New Airfix : He 111, Defiant & Sea King

Ossington 2

Hi

Well airfix were not the first to go to norway, (revell) but first with the technology, but I hope it doesnt restrict airfix to only producing kits of examples that are in museums.

Hopefully they research the history/quality of previous restorations to the museum exibits, and use old plans etc as well.

If the new airfix are mini versions of revells 1:32 they should sell well for airfix :-)

Cheers

Jerry

I'm very happy to hear of the new Defiant, the old moulds have definitely earned an honourable discharge and the pictures of the new one look rather nice - open or closed canopy options if my eyes don't deceive me... so I will definitely be in for two or three of those, depending on the aftermarket decals available - and we only have to wait until January for it, brilliant :D

The Heinkel 111 is a good choice too, I think the old mould has paid for itself and was long overdue the knacker's yard -_- and if H and P versions will be released I think it should be a good seller (yes I know Revell do the Hasegawa H-6 but that surely must by nature have been a limited pressing so won't last forever)

I'm not that fussed about the Seaking, but I am pleased for the helicopter fans, as from what I understand they have not been well served by the existing kit which I believe cannot be built and has to be actually killed with fire :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

I spoke the the Airfix manager at Telford yesterday, I asked why a new He111 when there was a good Revell/Hasegawa kit out there.

His reasons:

1) new kit for BoB anniversary next year, the release is a P2 version

2) they could not justify re-releasing the current kit due to the state of the moulds, doesn't give a good experience for newer modellers, same with the Sea King

3) With laser scanning they believe theirs is better and more accurate than anyone else's, particularly the nose and the area where the underside of the wing meets the fuselage - he pointed this out on the sprue.

He also said it takes about 3 years to design a 1:24 kit, you also need to build demand and expectation, so don't be expecting one yet or maybe next year either.

Leighton

Now off back to Telford :)

I wonder if the MOD will permit Airfix to scan the F-35B with LIDAR - might be some nooks and crannies they don't want illuminated/scanned :ninja::ninja::shutup::shutup:

I also take it Airfix only do the exterior with LIDAR so internals such as cargo bays, bomb bays, cockpits will not get the treatment? I did not see any rotor blades on that HC4 in the photo with the Airfix LIDAR set up either....

Would not mind a new tool 1/72 HS 780 Andover with internals or a JU-52?

• Like 1

The general atmosphere at Telford about Airfix was one of disappointment, for me as well. However, I think the reasons mentioned by their manager above are quite sensible. In the end all Airfix want to do is to sell kits, and the 111 will sell, even if there is a (in my eyes) superior alternative on the market already. In all the speculation it's easy to lose sight of the fact that for a major company, a kit needs to sell well all over the world. That rules out slightly more exotic types, even if they are British.

The Defiant is an excellent choice, I think most are very happy with this.

As for the scanning thing, well, over the past fifty years there have been many very accurate kits out, so it's not a prerequisite apparently. I'm not particularly concerned with how kits are made, more with what kits are made. As for hyping it - having the PA lady announce it twice to all of SMW does sound like building expectations to me from Airfix.

Just a little sad that from what I have seen everything is in 1/72. A pity there is nothing announced for those of us who do not really work in that scale. A 1/48 Defiant would have me dancing a happy jig :)

Just got the email from Airfix. The new Defiant will be most welcome by most modellers if it's remotely accurate!

Shame there's no new Do217 but we can't have everything!

thanks

Mike

I'm very happy with the new kits! The he 111 and defiant have been allocated a space in my cupboard!

Agree with you about the hype and,I am as guilty as anyone in that respect. However,I think the assumptions about the "big announcement" and " large new kit" were honest and made in good faith. How many of us could foresee that the " big announcement" would be about a new method of model production? Regardless of all the speculation and flights of fancy,I think it understandable that there is some disappointment.After all, we lesser mortals are surely more interested in WHAT Airfix are going to produce rather than HOW they are going to produce it?

That said, we have the December announcements to look forward to. Airfix will surely have a few surprises in store and I am sure there will be something for everyone. As for the models announced today,I will happily buy the Heinkel and especially the Defiant.

As I said, there will always be people who are disappointed every year. That's unavoidable.

