Bucker Bu-181 Bestmann, Huma 1/72 (conv.)

JWM

Hi again - this is my second post today. A German airplane. Bucker B.181 Bestmann. This was a trainer, however during late phase of Reich defense in 1945 it was converted to a tank buster by adding 4 Panzerfaus (bazooka?) - anti tank weapon used normally by troops. A bit similar to mounting 2 machine guns on top of wings of Yakovlev UT-1, which I post here a couple weeks ago.

This particular machine was flown by Hauptmann Hubertus Jennes a leader (Kommandofuhrer) of Nachtschlachtkommando 9 in Perleberg, North Germany, April 1945.

I made it from Huma kit in 2006 (my record year - I made 24 models in that year), scratch modifications and with small reshaping of Huma tail, as I remeber.. Now there is RS kit of with exactly the same I think markings...

Here it is:

bu 181 DSC02633bu 181 DSC02630bu 181 DSC02631bu 181 DSC02632bu 181 DSC02634bu 181 DSC02636

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 8

Very interesting aircraft. As you stated correctly, there are "Panzerfaust" mounted (i think Panzerfaust 150, the biggest ones available. They were a lighter weapon than the bazooka (it was handled by one man, unlike the bazooka). Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Thank you Ben, "Luftwaffe", Vesa and Steve for very nice comments.

Were the Panzerfausts scratch built?

Yes, plans I have from net and about the colour I asked my father nad uncle, who were boys during WWII...

I just wonder how useful this concept was

Perhaps not too much since it was not reproduced then.

AZ I think but its without the detail yours have, I'll happily refer to this for help

I wrote that there is newer than Huma kit is from RS, but indeed it is from AZ. I have somwhere an article about this conversion (in nature, not the model) - i will try to dig for it.

i think Panzerfaust 150, the biggest ones available

I think so - as far as I remember

Cheers

Jezry-Wojtek

• Like 2

Hi Jerzy:

I have a soft spot in my heart for light planes and "sheep with wolf skins" as I liked to name those lightplanes with military use.

I have nearly killed someone for this Huma Kit, in 1990's I had ordered it many times but the good souls of <Squadron haven't hat it anytime I ordered, but well, until some two years ago i found one in Ebay and rushed for the joy of having that...... I'm happy with it.....I hope I will make it as an Egyptian Gomhouria....but looking yours, mayabe have to look for another as this one really have the spirit of a story to be telled and as usual, another masterpiece of your collection shared with us.

Thank you very much for sharing,

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1