New Airfix : He 111, Defiant & Sea King

Ossington 2

I thought these WWI were going to be re-pops of old sets? Were they listed as new tools? If they were planned to be in that horrid vinyl, then in my opinion it is no loss that they were dropped. For children, larger figures are more suitable; and for serious modellers, the fragility of polystyrene is more than compensated for by the fact that paint adheres to it, and you can re-pose them easily as common glues will stick the stuff back together, unlike vinyl.

There were going to be some new items to be included with the re-issues. Apparently the figure detail wasn't up to the standard that Airfix wanted so they were initially delayed while that was worked on. Looks like they have now been cancelled, maybe because the sets missed their optimum moment as a result of the production delays. The new items may well be issued for next year as individual items rather than as a part of sets, not long to wait until we know what is in the 2015 range.

Edited by Richard M

Of course there's this one for the whiffers....

defiant-bpa4.jpg

Mock up as a single seater with wing guns....

from http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/aircraft/types/boulton-paul-defiant.htm

Variants
Requirement Specification: F.9/35 (prototypes), F.5/37 (production)
Manufacturers Designation: P.82
Development History:
first prototype One aircraft with 1,030 hp Merlin I engine. Turret not fitted initially.
second prototype One aircraft with 1,030 hp Merlin II engine. Several detail changes – much closer to production standard.
Defiant F. Mk I Initial day-fighter version.
Defiant N.F. Mk I Night-fighter conversion of F. Mk I. Flame damper exhausts, no radar.
Defiant N.F. Mk IA Night fighter conversion of F. Mk I with AI Mk IV or VI radar fitted.
Defiant Mk II prototypes Two F. Mk I aircraft fitted with 1,260 hp Merlin XX engine, increased fuel capacity, larger rudder and deeper oil cooler and radiator.
Defiant N.F. Mk II Production version of improved day-fighter version with 1,260 hp Merlin XX engine. Same designation with and without radar.
Defiant T.T. Mk I Version of Mk II for Target-tug role with turret removed and winch installed. New production and 150 conversions.
Defiant T.T. Mk II Projected version of Target-tug with 1,620 hp Merlin 24 engine and loaded weight reduced to 7,500 lb.
Defiant T.T. Mk III Version of Mk I converted for Target-tug role with turret removed and winch installed. 150 conversions.
Defiant ASR Mk I 76 conversions of Mk I aircraft for Air-Sea Rescue role.
Defiant Conversion of at least 9 Mk II aircraft for radar jamming role with ‘Moonshine’ installed.
Defiant Conversion of several Defiants for radar jamming role with ‘Mandrel’ installed.
Defiant Single-Seat Fighter Projected conversion with turret space faired over and armament of two 0.303 machine guns in each wing. Mock-up up built by converting first prototype, but no production.
Defiant Trainer Projected dual-control trainer version with turret replaced by second cockpit. Design work stopped when 80% complete.
P.85 Projected naval fighter version of F. Mk I with Bristol Hercules or Merlin engine, but Blackburn Roc ordered instead.
P.94 Project for improved single-seat fighter version with Merkin XX engine, cut-down rear fuselage and wings equipped for 12 machine guns or four 20 mm cannon + 4 machine guns.
cheers
T

Great info Troy, never knew there were as many proposed variants. My idea of a whiff would be a contra-rotating Griffin powered, cut-down fuselage, tear dropped canopy and four cannoned armed beast with drop tanks!.

Seriously though, with this new tooling I can see the Defiant continuing a good seller for Airfix. I will be buying a few for sure!.

I think where the market differs in between 1/72 and 1/48 apart from the practical considerations is 1/72 is there to have every type, whilst 1/48 focuses on sub type. Where I think Airfix misses a trick at both scales is it should focus on a couple and air campaigns like the BoB and Bomber offensive nail them and produce a shed load of after market to enable conversions and variations. It strikes me people don't just want a plane they want the ability to have a specific unit and pilot.

