The Yellow Peril, aka Two Ton Tessie

Harvard Mk. IV

RCAF Moose Jaw, 1953.

RCAF2_zpscdd287de.jpg

In Canadian service the Harvard was often referred to as 'The Yellow Peril', or 'Two Ton Tessie'. Many thousands of RAF and RCAF pilots must have undertaken their training on these aircraft over the years, flying over the vast Candian praries getting to grips with the beast.

I was reminded of it again, reading an excellent book "Stalins' Had it now!" by James Stevenson, an RAF pilot who did his training on Harvards & T-33's in Canada before returning to the UK to fly Vampires. I thoroghly recommend it, it's a good read.

RCAF16_zps2c587c5b.jpg

I built the Occiental 1/48th Harvard when it came out about 15 years ago, so dug it out of storage and dusted it off, to what you see here.

RCAF4_zpsae6ef14b.jpg

RCAF1_zpsa6d90e9e.jpg

RCAF3_zps83615bff.jpg

This particular aircraft was flown by 'Viking senior' (my father) who was in the RCAF at the same time as the James Stevenson book covers, I still have his wings;

RCAF6_zpsd39c57fd.jpg

And a couple of photos of him in the air. I now notice that the 'GT-F' lettering on my model is not the right font, but hey-ho!

RCAF8_zps8c8d88a2.jpg

There is no doubt that is Canada down below!

RCAF9_zpsb8a86580.jpg

Like James Stevenson he went on to T-33's, so i built one of those as well 15-odd years ago,and also dusted it off and photographed it. This is the Academy 1/48th kit, representing on of the T-33's he flew at RCAF Gimli;

RCAF11_zpsee3c6383.jpg

RCAF12_zpsc8a3ad02.jpg

RCAF10_zps788c709a.jpg

RCAF14_zps9d6758e0.jpg

RCAF15_zps351bf8c4.jpg

Just need to build that Hasegawa Sabre V now, to complete the set.

Thanks for looking,

John

• Like 17

One of the reason I like here is you can always see some nicely built beautiful not so usual seen planes here. You are one of these people make here a good place

Have to agree with guaguachong. Two very nice builds indeed :)

Cliff

• Like 1

Thanks, All!

Very nice John (but I do hope you find your way back to civvie street soon) :popcorn:

mike

Mike, maybe soon. On the workbench - a TCA Connie, Aer Lingus 737, Pan Am 720, Qantas 737-800, and inspired by Mr Vucanicty a Dan Air Comet 4c conversion with pinion tanks. Trouble is another Wingnut Wings Fokker D.VII has grabbed my attention lately, and I can't put it down. Lovely kit!

Cheers

John

:wub: ! very nice work on both. Shame about the code letters on them but still very nicely finished regardless. Keep up the good work and look forward to seeing your Sabre.