Airfix 1/48 BF109e-3 Tiberiu Vinc, Stalingrad, 1942/43

Just finished this one, and it only took me a week, which is lightening quick for me..

It went together really well, and i reckon i'll add some more of these to the stash at some point. A really good effort from Airfix with no problems going together at all.

I chose this colourscheme as it's a bit different, and i thought seeing as conditions would have been very difficult at that time in Stalingrad it gave me a chance to practise some fairly heavy weathering. I think i went over the top a bit but i had fun so i guess thats all that counts!

Anyway, on with the pics. Constructive criticism is welcomed, i want to improve. :)

PS. I forget the armour plate in the cockpit, only just noticed..

DSC_8252_zps01ae75ec.jpg

DSC_8263_zps6edccbb6.jpg

DSC_8261_zps41363426.jpg

DSC_8260_zps7917ce4e.jpg

DSC_8265_zps731b8c97.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Nick

• Like 10

It is a lovely kit isn't it! I just finished my second and plan to add a few more. Nice to see something a bit different to BoB 109Es. (mine are Condor Legion and RAF evaluation) As for the weathering, I think you've probably been a bit restrained with it, rather than over the top. Top job!

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

For the weathering I used a flory dark wash on the panel lines and then oil paints to simulate paint fade and stains. I used white, orange, yellow and light green. it's the first time I've tried that method and I am quite pleased with how it worked out, although i did learn that you only need a very very small amount of oil paint.

nick

• 1 year later...

I was just reading about this pilot. He was, at one time, the top-scoring Romanian pilot. He'd shot down a few I-16s during Barbarossa, and a Hurricane in Jan '43 over Stalingrad. After converting to Gustav, he went to town on all the later Sov planes, Il-2, La-5, Pe-2 etc. He was shot down and killed by a He 111 gunner in March,1944.