So far, for the past few years, Airfix have produced several kits each year that have been of interest to me and that I've bought. Maybe I've been lucky so far. Maybe next year there will be nothing for me.Who knows. But if that is the case I'll just start to reduce the stash. I have no proof, but I'm guessing that there are few aircraft modellers that don't find something of interest each year. After all it's in Airfix's best commercial interests to produce a range of kits that appeal to the widest audience.

With regard to the "large new kit", I don't think I saw or heard any "official" Airfix hints about that. Although having said that, we still don't know what surprises Airfix may have up their sleeve when they announce the rest of the 2015 catalogue. Would a 1/72 Shackleton qualify as a "large new kit" say? Or how about a 1/48 Beaufighter? Would that qualify as large? Or is a kit only large if it's 1/24? Do the actual dimensions come into it regardless of scale? I guess it's a matter of perception.

The "big announcement" however, was surely a masterstroke of marketing. It got people talking and generated a huge amount of interest, never a bad thing. Sure, those expecting a big kit are disappointed, but that's what happens when people let their imaginations run away. I also wonder how many people complaining about no "big kit" would actually be in the market for one anyway.

As you say, let's wait and see what else Airfix have in store for 2015. I, for one, am looking forward to it.

• Like 5

So Airfix seem to be working their way through the WWII subjects. What's left in their back catalogue aircraft wise (I'll leave other categories to those who know)? Battle (likely), Stirling (not sure), Halifax (will probably be a radial engines type) and that's about it for British types.

P-38 (that would be nice), Hellcat, Wildcat and Corsair (one of those for 2015). B-17 or B-24? Not sure about those. Marauder or Invader? Again unlikely I think as those would be better in 1/48. For a US medium bomber, either the A-20 or B-25 would I think be more of a banker.

As for Japanese stuff, Airfix never did have a large selection - the Val maybe?

Russian types? Pick any Yak or MiG and we would snap them up. Would they redo the Pe-2 or Il-2, probably not.

Then there's the Great War and Cold War to cover!

Trevor

I will certainly bag a Defiant, having memories of Airfix's first one... MPM did one a few years ago but it's almost unobtainable (and would probably be twice the price). Seems they're steadily correcting past omissions in their range!

The MPM one is still easily obtainable, they did several boxings of it and some are still available from vendors, if you know where to look. That said, I imagine the Airfix one will kill sales of the MPM one once it's out, unless of course Airfix totally botch it!

Hornby and Bachmann for RTR trains

In that case, this will be why Airfix have it now, being part of Hornby. Makes you wonder how long Hornby have been using it for and when exactly did they let Airfix have it.

The general atmosphere at Telford about Airfix was one of disappointment, for me as well. However, I think the reasons mentioned by their manager above are quite sensible. In the end all Airfix want to do is to sell kits, and the 111 will sell, even if there is a (in my eyes) superior alternative on the market already. In all the speculation it's easy to lose sight of the fact that for a major company, a kit needs to sell well all over the world. That rules out slightly more exotic types, even if they are British.

The Defiant is an excellent choice, I think most are very happy with this.

As for the scanning thing, well, over the past fifty years there have been many very accurate kits out, so it's not a prerequisite apparently. I'm not particularly concerned with how kits are made, more with what kits are made. As for hyping it - having the PA lady announce it twice to all of SMW does sound like building expectations to me from Airfix.

How is there a superior alternative on the market already? You haven't seen the Airfix kit yet, it may turn out to be superior to the Hasegawa kit, best wait until people have had the chance to see and review the kit before making such judgements.

thanks

Mike

• Like 3

If there's one source of all the pre-Telford speculation it would seem to be that on the IPMS scale modelworld page; http://smwshow.com/news.php

September 16th 2014
Scale ModelWorld 2014 - the Show Manager Reports...
Whilst we are on the subject of traders, Airfix will be announcing a large new model at 11:00 on Saturday at the SMW 2914, I am lead to believe that it will be in 1/24 scale.

Which started the ball rolling on Britmodeller and some facebook pages.

Even though the only 1/24 kit I would probably have bought would have been a Gladiator, I do feel its been a a bit of an anticlimax.

However, I'm still looking forward to seeing what Airfix produce in the future, and they are ticking many of the right boxes in their subject choices.

