Bf110D-3 of Zg-76, Greece, 1941

Hi All

I'm jumping in here as a (slightly) late entrant with Dragon's Bf110D-3. I've turned up this photo via Hyperscale of what looks to be the actual aircraft shown on the box art...

76-1_zps441e0066.jpg

Usually I'm one for browsing the aftermarket decal selection, but since I've owned the kit I've not seen anything I prefer to this so think I'll be sticking with it.

I'll be plucking the kit from the garage tonight, and should have some progress posted up fairly soon :thumbsup:

Jon

• Like 4

I

A colourful bird indeed! In case someone wants to do that scheme in 1:72 scale, the M8+AP is included in DP Caspers´ Operation Merkur- decal sheet #72006. V-P

I have used this decal sheet and can recommend it. While researching the Me110's used over Crete in 1941 I discovered that there was some difference in opinion over what colour scheme was used, some sources were insisting on light/ dark grey while others were insisting on the familiar two shades of green suggested in the 1.72 Airfix kit.

At the time I decided on the grey scheme but it know sounds to me as though the green scheme was used over Greece in 1941, this is because I am led to believe that these aircraft left their French bases still painted green, and grey was not used until later while at the eastern front.

Edited by old thumper

Looks like this has sparked some discussion! There is a bit of conversation on the page I grabbed the photo from... http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1261078370/Questions+regarding+Colors+of+ZG+76+Bf-110s+during+Crete+Invasion

I did make a start last night on the cockpit. It's a while since I've built a Dragon kit and it's all come flooding back how much I love their plastic but hate their instructions :banghead:

Here is the cockpit about a third built. Rather than cut a hole through the pilot's seat, I've chopped off and slightly bent the end of the belts so they look like they disappear into it. The kit seatbelts are not that bad but certainly nothing special.

52d91725-35c2-4c94-991a-d8d794c9dd76_zps

And the first baffling bit of the instructions, in step 1:

c9ab7e61-43ac-4506-9c30-08c4cb0b18a5_zps

To anyone who's built this before - there's no way F54 can be reliably stuck to F34 in the manner shown, since they appear to locate separately into the cockpit floor piece? One goes on the top and one on the bottom of the floor?! And finally, for anyone who knows about Bf110's, should F54 (the 'rack' that the cannons attach to) be on a slant, up at the font, compared to the floor? Because it is!

More soon hopefully :thumbsup2:

Jon

It's slanted in relation to the floor in the 1/48 Eduard kit. Don't know about how the frame for the seat goes into the floor- does it protrude through the big hole? Even if it did, it seems like it would be easier to attach both to the floor rather than to each other then have to maneuver the assembly through the hole. They do meet, though, again according to Eduard (back end of gun thingy at same approximate location as the seat frame).

Edit: having found the Dragon (1/48) instructions online, they have you plop the whole thing in place from above. Hmm...

bob

Edited by gingerbob

Looks like this has sparked some discussion! There is a bit of conversation on the page I grabbed the photo from... http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1261078370/Questions+regarding+Colors+of+ZG+76+Bf-110s+during+Crete+Invasion

I did make a start last night on the cockpit. It's a while since I've built a Dragon kit and it's all come flooding back how much I love their plastic but hate their instructions :banghead:

Here is the cockpit about a third built. Rather than cut a hole through the pilot's seat, I've chopped off and slightly bent the end of the belts so they look like they disappear into it. The kit seatbelts are not that bad but certainly nothing special.

52d91725-35c2-4c94-991a-d8d794c9dd76_zps

And the first baffling bit of the instructions, in step 1:

c9ab7e61-43ac-4506-9c30-08c4cb0b18a5_zps

To anyone who's built this before - there's no way F54 can be reliably stuck to F34 in the manner shown, since they appear to locate separately into the cockpit floor piece? One goes on the top and one on the bottom of the floor?! And finally, for anyone who knows about Bf110's, should F54 (the 'rack' that the cannons attach to) be on a slant, up at the font, compared to the floor? Because it is!

