Bf110D-3 of Zg-76, Greece, 1941

I've been getting on with bits of mine in between my G4 Jon, I'm interested to hear about the horrible air intake/landing light inserts. The one thing that's impressed me so far about this kit is just how well all the items locate, a real precision job but I haven't got into this area yet......forewarned is forearmed!

Max

I just found that the 'thickness' of them didn't match up to the wing piece, so you ended up with a step mainly on the back join (parallel to the wing leading edge if that makes sense). I lined them up best on top, so there is a lot more filler underneath - I'll try and post up a photo to show what I mean. To be honest, there is bad fit and there is bad fit - they're not very good compared to the rest of this kit but I've built things where every single piece was like that. Probably just me being spoilt!

Jon

Right, finally some decent progress to report here. Also I've been playing around with my 'proper' camera (previous photos were from my phone) so the quality should have improved.... in recognition of this I'm posting them a bit bigger :thumbsup2:

Here are the main bits of the insides all painted up and ready to go:

1b49b9e2-44f6-4b8e-96dd-056069d8dc51_zps

Just bear in mind that's about three times actual size on your screen :blush:

For those interested, the main parts have had:

1. A spray of Tamiya 'RLM Grey'.
  2. A spray of a lightened version of the same on the flat bits in between detail and from above.
  3. Details picked out with Vallejo model colour / game colour - struggled with references so there's definitely some artistic license there.
  4. Xtracrylics clear gloss.
  5. Mig 'Dark Wash' thinned with a bit of turpentine over everything.
  6. AK 'Streaking Grime' around certain details.
  7. Flory 'Dark Dirt' as a pin wash around certain details (mainly the ribbing on the side walls) and the seatbelts).
  8. Xtracrylics clear matt.
  9. A drop of Xtracrylics gloss on each IP dial.

The metallic bits (guns, ammo cans) have had:

1. A spray of Tamiya 'NATO Black'
  2. A drybrushing with a mix of Citadel 'Chainmail' and Vallejo 'German Grey'.
  3. Xtracrylics clear gloss.
  4. Wash of Flory 'Dark Dirt'.
  5. Xtracrylics clear matt.

So here is the main cockpit assembled except for the left sidewall...

c6159682-326b-4cb3-a217-40e44ee11fe6_zps

And a group shot of the paints and other stuff used...

d64d70e7-d5b0-4785-a7fe-8bcfd3a73d5f_zps

And finally, here it is installed in the fuselage. I chamfered the edges a bit to create the panel line down the spine. The insert at the rear of the cockpit needs a bit of blending in and the panel lines around it sorting out - always disappointing how much work is hidden when closing up the fuselage, but on this occasion I was very upset to realise that this piece completely covers the ammo cans :shrug:

21453396-4bf6-48e9-b2d7-6138bc3bf912_zps

On a bit of a roll with this now, the cockpit has been the hold up but as I got the wings assembled while I was waiting then I should be able to crack on fairly quickly from here - wish me luck :fool:

Jon

• Like 3

Cheers lads :thumbsup2:

Apologies again for the photographs, I've been playing with a flashgun which I borrowed for a couple of days, so the colour balance and things are a little all over the place.

Not got a lot to report I'm afraid, I've been tacking one piece of plastic for a while - part number escapes me but it's basically the belly under the cockpit. I started by taping the piece in place at the front and back, and discovered some gaps in the middle which meant it would not line up with the underside of the wings. The gaps are indicated here by the shoddily-drawn red arrows:

778c5f23-876f-4d09-8d80-9d1ab43b38da_zps

As it took a bit of force to get it into place, I strapped the fuselage down onto a handy ruler which provided the necessary push upwards for the centre section, in the direction of the shoddily-drawn red arrow:

6008124b-340f-4c7f-be42-447c138f8d58_zps

With the centre piece stuck firmly to the underside of the cockpit, I glued the rear end, then finished with the front which again required a clamp to close up a gap at the wing root (indicated by, yes you've guessed it, a shoddily-drawn red arrow):

1289f000-aec0-41e0-ae57-869e9b3ebf98_zps

Not sure whether this was my doing, the kits, or just me being paranoid about some gaps which in the scheme of things wouldn't have ruined the model.... there it is anyway, and now a few days later than planned, I'm ready to add the wings :yahoo:

Jon

Jon, mine's exactly the same....currently stalled trying to work out how to attack it! I warned Depressed Lemur about it only yesterday but I blamed myself for "shoddy" (it's that word again!) workmanship, so in a way I'm quite relieved to see your identical problems since it means it's the manufacturer's fault not ours. :)

Max

Glad to hear that Max :thumbsup2: It's looking ok now after a couple of swipes of filler last night. Not sure whether the horizontal seams at the front and back of it should be there but I've just filled them smooth, especially as I was left with some small but noticeable steps.

