New Airfix : He 111, Defiant & Sea King

Ossington 2

Yes the Defiant probably can be considered a failure but if model companies were only to release kits of aircraft that were successful then the modelling world would be very boring indeed.

If we accept that the Defiant failed in the role for which it was primarily planned, you could also argue the same for the bf110 - can you imagine the furore if there were no kits of that because it was a "failure". Sure it had success in its early Blitzkrieg days and later as a night fighter, but it HAD to change roles because events overtook it.

The Defiant also had a modicum of success early on but had to resort to other roles later. I can't see the difference myself.

Edited by dad's lad
  • Like 6

Good afternoon all

I think most of Airfix fans already know but saddly

http://www.airfix.com/news/airfix-sea-day-2014/

I hope other models announced this year (I.E Blenheim IV and others ..) will not be cancelled ..and eventually be released latter this year or at the beginning of 2015 .

Patrice

Model Zone is a good indicator that Airfix and Revell are not ahead in the game - Model zone was left with a huge stock that consisted mainly of Airfix kits and Revell kits - take a look at the Model Centre in Croydon that bought up all the old stock - Merlins up to your ears and 1/48 Land Rovers and Jackals...for me this is proof that Airfix didn't do the right research on these particular kits

I'm sorry - what now?! That doesn't prove anything and is certainly not a way of judging whether or not a kit, or series of kits, is a success. It just may be that that shop had exhausted its list of customers that wanted those particular kits! It's not an illustration of their success generally, so unless you have sales figures to back up this theory, it might be best to file it under 'supposition' rather than offering as what appears to be, a rather off the mark opinion, with no basis in fact... ;)

Spence

• Like 2

The Operation Herrick kits are being sold off by Airfix cheaply due, say they, because of over stocking and the move to new warehousing where they have to pay for every cubic meter of space.

Other kits are also being sold off cheaply in the big sale which has been going on for a couple of months now.

Over stock is not the same as 'getting it wrong' subject wise.

However I feel that Airfix are resting on their laurels by retooling old subjects. I think Airfix should be a little more bold and announce a brand new kit each year...

A new kit each year? That would severely limit Airfix.

So far this year;

EE Lightning 2A

EE Lightning 6

Hawker Typhoon 1/24

Mary Rose

Bristol Blenheim 1

Willy's Airborne jeep

Supermarine Swift

Folland Gnat 1/48

These are all new kits, not re-tools.

Several more were announced but have been delayed in release.

Then there are the new tooling to replace several kits.

Good afternoon all

I hope other models announced this year (I.E Blenheim IV and others ..) will not be cancelled ..and eventually be released latter this year or at the beginning of 2015 .

Patrice

I don't read that as the kits being cancelled, just that they aren't being released on the date scheduled.

Good afternoon all

Patrice

Just delayed, nothing cancelled - good PR by Airfix.

Marty...

• Like 1

Airfix A50144 WWI The First Assault Gift Set - Cancelled

AirfixA50145 WWI Artillery Barrage Gift Set - Cancelled

Airfix A50165 WWI Western Front (Trench Warfare) Gift Set - Cancelled

That'll teach me not to read to the bottom.

Concerning my remark about Model Zone and the kits left on the shelves - I back this up by having talked to several mangers of MZ at the time and all criticised Airfix.

I am not here to bad mouth Airfix as many seem to think but as I say I think they could be a little bolder.

I shall refrain from further on this thread as I know some will be here vieiwng my comments and take them out of context.

Suffice to say that I am nostalgic over Airfix like most here but I also look to the future and feel Airfix are still quite a lot in the past - I applaud some of their releases and on the other hand I also deplore some - and as I said much earlier - it is my opinion.

• Like 1

Concerning my remark about Model Zone and the kits left on the shelves - I back this up by having talked to several mangers of MZ at the time and all criticised Airfix.

I am not here to bad mouth Airfix as many seem to think but as I say I think they could be a little bolder.

I shall refrain from further on this thread as I know some will be here vieiwng my comments and take them out of context.

Suffice to say that I am nostalgic over Airfix like most here but I also look to the future and feel Airfix are still quite a lot in the past - I applaud some of their releases and on the other hand I also deplore some - and as I said much earlier - it is my opinion.

"Quite a lot in the past"?

The context there would appear to be you're behind the times. Another personal wish list being passed off as being what everyone one wants.

"Quite a lot in the past"?

The context there would appear to be you're behind the times. Another personal wish list being passed off as being what everyone else wants.

Edited by Albert RN

Don't forget one thing. All them kits in left shops have still been bought by the shops, so Airfix will have had their money for them, which is still sales for Airfix, it doesn't matter to them who ends up with them as long as they sell them and get paid.

thanks

Mike

Don't forget one thing. All them kits in left shops have still been bought by the shops, so Airfix will have had their money for them, which is still sales for Airfix, it doesn't matter to them who ends up with them as long as they sell them and get paid.

thanks

Mike

A bit like the 100+ kits I have in my loft, a number of which I bought second hand and so have just been passed from stash to stash since the 1970's without ever being made.

PS. Modelzone was a bad shop, I went in one of their shops quite often and added some bargains to my stash, but before their kits were reduced they were a good deal more expensive than my local independent model shop, who was paying Airfix a lot more for his kits than Modelzone was. As soon as you walked in a Modelzone shop you could tell straight away the whole thing was doomed, it was like watching a clown dance across a mine field.

