Early marks Spitfire flap position indicator

doorgunner

Hello, in my long research about Spitfire instruments just one and last brick is missing on my wall...

The spitfire flap position indicator. I know it was fitted on on very early Spitfires and on early it left a large hole in the panel.

I HAVE to make the last hole on my 1/1 panel but I don't know the hole measurement, because I never saw on an original drawing this particular and don't know the AM part number of it.

Attached you'll find two pics, one from wartime and one of the Cosford-preserved Mk I. Both of them have it ...

Who can help with a size, a diameter of the hole, a part number or a picture, please ?

TIA

Ciao

Maurizio

asd_zps3ed9b003.jpg

asdf_zpsc6df553a.jpg

• Like 1

I await this one with intrest as I was under the impression the Sptitfire flaps were either up OR. down and the lever gave the definitive position .IIRC early aircraft had a retractable landing lamp ;no idea though how it was controlled or indicated.

Looking forward to an expert answer

Dave

I await this one with intrest as I was under the impression the Sptitfire flaps were either up OR. down and the lever gave the definitive position .IIRC early aircraft had a retractable landing lamp ;no idea though how it was controlled or indicated.

Looking forward to an expert answer

Dave

Which is why the gauge was often removed from aircraft since the indication of up or down could be seen just by looking out onto either wing and seeing the position of the flap actuator cover.

I haven't found a good picture showing it of N3200's or P9374's cockpit online other than these, as both aircraft have been restored without the flap gauge but July's Flypast has a better picture of N3200's cockpit showing the hole and measuring that picture the flap gauge must have been the same size as the ASI as the hole for the flap indicator is just slightly smaller than the ASI. That's of course if they got it right on these aircraft.

DX%20061011%20cockpit%20details%20D450%2

SpitfireMK1cockpittall.jpg

Edited by Tbolt

Hi All,

As an aside one thing worth noting about the August 1940 photographed Spitfire II cockpit, is the presence of seat mounted flare rack.

So if modelling a 1940 Spitfire it would certainly be appropriate, to include the flare rack within the cockpit of your replica.

Cheers,

Daniel.

This is from the Pilot's notes (note to "tailwheel":- the landing lamps control is that bunch of knitting over the pilot's left knee, with the switch just above it on the instrument panel)

British instruments were a standard (Imperial) diameter, so, if it appears to be the same as the direction indicator or altimeter, then it probably was.

PICT0033_zps2e9c7bf1.jpg

The flap position indicator was deleted mid-June 1940, and, since it was common practice to modify master drawings, that probably explains why you're unable to find a drawing showing the dimension (I haven't got one.)

Also, note that the seat with the Very cartridge rack is metal, therefore probably made by Supermarine themselves to a drawing which includes the rack. The plastic seat didn't have the rack as standard, though they did appear, especially on Westland-built airframes, probably designed for the Seafire.

• Like 1