Revell at their best!SDC12459800x600_zps1f095f30.jpgSDC12457800x600_zpsc8b59b70.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,just got laptop back after a week away for hinge repair so a catch up on this build,cracked on with the superstructure with no issues,I have to take my

hat off to Revell for the engineering on this kit,I have started the long process off applying the many posts for the ships rails.Here,s a few photos of her as she

is today just popped on her guns and funnels for the pics.Thanks for your interest.SDC12504800x600_zps0f785c07.jpgSDC12502800x600_zps213ab47e.jpgSDC12499800x600_zps907cea73.jpgSDC12498800x600_zps363f2f97.jpg

• Like 8

That's looking good Steve. I especially like that you are building it out of the box, with no aftermarket parts, and it shows how good these kits build up 'as is'. I think the wheelie-bin base could do with being in a different colour though! :hmmm:

Excellent work :thumbsup:

Mike