Not sure if you've found this too but my wings don't quite sit evenly, one goes on fine but one (think it's the right one) seems to be flexed upwards a bit, giving a gap at the bottom between the lower wing and the belly piece. I've stuck the tail on so I have a reference point to see better if they're straight, and that confirms it's a little bit wonky. I presume I've got the wing spar piece in a little bit off level. It seems to go into place with a bit of force, so I think I just need to work out a clamping arrangement to apply enough force in the right direction(s) while some glue sets :blink2:

I'm still new to this aircraft building lark, definitely a different set of challenges to armour!

Jon

And then suddenly, as if by magic.... it starts to look a bit like a Bf110 :thumbsup:

60ecdf35-5f9f-4e6a-9967-53cf4d68f91a_zps

Afraid I'm back to the built-in flash on my camera for now, but I know what my Christmas present to myself is going to be :winkgrin:

I just forced the errant wing into place by hand in the end. I went with an initial dribble of CA on the mating surfaces, pressed the wing on and into place, then ran some thin cement around the join. Held firmly in place for 10 mins or so, then ran thin CA along the join again and wiped the excess off. Should be strong enough.... definitely got the better fit on the top side of both wings, the bottom is a bit ugly but shouldn't be seen :blush:

The tail surfaces all went together perfectly for me, just a nip of filler needed on the top side of the boat-tail (you can see the white line in the photo above). Also note the instructions have the wrong part number (A30 not A32) on the tail piece you need to drill the hole in, but it's pretty obvious!

Well done Jon, it's looking good from here. I see you've gone for the full leading edge slats and flaps down set up then! Don't think I'm going down that route this time, mine's going to be in for servicing! :)

Max

Cheers Max, yeah the flaps are just different parts to use (although I don't remember it being very clear in the instructions which one was for up vs. down) but the slats needed some bits cut out of the upper wings. Still not too much of a faff though. I recently built the Hobby Boss Me262 and cut out the flaps and slats myself, so compared to that it was no trauma at all!

Jon

Thought it was time I provided an update on this, although I've been working on lots of little bits so there's not a lot to show. I've added things like the slats, flaps and elevators, and here is a shot from behind of the current state of affairs.

e20983bd-2ed6-465e-9aa0-58339a5d3a26_zps

All the wing roots needed in the end was some thinned Vallejo Plastic Putty brushed on to fill the hairline gap. We'll see how they look under a coat of primer...

I've also been working on some other little bits, putting the wheels together, fuel tank racks, etc.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has tackled the bomb rack yet, and if so, how the little sway brace - type things went on.... I'm finding they are impossible to get hold of with tweezers due to the shape :shrug:

Jon

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for the tip Andy, I've put the legs together and already snapped one of those really thin supports that goes through the middle if you know what I mean, they'll both get replaced with brass rod at the end.

Been plodding on with this but nothing exciting to show really. I realised I was daft leaving out the rear facing gun when I did the cockpit, as now I'm having to paint it before I can fit the canopy anyway - d'oh. Then I've been building propellers, landing gear, dipping the canopy in klear, things like that. Will post up a photo when it's all ready for some paint (y)

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Right, again no exciting photos I'm afraid but I've got the canopy on and masked up with the Montex masks. It was my first time using these (used Eduard before) and I must say I like them. I would certainly not have fancied tackling this with masking tape...

6ed2c526-1265-4f88-a48c-f0fc004ad870_zps

Will update once I'm on with the painting... starting to worry about that deadline now!

• Like 1

I'm about to mask mine up Jon. To be honest I'm not that keen on Montex masks, well not so much Montex as the material used, kind of a sticky vinyl isn't it? I found it too thick for some of the sharper curves along the top edges so that each piece lifted after a short while. I'm using Frisket film and a sharp blade - it worked on my Anson!

Max