More soon hopefully :thumbsup2:

Jon

If I recall I stuck them down separate. I had problems with the teeth decal ended up hand painting it on, but apart from that it all went together really well, I have an engine going for a dragon kit if your interested.

Ozzy

• Like 1

To be honest I gave up looking as soon as I realised that I would probably never find a definite answer.

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 1

Jon , i built the dragon (Cyber Hobby ) 110d nightfighter and i think the instructions show some parts being attached upside down so take care .

Not come across any upside down ones yet, but one piece that just isn't mentioned at all. There is a trim wheel on the same sprue as the cockpit parts, and a locating point which fits it in the left cockpit side wall, so I made an assumption!

If I recall I stuck them down separate. I had problems with the teeth decal ended up hand painting it on, but apart from that it all went together really well, I have an engine going for a dragon kit if your interested.

Ozzy

Thanks for the offer Ozzy, the boxing I am using has two engines in with it, think I'm going to leave them out though as it takes me long enough to get a build done as it is.

So last night I finished getting the various cockpit parts cleaned up and put together into subassemblies, and was left with this.

1dac8c45-55f5-441f-9e8b-cb8e44be0c27_zps

Next job is to mount them all on cocktail sticks ready for a bit of airbrush action. The only major internal component which isn't there is the rear gun, which I'll knock together later in the build.

Stay safe y'all.

Jon

• Like 2

Looking good,building this myself, just haven't posted pics yet,just replaced the ip&changed the belts for eduard coloured ones,fit is first class

Amdy

I wondered about getting those bits but with etch belts in the kit it didn't seem worth it for the IP, especially as I'm planning on leaving the canopy closed.

While the cockpit parts are in the paint shop (garage) I thought I'd crack on with the wings and nacelle parts. There is an error in the instructions, where they pair up the wrong sets of plates which the exhausts fit into.

87a40e79-974f-446c-a663-bb77981fcf3d_zps

Corrected numbers in red, hope that helps you Andy! So B29 and B28 form the left hand nacelle, with B26 and B27 for the right hand one. I didn't realise this until too late and had to do some unsticking :banghead:

The only saving grace is that I used the Quickboost exhausts, so managed to prise the superglue apart. If I'd cemented the plastic exhausts on there'd have been no chance!

I went a different route to that suggested in the instructions, and have started by fitting the upper and lower wing, along with the exhaust backing panels together as I was worried about that joint at the wing root. I will then add the nacelle bottom, then the top being the simplest part can be adjusted to get the right fit. Unfortunately the wings were somewhat warped, so I started by sticking together the section inboard of the nacelle like this.

050c21c2-9753-4b77-bae0-e396fbd9ee33_zps

Then once that has dried overnight I'll clamp the outer section together which should do away with the warping.

Back with more soon hopefully :thumbsup2:

Jon

Hi Jon,

thanks for the heads up on the engine nacells, I used an IP from an Eduard 110 in the stash & it fits just fine.

looks good mate havent had any real fit probs yet......that's the kiss of death now!

Andy.

Hi Jon, looking at the sharks mouth just.....got a feeling it will be a right pig to fit :banghead:

Andy.

I fear so Andy, I'm intending to give it a go but to have a back-up plan in place....

Nice work Jon, by the time I get to the club next you'll have this one finished :fuhrer:

No chance.

I did do a bit more building last night, got the wings all together now apart from the flaps. The fit on the inserts for the landing light and air intake (?) on the left wing was horrendous, lots of filler and sanding then a coat of primer and another rub down. I've re-scribed the line around the intake piece, but assume the landing light piece should just be flush with the wing, unless anybody knows different?

812eecf5-677d-440a-b413-87ed8af0a8a6_zps

You can also see the Quickboost exhaust in place there - they took a bit of trimming but went on fine in the end.

In between throwing coats of paint at the cockpit, I've also put together the hangy-underneath-bits. I've gone for the two big fuel tanks :bouncy:

5bde1f0f-2d91-4b81-9fb7-75d46f520567_zps

The cockpit is now at the point where it just needs a flat coat and it's done, so next update should be that :thumbsup2:

Jon