I guess as they're the leading kit manufacturer in the UK, and the fact we all grew up with their products, then we all have more than passing interest in what they do. And the brand is somewhat part of our collective culture,making us just a little more passionate about our thoughts and feelings on what they release, or in this case, maybe didn't. :weep:

From my eyes LIDHAR is a really interesting step, and I'm already wondering what aircraft in UK and European museums could get the treatment. And with that raw data available, what's involved and what timescale to produce the same type in another scale.

All in all though I think the future of modelling and new releases, is looking fairly heatlthy.

Edited by 2wheels
  • Like 1

As I said, there will always be people who are disappointed every year. That's unavoidable.

So far, for the past few years, Airfix have produced several kits each year that have been of interest to me and that I've bought. Maybe I've been lucky so far. Maybe next year there will be nothing for me.Who knows. But if that is the case I'll just start to reduce the stash. I have no proof, but I'm guessing that there are few aircraft modellers that don't find something of interest each year. After all it's in Airfix's best commercial interests to produce a range of kits that appeal to the widest audience.

With regard to the "large new kit", I don't think I saw or heard any "official" Airfix hints about that. Although having said that, we still don't know what surprises Airfix may have up their sleeve when they announce the rest of the 2015 catalogue. Would a 1/72 Shackleton qualify as a "large new kit" say? Or how about a 1/48 Beaufighter? Would that qualify as large? Or is a kit only large if it's 1/24? Do the actual dimensions come into it regardless of scale? I guess it's a matter of perception.

The "big announcement" however, was surely a masterstroke of marketing. It got people talking and generated a huge amount of interest, never a bad thing. Sure, those expecting a big kit are disappointed, but that's what happens when people let their imaginations run away. I also wonder how many people complaining about no "big kit" would actually be in the market for one anyway.

As you say, let's wait and see what else Airfix have in store for 2015. I, for one, am looking forward to it.

Spot on.

They called it right on the publicity. The announced subject matter does not pique my interest, but it's clear what Airfix's strategy by rotating is way through their preferred three scales of 1/72, 1/48 and 1/24, for their so called big announcement. I make it 1/72 this year.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

Who need another Hellcat in 1/48 or 1/72 ? Eduard is relative new and in striking quality, with overlap panels and accurate parts for all version... Really may be Airfix better ? No, Airfix made one version and finito... (Eduard Weekend cost 7GBP)

I desperate need a:

1/24 Hawker Tempest Mk. V - Grande Charles in Grand Scale !!!

1/48 Allies heavy bombers... all...

1/48 Marauder and Invader and British medium bombers (without "Wimpy"...)

1/48 Tempest Mk. V

1/48: Spitfire Mk. Vc

1/48: Hawker Hart !!!!

aaand Bulldog too !!!! (This aircraft really looks as dog...)

1/72: Cheap and accurate Mosquito.... (Old was nice...)

1/72: Cheap and accurate Beaufighter (Hasegawa was too old...)

1/72: Spitfire Mk. V - with ALL subversions - Mk. Vc....

1/72:Better Halifax...

1/72: He-219 Uhu - Revell is ancient, Dragon is for very expirienced and very patienced modelers...

1/72: P-61 Black Widow dtto...

1/72: B-17 isn´t good idea. New tool Lancaster (without Hercules powered) was soon in sale... (Peoples have at their stocks Revell and Hasegawa...) and B-24 too not, Hasegawa was gorgeous... But is relative expensive... And Academy (respective Academy-Minicraft) released all B-17 - old versions too...
1/72: and many many British after and WW II types.... Battle, Lysander, Meteor (DML was expensive). I´m like a Hawker Hart and Bristol Bulldog !
1/72: Handley Page Hampden - pleease Airfix !!!!
And few USSR WW II types was too nice :))) (La-5FN, Yak 1, Yak 7, Yak 9, Il-4 and Pe-2) Maybe cheapest Il-2m3 late... (Tamiya is nice but expensive.)
And Ju-87B-2... Old was too nice and accurate....

Who need another Hellcat in 1/48 or 1/72 ? Eduard is relative new and in striking quality, with overlap panels and accurate parts for all version... Really may be Airfix better ? No, Airfix made one version and finito... (Eduard Weekend cost 7GBP)

1/72: Cheap and accurate Mosquito.... (Old was nice...)

1/72: Spitfire Mk. V - with ALL subversions - Mk. Vc....

1/72:Better Halifax...

