Hawker Hind (conversion from vintage Aeroclub Demon, 1/72) --- Done

Old Man

Those exhausts came out nicely, OM! Nice job on the retracting arms on the radiator, also.

Regards,

Jason

Glad you like it, Sir. Laborious but simple, like most of my efforts....

The rams horn exhausts look great. I have no idea why they were designed that way. Apparently they were prone to exploding in flight - very reassuring!

Regards,

Adrian

Thank you, Sir. I believe the purpose was exhaust dampening for night operations; no glare to blind the pilot and little glow to guide searchlights or guns. And yes, un-burnt fuel vapors could collect in the hollows and go bang. I recall reading speed improved by about 5 mph when they were removed.

• Like 1

This is done, at least for GB deadline purposes. It is not yet on its stand, and pictures show a little touching up needed where finish had to be repaired, but I will not be able to get on the bench before Wednesday next, so....

Here are some pictures from the last push....

IMG_6194_zpse6f4f287.jpg

IMG_6196_zpsd40508d1.jpg

These were taken just before getting the upper wing on last evening.

IMG_6198_zps50d6e358.jpg

IMG_6199_zps157e2a86.jpg

Late last night, before starting to rig in earnest, with scratched cabanes in. I should have realized I was getting into trouble when I noticed after putting on the upper wing that I had omitted the sighting rod....

Today after doing the cabane rigging I noticed the interplane struts were out of whack, with one leaning out more than the other. Had to take the upper wing off, re-do some locating holes, and did some damage to the finish. Without this, I might have brought the thing in to full completion, stand and all, but it cost over two hours....

At any rate, here is the thing as it is....

IMG_6202_zps33c11cf7.jpg

IMG_6203_zps701a72ef.jpg

IMG_6207_zps54ee9c95.jpg

A few patches need a bit more attention; color matches but not sheen, and a bit of Future will rectify that.

I expect we can get better pictures, with touch-ups, next week. No sun here today, either....

Ah, well. Some days you bite the bear, some days the bear bites you.

Edited by Old Man
  • Like 5

That looks lovely. I like the contrast between silver dope and polished metal, and the casual crew poses look great. Adding a top wing and rigging under time pressure is not good for the blood pressure...

Regards,

Adrian