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 3

I totally disagree with your statements. They've just brought out a 1/24 Typhoon, but they aren't being bold?

They are retooling lots of aircraft that people have been crying out for, but they are living in the past?

What Airfix have done for scale aircraft modelling in particular over the last few years has been superb and the future looks very promising too. I'm not sure why they are receiving criticism??????

• Like 7

My tuppence worth on Modelzone

The entire shop in Birmingham seemed to be staffed by boys (and girls) who enjoyed playing with electric whizzycars and copters

I was never able to find a single member of staff who knew anything about modelmaking

If I calumnise one of them, it might be because he or she ran for cover if anyone approached the till with a questioning look on their face :(

As for Airfix, I'm happy with their new approach as explained at SMW and will be taking a few of their intended new releases as and when

Certainly the Defiant and HC4 Westland Commando

• Like 1

I, like many on this site, grew up making Airfix kits and I'm pleased with the direction they've taken in the past few years with retooling old kits and coming out with new ones. And if they come out with a new-mould Shackleton I shall never have anything bad to say about them, ever (except for their Il-2 - now there's a kit that either needs to be permanently binned or done as a new-mould; I know Tamiya have done the swept-winged version already, but how about a proper wooden-fuselaged single-seater Il-2 in 1/72nd scale, available with both the wooden-covered and metal-covered wings?).

Regards,

Jason

My tuppence worth on Modelzone

The entire shop in Birmingham seemed to be staffed by boys (and girls) who enjoyed playing with electric whizzycars and copters

I was never able to find a single member of staff who knew anything about modelmaking

If I calumnise one of them, it might be because he or she ran for cover if anyone approached the till with a questioning look on their face :(

As for Airfix, I'm happy with their new approach as explained at SMW and will be taking a few of their intended new releases as and when

Certainly the Defiant and HC4 Westland Commando

The Modelzone in Southampton was a lot like that as well. Independent model shops on the other hand seem to be run by people who know just what to stock (not just kits, but all the rest of it as well), know what they are talking about and are willing to use their knowledge to help customers out. From what I have been told by model shop owners the benefits of the customer service they offer does not seem to be realised by Airfix and other manufacturers.

A few Modelzone branches I occasionally frequented had some proper modellers amongst the staff. I never heard any criticism of Airfix from them, but plenty of criticism of Modelzone's hierarchy and stock policies.

Though I often visited the stores, what I bought was invariably from the reduced stock, I can't think of anything which came from them at full price. I suspect I'm pretty typical of the average modeller (rather than casual buyer) in this respect,

Cheers,

Bill.

I've tried hard to keep out of this silly argument about Airfix resting on their laurels, their inherent lack of interest in 1/48 and all the other BS that a particular member keeps constantly suggesting on this thread.... I appreciate that we all have the right to voice our opinion's, however like the classic Defiant, it appears that your opinions have constantly been shot down in droves..

Perhaps it may be time to take a good look at that photo on your avatar - and get on your bike!!!

Cheers .. Dave.

• Like 7

Though I often visited the stores, what I bought was invariably from the reduced stock, I can't think of anything which came from them at full price. I suspect I'm pretty typical of the average modeller (rather than casual buyer) in this respect,

Cheers,

Bill.

I believe every human being is attracted by whatever is available at reduced price and we modellers are no exception... I've bought things I'd have never imagined buying only because they were "too cheap to be left on the shelves". I mean, what else could bring someone like me, who's mostly into cold war jets, to buy a resin Fw.159 kit ??? :lol:

• Like 2

Airfix A50144 WWI The First Assault Gift Set - Cancelled

AirfixA50145 WWI Artillery Barrage Gift Set - Cancelled

Airfix A50165 WWI Western Front (Trench Warfare) Gift Set - Cancelled

That's a pity, I was looking forward to those

Model Zone is a good indicator that Airfix and Revell are not ahead in the game - Model zone was left with a huge stock that consisted mainly of Airfix kits and Revell kits

Sorry, that's a crock of horse poo, it shows that the MZ buyers and marketers didn't understand their market - and oh look they went bust! MZ for years had overstocks of Revell kits that were sold cheap.

Edited by Dave Fleming

I believe every human being is attracted by whatever is available at reduced price and we modellers are no exception... I've bought things I'd have never imagined buying only because they were "too cheap to be left on the shelves". I mean, what else could bring someone like me, who's mostly into cold war jets, to buy a resin Fw.159 kit ??? :lol:

'Cos it's the male modeller equivalent of a new pair of shoes? :)

• Like 1

I am probably stating the obvious but Airfix must have cancelled the three First World War gift sets because they were to late for the 1914-2014 centenary. Airfix seem to have a habit of being late for anniversaries, perhaps Airfix should put a women in charge of making sure that all their anniversary themed releases are in the shops in time for the anniversary of the event they were designed to mark. Think of all the money that must have been lost designing these gift sets, and all the profit missed through lost sales.

We will probably see these gift sets again down for release in 2018 and on the shelves in 2019, while some while argue that technically the war didn't end until 1919 it won't help sales.

• Like 2

This is whar can be read on Plastic Soldier Review concerning Airfix First World War gift sets...

Airfix cancels new sets
Unfortunately yesterday Airfix announced that they had cancelled all of their planned World War I figure and battle sets. Whether they will return to making figures in the future is not known, but this news will disappoint many who like us were looking forward to seeing Airfix become a strong player in the hobby once more.