1/72: Handley Page Hampden - pleease Airfix !!!!

plus this

1/72: Bristol Beaufort

1/72: Short Stirling

1/72: Vickers Wellington

1/72: Armstrong Whitworth Whitley

1/72: Avro Manchester

1/72: Fairey Barracuda

plus this

1/72: Bristol Beaufort

1/72: Short Stirling

1/72: Vickers Wellington

1/72: Armstrong Whitworth Whitley

1/72: Avro Manchester

1/72: Fairey Barracuda

The problem with that list is that some of them already exist in fairly new modern tooled kits. Airfix might be wiser to do the kits no other major plastic manufacturer has done recently. The Beaufort, Whitley, Barracuda and Manchester would all be welcome, as would a new Hampden and Battle. Maybe in a few years it might make sense for Airfix to do a new Wellington or Stirling, unless of course they do different marks then the other companies kits.

thanks

Mike

PS, although in the case of the Stirling, an Airfix one would be much cheaper than the £40 Italeri one and therefore might still be worth doing anyway.

Edited by Mikemx

What a statement! That makes me feel old. Hasegawa's Beau was released as a new tool to much acclaim in 1998, well within the era of their new generation of kits.

A comfort is whatever disappointment is felt about aircraft that have not yet been kitted or re-done that even when they are there will still be lots wrong with them and fatal flaws discovered once the initial feeding frenzy and clamour has abated. Kits acclaimed when first released soon mysteriously become unbuildable POS ("too old") and there must be a grapevine in operation because it's not always easy to discover exactly what the "problems" are.

The problem with that list is that some of them already exist in fairly new modern tooled kits. Airfix might be wiser to do the kits no other major plastic manufacturer has done recently. The Beaufort, Whitley, Barracuda and Manchester would all be welcome, as would a new Hampden and Battle. Maybe in a few years it might make sense for Airfix to do a new Wellington or Stirling, unless of course they do different marks then the other companies kits.

thanks

Mike

PS, although in the case of the Stirling, an Airfix one would be much cheaper than the £40 Italeri one and therefore might still be worth doing anyway.

I can see no reason why Airfix should fill niches that no other manufacturer has yet filled. Obscure subjects may be nice to us enthusiasts but don't necessarily guarantee the kind of sales needed to return the investment on tools. One thing is selling the units needed to repay a short run kit, another story is selling the numbers needed to pay for a mainstream kit.

Until now most of Airfix new kits have been of popular subjects, often of subjects already in the catalogue for which Airfix already knew the commercial potential. There's been a Swift but this was together with Spitfires, Mustangs, Bf-109s and so on. These kits are pumping cash into the company, would things like a Beaufort or something similar do the same ? Not too likely IMHO....

This of course also applies to others, there's a reason why Revell just issued yet another Corsair instead of launching say a Fokker D.XXI

As is often said, better have 10% of a milion unit market than 100% of a 10,000 pieces market....

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 3

Not sure if im pulling things slightly off topic here but does anyone know why Airfix seem to avoid the 1/32 market?

I did hear that to enter into a new scale requires the commitment to create a range that would create mutually supporting sales in that scale, that requires investment and a continued production of new kits on a regular basis. The Airfix large aircraft scale is 1/24, they already have a number of kits in that scale and have a relative strong position as there are few competing manufacturers or kits. They can do a new 1/24 kit every 3 years and place it into that range and 1/24 kits do still sell very well for Airfix, note the strong sales of the Mossie and Typhoon..

Airfix like to have multiple boxing possibilities for starter sets and gift sets etc, a case in point is the "new" 1/48 Afghan range in 1/48 scale, all the kits could be linked together and they could also be cross used with the helicopter kits in that scale. For the 1/350 ship kits, Airifx committed to 3 new kits therefore they have a range, albeit a small one. In the case of the ships Airfix acknowledge that the default scales are now 1/350 and 1/700, so any new kits will be in those scales.

By comparison they have no existing 1/32 kits except some vehicles, the competition is huge and the resources needed to do enough kits to produce a range would mean there is little budget left over for other areas. From the annual accounts the starter and gift sets are major drivers of sales for Airfix along with some larger more specialist kits for the mature modeller, while the 1/72 and 1/24 scale kits meet these needs I don't think Airfix would take the risk in investing in another market such as 1/32.

But then that's just personal conjecture...

Edited by Richard M
  • Like 1