I think where the market differs in between 1/72 and 1/48 apart from the practical considerations is 1/72 is there to have every type, whilst 1/48 focuses on sub type. Where I think Airfix misses a trick at both scales is it should focus on a couple and air campaigns like the BoB and Bomber offensive nail them and produce a shed load of after market to enable conversions and variations. It strikes me people don't just want a plane they want the ability to have a specific unit and pilot.

I think you over-estimate how many people want to build a specific plane, I'd suggest much less than 1%. Modellers on this website and displaying at shows are a very small part of the hobby, and simply don't want aftermarket, they just want to select the pretty box off the shelf, go home and make it (guilty as charged!).

The fact that Airfix does not have every variant of the Spitfire in 1/72 (possibly the most popular plane in the UK at that scale), seems to indicate that the market just won't support them.

I tend to think that Airfix understands the current market, and the demands of the market (i.e. normal people not people like us!). It's clear that the Airfix market is not people who want or need resin & etch.

I think you over-estimate how many people want to build a specific plane, I'd suggest much less than 1%. Modellers on this website and displaying at shows are a very small part of the hobby, and simply don't want aftermarket, they just want to select the pretty box off the shelf, go home and make it (guilty as charged!).

The fact that Airfix does not have every variant of the Spitfire in 1/72 (possibly the most popular plane in the UK at that scale), seems to indicate that the market just won't support them.

I tend to think that Airfix understands the current market, and the demands of the market (i.e. normal people not people like us!). It's clear that the Airfix market is not people who want or need resin & etch.

I think there are a lot more people than just the 1% that want a specific plane, every time I visit my local model shops I seem to see the same group of people in them. Also the more casual model makers mostly tend to want things like Spitfires, Hurricanes, Lancasters, Mosquitos, Stukas and 109s, and basically all the other well known types.

I agree with the rest of what you wrote, especially about building straight out the box. Personally the only after market stuff that I buy are the occasional transfers. I don't see the point in spending time and money on parts of a model that will never be seen once finished like the cockpit, I'm not even that bothered by the undersides as once its finished I don't start picking the model up to have a look underneath. I tend to think that with a good kit there is no need to buy aftermarket parts.

My policy is to draw a line as far as accuracy is concerned and not worry about things that don't stick out like a sore thumb. For example I am currently building a Matchbox Torbeau, I was tempted to buy new engines for it but found some Wellington ones in my spares box that were good enough once I had cut them down a bit. The Matchbox Torbeau is bad kit only if you know what a real Beaufighter looks like.

I think there are a lot more people than just the 1% that want a specific plane, every time I visit my local model shops I seem to see the same group of people in them. Also the more casual model makers mostly tend to want things like Spitfires, Hurricanes, Lancasters, Mosquitos, Stukas and 109s, and basically all the other well known types.

I agree with the rest of what you wrote, especially about building straight out the box. Personally the only after market stuff that I buy are the occasional transfers. I don't see the point in spending time and money on parts of a model that will never be seen once finished like the cockpit, I'm not even that bothered by the undersides as once its finished I don't start picking the model up to have a look underneath. I tend to think that with a good kit there is no need to buy aftermarket parts.

My policy is to draw a line as far as accuracy is concerned and not worry about things that don't stick out like a sore thumb. For example I am currently building a Matchbox Torbeau, I was tempted to buy new engines for it but found some Wellington ones in my spares box that were good enough once I had cut them down a bit. The Matchbox Torbeau is bad kit only if you know what a real Beaufighter looks like.

You stated it yourself, you see the same group of modellers in the shop you visit. Airfix doesn't just sell in model shops to modellers. Airfix are able to get their kits into other outlets, hence why they have so many starter sets in their range.

It's easy as a modeller visiting sites like these to assume that we are the only customers for these kits, when in fact we are a very small minority.

The reason why some of the other manufacturers focus on 1/48 & 1/32 obscure types is that their market is almost entirely made up of hobbyists like us and would love to have the volume that Airfix have.

