Air Afrique DC-8-63F (Minicraft 1/144)

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then Ruben Husberg can consider himself to be well and truly flattered ! http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/18440-air-afrique-dc-8-63-1144/?hl=afrique :)

I've always liked Air Afrique's colour scheme and Ruben's build in 2008 was an absolute corker - so much so, that I hadn't actually planned on trying to build my own. Thankfully, a right stuff up with the paintwork on my original Zambia Airways DC-8 lead me to a tough decision - either bin the kit or strip the paintwork down to the plastic and have another go with a different scheme....!

Stripping the paint won the day (although it was a close call), so here's my take on TU-TCF : Air Afrique's DC-8-63F (1/144 kit by MInicraft)

UwyDtZl.jpg

oaFvOih.jpg

D7bjQ3P.jpg

yEDI3qW.jpg

dIKbSyf.jpg

As for the Zambia Airways DC-8, well I ended up buying another kit anyway, and as my comparison shot, here's a "Tale of Two Tails............"

RPXFG6z.jpg

(I'm hoping the Zambian 8 will land in RFI in the next week or two.)

Thanks for looking.

mike

• Like 12

Agree Jess...this is so smart

Loveley job mike :mike: ...great metal work...trouble is..well I'll be blunt, there were 550 odd, was it 556?...DC 8 built. many wore a few liveries...so you

better get cracking, can't stop here :guitar:

Cheers Gary. Good news is that I've already made a head-start, so there's only Only 546 (or 552) to go then ! :frantic:

DC8s.jpg

mike

Nice work again Mike.

As Jess and Gary have said, you cant beat a good cheatline. Especially green.

With two DC-8s and Billy's lovely A300, Air Afrique is certainly getting some attention.

Thanks for sharing,

Chris.

• Like 1

You have been a busy boy. Another masterpiece!

You do have a knack / gift on the engines of these planes - the varying and subtle shades of difference in the metallic surfaces - Colour me jealous.

Looking forward to Miss Zambia too.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

- Colour me jealous.

Would that be with a green cheatline , sir ? :bleh:

(Cheers Mike - thanks for the comment - much appreciated. Hope to finish off the Zambian on the weekend, so stay tuned)

Glad to see your weekend wasn't totally wasted....!!

...not unless you count the two hours I spent waiting for Airfix to make their big announcement...... :fraidnot:

mike

One of the best yet Mike, absolutely gorgeous. I like the natural metal areas on the wings, nice tonal variation.

In a way I'm glad you had problems with the original Zambia finish....

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Nice work again Mike.

As Jess and Gary have said, you cant beat a good cheatline. Especially green.

With two DC-8s and Billy's lovely A300, Air Afrique is certainly getting some attention.

Thanks for sharing,

Chris.

Cheers Chris.

Here's another one for the collection. Revell A310 I finished off in the dark ages :

aaportfront.jpg

I'd like to think that thanks to BM (and my local model club !), I've been making steady progress over the past few years. :thumbsup:

mike

• Like 2

Once again Mike.... You have made an ACE job there and I am really looking forward to seeing the Zambia Airways lady too. You most certainly have the 'touch with the 8'.

Your metal work on the wings and engines is outstanding. Just like the real thing!

I might have to pick your brains when I come to do the B720 in the not too distant future.

:thumbsup:

Mark

• Like 1

I might have to pick your brains when I come to do the B720 in the not too distant future.

Cheers Mark but I've seen your builds on BM and I don't think you need any advice from me ! (Speaking of B720s, two have mysteriously appeared in my loft ? I'm beginning to think that the postman is beginning to take liberties now, as he used to leave the kits in our entrance hall.....)

Many Thanks to everyone else who has taken the time to post comments on my builds - much appreciated.

mike

Cheers Chris.

Here's another one for the collection. Revell A310 I finished off in the dark ages :

I'd like to think that thanks to BM (and my local model club !), I've been making steady progress over the past few years. :thumbsup:

mike

It's a lovely scheme to be sure. I managed to get hold of the old Microscale sheet that included the Air Afrique DC-10 and more recently, the AGI sheet for the A300 and A310.

One of these days I'll get around to building one but in the meantime, I'm glad I can see the lovely work displayed here.

Thanks again for posting.

Chris.