Yellow Submarine

Bengalensis

[quote name="Jörgen Stendahl" post="1815088" timestamp="1417977661

YS41.jpg

I realised I had put on quite a lot of welding and calculated the total amount; it turned out to be 7,3 meters!

YS42.jpg

Fantastic work, and a homemade Jenga set made out of the backing paper, you really don't miss a trick !

Cheers Pat

• Like 2

I would say that's pick-up-sticks rather than Jenga, but it's still a good way to use all those bits.

The sub's looking great, love all the thought which has gone into the angled bits. And the periscopes make me happy.

Will

• Like 3

Thanks a lot guys. I'd better get on with some paint here to keep reasonably focused. Trying not to start yet another build before at least one more is finished... White on top of the hull and the rudder, some red for the railing and Alclad polished brass on the propeller.

YS44.jpg

• Like 2

I used the decal copy stripe again to determine the masking line for the white area, then sprayed the first yellow colour. The exact shade is not clearly understood but it turns out that Humbrol 99 is a very good match. I also sprayed the periscope glasses with Tamiya clear red on the inside.

YS46.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks a lot. This morning I did more masking and then sprayed the second and third yellow colours. I was probably going to miss the fact that there are three yellow shades and not just two, if it weren't for a friend who said something about three yellows the other day. It's actually four shades counting the orange "eyes". For the second I used Revell 15 and the third is Humbrol 154 with some 82 orange mixed in. The idea is to have these two shades placed in between the first yellow colour and the orange eyes.

YS47.jpg

• Like 4

When the last yellow could be safely handled I masked off around the bridge floor and sprayed some purple.

YS48.jpg

Then it was time for the exciting, and scary, moment to mask off. Luckily it all went well and there was only a very minor yellow touch up to do on the underside. I also painted the white edges on the periscopes. It now needs an overall gloss coat before unmasking the windows, which will be problematic, and applying the decals.

YS49.jpg

• Like 5

Great work and WHAT attention to detail. Can't wait to see the finished article... But no, wait, then we'll need another fun build to follow!

• Like 2

Many thanks. I scraped some time and inspiration together, which was not the easiest thing today which has been quite emotional, to first spray a gloss coat and then remove the window masking. After cutting and some persuasion they finally gave in, but it wasn't easy. With a little cleaning it all looks OK, but most importantly no window was pushed in. The edges will work as I will apply the decal surrounds, without that it would be a much more problematic story. The bad thing is that I have to mask them once again for the final flat cote.

YS50.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks a lot for your kind praise, I'm glad you like it.

The porthole surrounds wasn't as easy as I had hoped, which was my own entire fault. Cutting out and applying the red rings was easy enough, but it was only after they went on that I realised there were too deep ditches around the glass. So I had to fill those in with two rounds of Kristal Clear and then paint in the red rings up to the glass. A time consuming adventure, although not very difficult. Had I just done the filling before the decals it would have saved me all the trouble. Nevermind, it's done.

YS51.jpg

Then I could start cutting up the stripe decals and apply them. It's a little tricky around the rear bottom, but nothing that decal softener and the hair dryer won't take care of.

YS52.jpg

The stripes do not fit correctly unless cutting them up and changing the pieces around a bit. I had planned this thanks to my test fitting with the decal paper copy when I placed the portholes, so it was no problem.

YS53.jpg

With the stripes completed and the black eye surrounds painted I'm rather happy with the result. I will let it rest a day now and then mask those portholes again (all sixteen...) for another coat of clear before some weathering can be done.

YS54.jpg

• Like 5