It's easy to demand that Airfix MUST produce for example a 1/48th Vulcan, but it will probably never happen because they will sell slowly and be a poor return on investment (see Nimrod for details!). For the same investment costs, Airfix can probably produce 2 guaranteed 1/72 bankers and 1 more obscure type.

So when a good chunk of your market is smaller starter sets, why bother investing in resin and etch? I think Aifix gets it right, basically accurate kits which can be built without too many difficulties. If the 1% of the market wants to tart them up with resin and etch, then fine there's plenty of cottage industry companies willing to provide the service for a price.

Airfix have dipped into the photo-etch slightly. They haves sets for the Coyote/Jackal, Warrior and Landrovers [OP Herrick ones].

I bought the set for my Jackal, but how many happy hobby modellers will buy it. Its £9.99 for a set. Many happy hobby modellers don't want to spend hardly anything more on extra bits. Thats why the Airfix/Revell sets with paint & glue in them sell so well.

We've gone through the Defiant, now what about the other two? :fight:

Who'll start? :poke:

He111 [note I wrote 111 and not III] or Sea King? :shrug:

:fool:

Did anyone see the article in the yesterday's business supplement of the Telegraph? It strongly suggested that Airfix was a pivitol brand in the Hornby business port-folio and played a significant part in reducing their operating deficit this financial year. Citing the 1/24 Typhoon as being a big seller despite it's £99 price tag.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

My apologies I was not meaning to knock out of box builds which is what I build I was I trying to say that Airfix should have modules that can adapt their kits, for example if you buy a 1/48 109e it would be nice if yo were able to buy A Molders module or an Abbeville boys module. At the minute airfix have 3 me109E's which seems a bit odd surely they could design a base kit and have aftermarket modules for the various versions and theatres.

You stated it yourself, you see the same group of modellers in the shop you visit. Airfix doesn't just sell in model shops to modellers. Airfix are able to get their kits into other outlets, hence why they have so many starter sets in their range.

It's easy as a modeller visiting sites like these to assume that we are the only customers for these kits, when in fact we are a very small minority.

The reason why some of the other manufacturers focus on 1/48 & 1/32 obscure types is that their market is almost entirely made up of hobbyists like us and would love to have the volume that Airfix have.

It's easy to demand that Airfix MUST produce for example a 1/48th Vulcan, but it will probably never happen because they will sell slowly and be a poor return on investment (see Nimrod for details!). For the same investment costs, Airfix can probably produce 2 guaranteed 1/72 bankers and 1 more obscure type.

So when a good chunk of your market is smaller starter sets, why bother investing in resin and etch? I think Aifix gets it right, basically accurate kits which can be built without too many difficulties. If the 1% of the market wants to tart them up with resin and etch, then fine there's plenty of cottage industry companies willing to provide the service for a price.

I don't think that Airfix needs to release 1.48 Vulcan or start putting resin and photo-etched parts in their kits, what I said was that a kit should be ready to build straight out the box and not need all that kind of stuff.

Airfix kits do not always go together well, a lot of their older kits have very badly fitting parts and can not make a nice finished model without a lot of work.

Unlike in the 1970's models can no longer be found for sale in every papershop and small toyshop in the country, if you want a kit these days you have to know where to look and I expect a large percentage are now bought online. Again unlike in the 1970's kids and teenagers are no longer heavily into model building, the market has changed and now it is mostly adults. Having said that even as a child choice was a very important thing, in fact more so in some ways.

Did anyone see the article in the yesterday's business supplement of the Telegraph? It strongly suggested that Airfix was a pivitol brand in the Hornby business port-folio and played a significant part in reducing their operating deficit this financial year. Citing the 1/24 Typhoon as being a big seller despite it's £99 price tag.

Here if anyone wants to read it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/11246729/Hornby-cuts-losses-as-Flying-Scotsman-and-Hawker-Typhoon-boost-sales.html