sea harrier fa2 kit question which one

Paul_FGR4

which is the best kit airfix 1/72 sea harrier fa2 from the airfix club box with a gr7 or the xtrakit harrier fa2 as i have just purchased both and was wondering which one will look better with the 800 nas special scheme

many regards paul

I'd have to disagree with Windy on this one, but it depends on what you want from your model. Airfix's Shar 2 (and the Shar 1 for that matter) is very poor in terms of accuracy. The radome is the wrong shape, canopy too shallow, intakes too narrow, blow in doors are in the wrong place, drop tanks the wrong shape, missile pylons and missiles too skinny, panel lines far too deep..........I daresay there are a few more issues as well.....That said the decal sheet is good and worthy of something better - a lot better. But it can be slapped together fairly quick, which is probably the best thing for it, as you wouldn't want to waste valuable life time on this monstrosity!

the Xtrakit is slightly better in terms of overall shape, but also has issues regarding the radome. It is also lacking in finer detail in having a distinct lack of vortex generators on the wing and missing wing fences. Decal sheet was okay, though I seem to remember that the roundels pink and pale blue were funny shades.

So no, the Airfix kit is just as nasty as the Xtrakit thing.......

If you want a Shar2 , go 1/48th with Kinetic's new kit, or in 1/72 use the Esci/italeri FRS1 and one of the conversion sets....

I have built both models and I stick with my selection of the Airfix as the better kit (also easier to build).

The Xtrakit (which Special Hobby re-boxed with additional detail parts) is pig to make especially as many came with a canopy that just simply did not fit at all and Hannants just did not care.

But I agree with Bill though that the best F/A.2 is the new Kinetic 1/48 offering.

But if you did want to make a 1/72 model then a Italeri/Esci FRS.1 kit with F/A.2 conversion might be a better option although will require extra work.

These links may help Link 1 and this one Link 2

Slight hijack if I may - how has the new Kinetic kit been received?

Nick

Its the best Sea harrier kit out there Nick, in fact its the best Harrier kit! Certainly in terms of overall accuracy - a few "tweaks" here and there required and you need to take your time chucking it together. I'm sticking decals on mine at the moment.

It really IS an impressive kit.

I have built both models and I stick with my selection of the Airfix as the better kit (also easier to build).

The Xtrakit (which Special Hobby re-boxed with additional detail parts) is pig to make especially as many came with a canopy that just simply did not fit at all and Hannants just did not care.

But I agree with Bill though that the best F/A.2 is the new Kinetic 1/48 offering.

But if you did want to make a 1/72 model then a Italeri/Esci FRS.1 kit with F/A.2 conversion might be a better option although will require extra work.

These links may help Link 1 and this one Link 2

Hi Windy, I have no doubt that the Airfix kit goes together better than the Xtrakit one, though I never got that far on either of mine!! The OP may be happy with that, and if so, good luck to him.

In terms of fit it may be better by a mile, but not in terms of overall accuracy, which given the excellence of the Airfix GR1/GR3 and GR9 is a great shame.....particularly regarding the FA2. An opportunity lost I think.....

• Like 1

If you want the most accurate FA2, then it's a conversion job from the ESCI/Italeri FRS1 (or as one person I know is doing, from the Airfix GR1 with bits from the Xtrakit one and some other bits!) - I've used a couple of the resin kits on the market and the new fuselage section was am poor fit on both.

If you want an easier build that looks like a Sea Harrier , then the Aiirfix is certainly the way to go.